Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

When I first started trying to write music a couple years ago, I'd just sit with my guitar and noodle, see what riffs came out and then quickly either hand write out the tab or have GuitarPro open on my laptop so I can get the tab down so I don't forget it.

This is basically how I still write, although now I use the drum loops on my guitar pedal as a base to help me get into a mood as I jam out riffs. If I stumble on something I like, I tab it out and then try to get it recorded so I have a version of it.

I've generally gotten better about not trying to cram every idea that comes to mind into a single riff/recording, if I've got another riff I think will work with the one I already wrote, I'll play back the recording of the previous riff to see how it fits and make adjustments from there.

Ambient stuff tends to be "Plug in controller, load up a VST, press keys until something sounds decent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread