Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Over the years I have tried to become more deliberate with my studio sessions. I will go into a session with the intent to create new stuff OR to finish old stuff but never both. And then I try to balance these two types of sessions so I am not spending all of my time on just one. Having a rough plan or goal before a studio session really helped me not get lost and at the end of four hours, have nothing to show for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I have spring break off (HS teacher), and I'm planning on recording and polishing a few songs I've had in the works now for over a year. I'll aim for 4 songs out of the 10 or so candidates I have. I will be trying Reaper after years of working with Audacity. I really enjoy using the software as an instrument. Recording my acoustic guitar and vocal track, and then overlaying other sounds and tracks I think might help out the original idea/vibe. So far each of my recording sessions has resulted in very different types of music. It's exciting not knowing how things will wind up sounding until the end. Go with the flow, and all that.

That's funny, I had a recording session similar to that recently. I was making a beat and for some reason I felt like acoustic guitar would fit well with it so I started jamming a few different riffs/chords together trying to find something that worked. Nothing fit like I thought it would. Out of all the guitar takes, I only liked one little part where I did a slide. So I ended up recording the slide again, but backwards, and then reversed the sample in Ableton. I found that guitars sound really cool when you reverse the audio and after adding a bit of Reverb and Ping Pong delay, I had a super cool effect that doesn't sound anything like an acoustic guitar haha.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Really cool. That's exactly the kind of thing I meant by using the studio software as an instrument.

Sometimes after I've added a few tracks, I mute my original acoustic guitar track, and often find a wonderfully sparse arrangement hiding underneath.

I was working on a bassline the other night using my Korg Minilogue and when I was listening to the 4-bars back, something just didn't sound quite right and it was too busy. I ended up just completely deleting the first 2 bars and just having a listen and it sounded 100x better. I feel like the majority of the time I have a breakthrough, its the result of deleting something lol.

• Locked thread