Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Usually I will have a riff or two that I like, so I’ll put together a beat that matches, then record them to the beat. Then I’ll expand on the beat, adding or removing complexities, and figure out what should come next, until I have something resembling a song.

Then I work on a vocal part by mumbling gibberish in a basic melody. Then I’ll listen to the gibberish and pick out things that sound like words, or at least match it with words that have enough syllables to fit, and expand the lyrics that way.

Then I tinker with it for a while until I have it just right, and then re-record the whole thing, add more instruments, and mix it.

Sometimes I will set a challenge for myself. For example, this weekend I challenged myself to record an entire song using only one microphone and four tracks. It ended up being 10 tracks, but still all recorded with one mic. Success!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread