Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Girardi thing is worrying to me because he's the type of garbage player Boston management loves to sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Re-sign Parayko already, Doug.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Girardi thing is worrying to me because he's the type of garbage player Boston every team's management loves to sign

Fixed it for you

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Fixed it for you

The Canucks are apparently interested in Karl Alzner because he's from BC and they're stupid. Fortunately there's no hope of him signing with them, but I can't believe they didn't learn their lesson about 'hard nosed' defensive defencemen after the Sbisa/Gudbranson twin fiascos of shittiness.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

a false posted:

is nashville letting mike fisher walk. also is cbj letting sam gagner walk. i'd take either of them on a short deal

I don't know if Fisher is retiring but I can't see him wanting to go anywhere else and the team would probably give him another year if he wanted.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/879397804661256197

Happy for Kassian, he deserves it. :unsmith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Twin Cinema posted:

Here's a list of the players up for HHOF induction today, and my thoughts:

No Way: Joseph

:smith:

somewhere schroedinger's cat smiles and searches his house frantically for his wife

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Fixed it for you

So true. My first thought was "oh poo poo I could totally see JR giving Girardi a lovely deal saying that his veteran leadership will be just what the Pens need to 3peat" but then I realized that probably every single fanbase (except NYR) has good reason to be worried

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Lou is going to sign Dan Girardi to replace Roman Polak

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

As a Leafs fan, I would love to have Joseph in the Hall. However, because goalies have such a difficult time getting inducted. Since 1990, only Smith, Fuhr, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, and Vachon have been inducted. After looking at their respective careers, I think Barrasso and Joseph are a lot closer than I originally had thought, so maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on Joseph in my post. Maybe I am now rethinking this!

I was looking at the Vezina voting in 1999, and Joseph just barely lost the Vezina to Hasek. Hasek was the better goalie, no doubt (.937 SV% compared to a .910, for starters), but Joseph actually took more 1st place votes than Hasek. However, Hasek ate up a whole ton of second-place votes. It seems that while voters were split between Hasek and Joseph (Dafoe actually equalled Hasek's first-place votes, too), all the voters who thought Joseph/Dafoe were #1 then thought that Hasek was #2. Joseph didn't really have many votes outside of #1, in comparison to the top-4.

I hope that last paragraph was as fun for everyone else as it was for me.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Matt Zerella posted:

I'll take Lehtonen cheap to back up Hank and work with Allaire.

He can bring that Final Fantasy mask to Pittsburgh on the cheap. Pens need a backup.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/879414766158139393

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

loving :laffo: jacobs

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

lol gently caress jeremy jacobs

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think we can all agree that no matter how you feel about dave andreychuk, jeremy jacobs is by far the worst inclusion in this hhof class

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
maybe that old lich won't cause another lockout now that his ego has been sated

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mean I guess he probably gives money to foundations but that's basically every owner, I assume

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Jacobs? Have they added a "Destroyers" category?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

As a Leafs fan, I would love to have Joseph in the Hall. However, because goalies have such a difficult time getting inducted. Since 1990, only Smith, Fuhr, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, and Vachon have been inducted. After looking at their respective careers, I think Barrasso and Joseph are a lot closer than I originally had thought, so maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on Joseph in my post. Maybe I am now rethinking this!

I was looking at the Vezina voting in 1999, and Joseph just barely lost the Vezina to Hasek. Hasek was the better goalie, no doubt (.937 SV% compared to a .910, for starters), but Joseph actually took more 1st place votes than Hasek. However, Hasek ate up a whole ton of second-place votes. It seems that while voters were split between Hasek and Joseph (Dafoe actually equalled Hasek's first-place votes, too), all the voters who thought Joseph/Dafoe were #1 then thought that Hasek was #2. Joseph didn't really have many votes outside of #1, in comparison to the top-4.

I hope that last paragraph was as fun for everyone else as it was for me.
There was a weird backlash against Hasek that year (mostly on the personal side), coupled with some Joseph appreciation campaign that got him pretty surprising Vezina and Hart consideration. Hasek finished behind Yashin in the Hart voting, which is a bizarre choice in retrospect. Hasek was at least as good as he was the previous 2 years when he won landslide Hart votes. CuJo got a lot of credit for turning around the Leafs but they went from the 4th worst offense in 98 to the best in 99, and he had better seasons after while getting much less consideration.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'm glad Kariya and Recchi are in.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean I guess he probably gives money to foundations but that's basically every owner, I assume

rich people love tax writeoffs

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Jeremy Jacobs spent like $600,000 on local politics because he was mad about an Akon concert.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This dude's dad is in the HHoF now

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
well, I'm happy Recchi finally made it in at least

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rip Niemi. You were never good and I loving hate you.

G'work, Nill. Only about 2.5 years too late.

Also, the Stars signed esa lin... Ah, who am I kidding, no one cares.

Countdown till bishop gets rrrrrreal bad.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Thufir posted:

Jeremy Jacobs spent like $600,000 on local politics because he was mad about an Akon concert.

quote:

"That didn’t go over too well," said Mason Phelps, a former equestrian who today serves as a Jacobs family spokesman in Wellington. "Nor did we want to attract the kind of people the Akon concert would attract to this community…. The people that go and listen to and like Akon are not Wellingtonites. It’s just a different crowd of people. I don’t mean to sound like a snob, but this is a fairly upscale community, and we don’t need to bring the low- and middle-income hooligans into town and have them all of a sudden say, Wow, good pickins’ out here."

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

That's pretty tame for Boston tbh.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Zubov is never going to get in eh

e: Girardi would be an upgrade for the Devils

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 26, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

fits posted:

put clare drake in the goddamn hhof

they actually did it :unsmith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jeremy Jacobs good lord

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Should have traded him, Jeff :argh:

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

hhof corrects its most egregious exclusion by putting clare drake in finally

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/879370305906638848

Someone break Bergevin's phone already.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

The Golden Man posted:

hhof corrects its most egregious exclusion by putting clare drake in finally

and makes its most egregious inclusion with Jeremy Jacobs, the mother fucker. i'd say it's a wash

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They put in the wrong Goyette. It should have been Jacques.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Has he owned the Bruins for that long? I mean, shitbags like Charles Comiskey are in the baseball hall but he not only founded the White Sox but also helped form the American League in general.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
it's cool that kariya and selanne are going into the hall together. maybe they were always waiting for that

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ElwoodCuse posted:

Has he owned the Bruins for that long? I mean, shitbags like Charles Comiskey are in the baseball hall but he not only founded the White Sox but also helped form the American League in general.

he's owned them since 1975, which is a long time, but gently caress him, he hasn't accomplished anything important as an owner. one stanley cup, fuckin bravo. i guess not allowing the team (an original six team with a built in fanbase, mind you) to fold despite toiling in mediocrity for so long is somehow a mark in his favor? gently caress him.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/nielsonTSN1260/status/879430208369053696

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He doesn't have the decency to be a self made millionaire. He operates a business founded by his father.

• Locked thread