Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'd take a flyer on Yak on NJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I could see him with the Devils, but I suppose I'm not really sure there's room. As of now, the Devils have these forwards signed (or RFA's who they will sign) and likely to play (obviously they're going to make additions):

Hall
Henrique
Zajac
Palmieri
Cammalleri
Smith-Pelley
Zacha
Noesen
Wood

I would imagine Hischier is expected to make the team out of camp and will get a healthy role with the team immediately. Then there's guys like McLeod, Bastian, Blandisi, Lappin, Pietela, etc. who will get strong looks in camp to play every day. So it will probably be something like this:

Hall-Hischier-Henrique
Palmieri-Zajac-Cammalleri
Wood-Zacha-UFA/McLeod/young dude
SmithPelley-UFA-Noesen

Maybe you try Yakupov with Palms/Zajac on the second line and see if he sticks? The problem is that he's trash defensively so he's either making your top six or getting healthy scratched.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Is Nico really expected to make the team this year?

They have no offense and he's a first overall pick. I'd say it's certain barring a terrible camp.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Devils will probably outbid almost everyone for Shattenkirk. They have tons of cap room and have an embarrassingly awful defense.

I suppose the only enticements they could give him is that he is from the area and he will be "the guy" for them. But somehow I feel like he will want to take a little less to play for a serious contender and maybe not have to go night after night playing alongside Ben Lovejoy or Mirco Mueller.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Devils are also buying out Smith-Pelley. They are going full tank. $27.6m in cap space now.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think buying out a guy who scored 9 points in 53 games implies a tank.

I meant moreso they are gonna let their kids play. Also, 9 points in 53 games means a middle-six forward in New Jersey.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zajac/Hall/Henrique/Hischier/Johansson/Palmieri is a pretty nice top six if Hisch comes out swinging.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So the Devils still really need to add another winger to play in the top nine. As of now, lines look something like this:

Hall-Hischier-Henrique
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
UFA-Zacha-Wood

Then the fourth should be Brian Boyle with some rotation of Quenneville/Blandisi/UFA.

They will at least be interesting to watch if Schneider has a rebound year. That defense is still a wreck and I'd hope they can sign and trade Kovalchuk to get a top four guy. So it could be something like:

Greene-Severson
???-Santini
Mueller-Lovejoy

I dunno. They're a year or two away from contending but I like how patient Shero is being and the trades he's making.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I was going to say Volchkov but he was actually the 4th pick.

Wow, I remember that dude? 4th overall in 1996, right? Was that the same draft as Brendl?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

How has nobody signed Jagr?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hockey goons, my band is about to embark on a 10-week tour of US/Canada. We tour extensively quite often, we're a duo of brothers. I play drums, he plays guitar/loops, we work with the engineer of The Melvins. Mix of heavy rock and a sort of cinematic post-rock I suppose. Come say hi, mainly because I've never met any of you in real life and have been posting here for a long while.

http://www.jerkagram.com/tour

We're going almost everywhere, and if you live in a major non-Alberta Canadian city, we will be playing it.

*end shameless promotion*

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Why have you chosen to avoid Alberta?

Is it the smell?

Way too many hours of driving and nearly enough of a payoff. It was much more conducive to exit Canada into Minneapolis/Chicago/St Louis territory.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

Bridgeport, CT? Wow, you really are playing everywhere.

More like Black Rock. I grew up in Connecticut and lived in Bridgeport/Fairfield for 4 years so a lot of my friends from home are gonna be there.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

And yet you choose Madison over Milwaukee.

Actually, that's probably the right move. Most of the music venues in Milwaukee blow.

The booking process isn't necessarily choosing somewhere to play. There are a lot of variables which go into choosing the best show and a big part of that is what is available on that day and which bands can play it. We've played Milwaukee plenty but it didn't come together this time so we went to Madison.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 18, 2017

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

Cool, I never knew that. I'm from here, too. I can probably make it to the show. That's the day before pre-season Rangers hockey starts!

Are you my age/do I know you? I'm 32.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

checksin posted:

Guelph is not a major city :colbert:

I didn't say it was. I merely said that if you live in A major city in Canada which is not in Alberta, I will be there.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

goldrush posted:

I listened to your music on your website, I liked it. But I won't come to your show because you're only playing Vancouver and not Victoria so SCREW YOU PAL, we're way better than Bellingham, Olympia or Tacoma

We planned on Victoria and almost had a show there but it fell through. I badly wanna go there. Not playing there was not by choice.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

JawKnee posted:

where are you playing in Vancouver? says TBD

We were supposed to do a festival called Severfest, but it got double booked and canceled or moved or something. We are still trying to find a venue. We do extremely well there so we are hoping to figure that out quickly.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

a false posted:

drat dogg i'll see you at PRF louisville. had no idea that was your band.

Woah. You live in Louisville? See ya there.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Excellent.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Devils go get him

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I wouldn't count on it given that their D is Andy Greene, Damon Severson and some stacks of driftwood.

With the addition of MoJo and Boyle, their forward group is looking Not Totally Awful, at least once Zajac gets back in January/February. I don't know that Stafford adds much, but he'll get ice time!

The forwards really aren't too bad now but losing Zajac is brutal and means it'll actually be pretty bad come to think of it.

Hall-Hischier-Henrique is gonna be fun to watch and if Schneider regains form they should be about where they were last year maybe better, but their defense has like 4 holes in it. Ben Lovejoy-John Moore was getting 20 minutes as a pairing last season and they didn't add anyone to supplant them on the depth chart.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Is the consensus that Nico is going to get serious playing time out of the gate? I like the kid, but I wouldn't expect him to be able to handle top-line defensive matchups.

But then, I guess they don't have a lot of good choices. Henrique is a good scoring center, but not much else. And Zacha still needs some work. Johansson has got some experience playing C, but that's a heck of a spot to jump into.

They're definitely throwing him into a serious role. As you mentioned they have a terrible offense and no center options for the top six with Zajac gone (Henrique is better on the wing). And he's a first overall, you gotta see what he's made of.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Severson making Larsson money now! Quite literally — 4.1M AAV.

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/907240754543599617

That's a very good contract, Severson is excellent.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Woah, I have been traveling and had no idea the Devils got Will Butcher... can anyone get me up to speed on how good he is supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

The jury's still out on his current NHL-readiness but talent wise he's closer to Ryan Pulock than Charlie McAvoy. He's flashed in the prospect tournament which is what he should be doing.

It's the Bruins A-team versus a lot of defensemen that will likely never make the pros

Nice. I am a big fan of Pulock, and the Devils defense is so bad that he should be able to make the third pairing.

• Locked thread