Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Didn't someone post that the bare minimum offer sheet that the Wings can't match within the cap would only cost a team a 2nd round pick? What was the cost, something like $4M? I forget.

What teams have the space to throw $4M at AA, and have the need for him?

E: Looked it up, it's $1.9 to $3.9M, compensation would be a second rounder.

Nobody will do it because :offersheet:.

There's a lot of teams that should do it, though. He'd fit well just about anywhere since he's a young dude with hands and skating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stiev Awt posted:

Don't get mad at Michigan because Clinton never bothered to set foot in the state during her campaign.

Can you blame her? Who the hell wants to go to Michigan

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

please stop talking about politics in my safe space, the hockey thread, where i talk about hockey and how much i hate my own team

I like my hockey team quite a bit. It's a weird place to be in let me tell you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

man I always forget Bernie Nicholls scored fuckin 70 goals that one year.

I'm not sure if the "Crosby effect" is real, but the "Gretzky effect" certainly was.

e: What's even more incredible about that Bernie year is he never even hit 50 goals outside of that year let alone 60 or 70.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

So this is a bit before my time but wasn't Kevin Stevens actually pretty decent until he decided to go all in on the Bryan Fogarty Fitness Plan?

He was good until he broke his jaw in a fight and then he got into crack after that and it went downhill pretty quickly.

For about two-three years he was one of if not the premiere power forwards in hockey and I kinda miss that there's not really a modern player like him any more. Guys that are that good at scoring now don't bother fighting really. The closest you'll see is someone like Ovechkin but he doesn't fight. Guys like Lucic are a pale imitation of Artie.

e: Lemieux probably had more than a little bit to do with Stevens' career years though, yeah

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Is Chris Therien the fat guy who sits near the benches and yells the most obvious comments all game?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

people figured out it's better for your bigtime goal scorers to spend more time on the ice and less in the box

which totally makes sense but there's something enjoyable about a meat head who scores goals and punches people

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

it seems as though all of the teams are bad at everything

The Pittsburgh Penguins are good at everything, they won the Stanley Cup twice

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Why do teams keep insisting on hiring former fan favourites into incredibly important managerial roles despite the fact that they have no experience in the role and often less than a highschool education? Sakic is a flat out terrible GM who clearly has no idea what he's doing. You'd think that the Avs would've learned that lesson already with Roy (who at least had management experience in the QMJHL), but I guess not.

I also like that Thomas Vanek is #5 on that trade bait list despite the fact that he signed with the Canucks a week ago.

The NHL, as with every other organization in life, is an old boys club.

Merit matters so much less in the business world than who you know. That's how it has always been, and always will be. Organizations that make decisions based on other factors are the rarity, not the norm.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tom Sestito couldn't stop this Cup train, Reaves won't be able to either

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Of course, but there seemed to be some sense to it until recently. I understand hiring former players to be scouts and stuff or offering the GM role to a player who learned the ropes as an AGM or in the minor leagues, but just giving the most important position in the organization to a dude who's hideously unqualified? That seems like a recent terrible move that came coupled with the shift to fan favourites as Presidents thing, and it's just so stupid. Is there one example of a former player with no managerial experience who came back to his old team and didn't immediately mess things up horribly?

Well Yzerman hasn't had a chance to ruin Detroit yet but he'd probably be an example of an actual good GM who probably shouldn't have just been handed a GM job.

But yeah it is dumb, no doubt about that. Most of these former players have high school educations at best and little to no experience doing real work. Maybe teams are looking at Yzerman and thinking they can catch lightning in a bottle too with their former players?

Not looking forward to the day Bill Guerin is Penguins GM but at least he has been working as an AGM for a while and might not be a complete disaster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

While there are some awful GMs out there that I'm baffled as to how they remain employed, the attitude of "even though I've only seen the stuff that makes the news, have zero connection to the reality of the situation and like to feel smarter than people who do this for a living I could totally do better" leads to Trump tweeting his way to the Presidency.

I unironically think 99% of SAS could do a better job of being President than Donald Trump, and I include our Canadian posters in that who have no idea how our government actually functions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

Sorry but the "shoot for the moon" offsides call after an opponents scores a goal, or the Sullivan, is extremely annoying and losing a timeout wasn't enough of a deterrent.

It kinda owns that the Penguins won two Stanley Cups on the back of successful offsides challenges

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

lol at people getting worked up over the offside rule

I just wish it was more of a judgement call. If an offsides happens and then a goal happens a minute later who gives a gently caress, y'know?

They should just disallow goals that are caused as a direct immediate (or near immediate) result of the offsides.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

It doesn't matter who's in goal when you're taking 10+ penalty minutes per game while having a bottom third PK.

Isn't shorthanded save percentage pretty random too? Or is it the other way around? I always get my fancy boops mixed up

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

They don't use the TV feeds. They look at cameras in line with the blue lines.

The broadcasts always try to figure it out with TV feeds while they're waiting for the decision, but that's because they don't have access to the blue line camera feeds.

They should give us access to those. It's like they're sitting on the Zapruder film without the two frames missing where JFK gets hit by another sniper. I want the truth, NHL.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

linesmen stop dead on the blue line as well, usually rendering at least 1 of the cameras useless

just give them a chest camera like police wear and hope they don't turn it off to avoid being prosecuted for a crimehide their screw ups

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

also gently caress this means Emelin gets significant ice time

Like that wasn't gonna happen anyways?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Emelin would've been behind Subban, Josi, Ellis and Ekholm on the depth chart prior to Ellis being injured.

Doesn't matter. He's one of those guys that coaches just find a way to give way more minutes than necessary.

Although Lavy is a pretty good coach so maybe he'd avoid that pitfall.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hockey is cool as heck and also almost back. That's nice.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

My reading between the lines is that management has been non-committal about re-signing them and if the team keeps sucking they'll retire next summer.

What do you mean if?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Guess that would be the next expansion spot.

Poor Quebec will only get a team if somebody moves.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Schlesische posted:

Quebec is not ever getting an Expansion team.
If someone does sell out, they're in the box seat, but Expansion was a pipe dream.

I'd guess Florida or Arizona would still be the most likely to move but neither seems on the verge of it or anything.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Even with the expansion in Vegas I really doubt the league would throw the East/West balance back off by 2 teams again by moving Arizona to Quebec

Just do it and tell Detroit to gently caress back off to the West

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Deputy commissioner of the NHL is in my fantasy football league. Here's some stuff he told me:

We only loaded the personality software into Sidney hockey Bot recently

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody is asking the important questions here.

What is his team name?

Lock out with your puck out

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Isn't Debrincat like four feet tall? Well I guess it works for Gaudreau

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens still don't have a 3c. Crosby and Malkin are gonna be getting a poo poo load of ice time until that changes.

Letang is on track though which is nice.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Remember when the penguins had like 10 centers

Good times

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

feels aggressive for a guy that really fell off after the lockout but i suppose it's akin to ken daneyko for new jersey

better than 22 beers at least

He's second all time in Avs history in scoring. Ahead of Forsberg in fact (albeit in many more games played).

Seems pretty earned to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

You'd have to cut out the Nordiques history for that to be true, in which case you'd have a 20 year history where he was like the 10th most important guy. They were a successful team, they don't need to reach for retirements.

If you add the Nordiques he's 4th? Goulet, Statsny, and Sakic are ahead of him. Nobody else.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

They need a reason for people to show up to games this year.

I keep forgetting they lost the lottery and didn't even pick second. That's tragic after the season they had.

e: the guy they got didn't even play in major juniors for Christ sakes

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's exciting to know any non playoff team could get the top pick, but I'm not sure the lottery should function that way since in theory it's there to bring poo poo teams back from the dead.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

Uh, you totally sure about that?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/leaders_career.html

Maybe we're talking about two different things. If we're talking about career points in the NHL, that's different. I'm talking about points with the franchise.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That deal should make it a lot easier to trade him in two years when he has a bad playoffs or stops fitting their culture

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
We all know Ovi is going to the Rangers when he's like 38 and he'll have one decent year and then a few lovely ones where he makes 10 million a year anyways.*

*may or may not apply to Malkin as well

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Messier has been in the Black Lodge since '94 :tinfoil:

That number you like is going to come back in style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

:siren: Best shape tweet alert :siren:

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/909091958278230017

(I actually think Isabelle Khurshudyan is a good beat writer but still lol)

I don't understand this tweet. Is Jay Beagle known for his speed or endurance? I'm pretty sure even fat Ovechkin would smoke him in a race.

• Locked thread