Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I say leave it up through the month unless we want a new thread for the two weeks of preseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hey do we wanna revive the fantasy thread for next season? If it hasn't happened already

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dear Bruins Management: Give Pastrnak 64 million bucks over the next 8 years already, for fucks sake

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

I think right now your best bet is hoping that Pastrnak doesn't sign because Bruins MO is to get into a financial disagreement with their young star, sign them long term and then trade them in a huff the following summer because they decided that a guy under 30 asking to be paid what they're worth is outlandishly arrogant and they wear their team hats backwards.

What's actually going to happen is they'll get him to do a bridge deal, he will continue to rip poo poo up playing on arguably the most dominant line in the NHL, and they'll end up having to give him even more money.

I was upset when Kessel got traded but that sort of made sense at the time from a financial standpoint, the Seguin trade pissed me off but I think it happened on the 4th of July so I was too drunk to care really, and I never really liked Hamilton all that much so I wasn't that broken up about him going, but if they trade Pastrnak before he turns 25 on top of all that I would probably stop being a fan and just become a fan of whoever Pasta gets traded to.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

In the year of the monkeys paw youre really going to make this argument? You know he will end up in Montreal now that youve said this, right?

well I already said it and I refuse to back down now

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
please stop talking about politics in my safe space, the hockey thread, where i talk about hockey and how much i hate my own team

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Stiev Awt posted:

what about the politics of a pastrnak-jumbo trade

i would loving kill myself, much like...uhhh....hilary in the election

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man I always forget Bernie Nicholls scored fuckin 70 goals that one year. I mean obviously he was a good player but when you're looking at the list of "Players who score 70 goals in a season" or "Players who had 150+ points in a season" his name always sticks out

Edit:
70+ goal seasons: Gretzky (x3), Hull (x3), Lemieux (x2), Selanne, Esposito, Mogilny, Kurri, Nicholls

150+ points: Gretzky (x10), Lemieux (x4), Yzerman, Esposito, Nicholls

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it's wild to look at goalie stats in those days too and seeing that Roy being at .908, less than league average now, is like 10 points better than the next best guy

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

Member when Iggy and Lecavalier fought in the cup finals? That was beautiful. :allears:

ya that whipped rear end

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ok I made the fantasy hockey thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833284

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
gimme some yeezys with blades stuck to the bottom plz

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

Being in the Central doesn't help much either.

Ya, the Jets look fine to me on paper but I don't see them being a playoff team just because of the division. Mason probably helps, maybe Laine becomes a 50 goal scorer, and maybe Connor turns out to be a star too, but that's a lot of maybes and right now the only team they're clearly better than in that division is Colorado. I'd say Winnipeg probably falls somewhere in the 4-6 range for that division and that's tough when a max of 5 teams could make the playoffs, especially since the Pacific has been getting better as well making "The Central sends 5 teams every year" less of a guarantee.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duck Rodgers posted:

Actually the Jets were really good against the Central last year. The only central team they had a losing record against was Minnesota. Laine scored a hat trick every time they played Dallas.

too bad they can't play the entire season against their own division then

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If the goal is education/rehabilitation (for lack of a better term) then having a guy who used to be a goon, and can probably empathize better with a lot of the guys who will be offenders, makes sense. Having a guy who can say "Hey I understand you think you're doing your job, I was doing the same thing when I was in the league, but this is why it's wrong blah blah blah, and that's why you're being suspended 6 games" might be a bigger net positive. I think people point out that he went to Princeton primarily as shorthand for "he's not a retard like most hockey players and former hockey players" - I don't think having someone thoughtful and articulate in the role is a bad thing.

Anyway I'm looking forward to preseason starting because talking about this league minutiae is loving boring and I hate it but I won't stop.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
you can watch the Bruins prospects play the Penguins prospects if you want to, on NHL website. Also Columbus vs Dallas.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kale posted:

Are there any 3rd color jerseys that don't just kind of look ugly as poo poo with clashing wrong colors? Like as in not the kind of stuff they pull out for Winter Classic games that looks like it might have been passable in a very specific type of 70's era scene. It just seems like the rule is if it's a 3rd Jersey it has to look awful.

Boston, Minnesota, and San Jose had good ones imo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
if you're desperate for hockey there's a stream of the Bruins prospects playing the Devils prospects on the NHL site right now. Boston is up 5-1 at the start of the second. It's not a very good game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

corn on the cop posted:

It's the Bruins A-team versus a lot of defensemen that will likely never make the pros

Yeah, no McAvoy today so the defense doesn't look as scary, but Boston has a lot of their best forward prospects playing. The majority of their top 9 today will likely see NHL action at some point, a couple might even be regular roster players this year.

fake edit: the Bruins prospects scored twice while I was posting. This is a bloodbath.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good soup! posted:

Patrick will get a hattrick and the Philadelphia Flyers will win the Stanley Cup you heard it here first folks

my bold NHL prediction this year is that the Flyers are a bottom 5 team because Elliott is going to suck again

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the entire concept of retiring numbers, even for great players, is retarded

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wow...Sweeney did real good. I am extremely surprised.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I honestly can't believe Sweeney pulled that off. Incredible. He has extra money to overpay someone now too!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ya Ovechkin is absolutely central to the Caps identity. If Ovechkin were traded today it's hard to imagine who else could even be the face of that franchise. Maybe Oshie? He's probably one of the more popular Caps players despite being a newcomer, relatively.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

grack posted:

Backstrom or Holtby would be the obvious choices

Yeah they're definitely both good choices from a star caliber standpoint, but personality-wise I don't think they fit into the image the Capitals have built with the fans from being Ovechkin's team for the last decade.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno, I kind of see Ovie going to the KHL when his current deal is up, assuming his production starts to drop off more and more.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How many more years are left on Ovechkin's deal?

It goes until 2021 I think? So four more seasons, til he's 35 or 36

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm surprised no one has traded for Duchene even considering that Sakic is probably asking for too much. A team like Carolina could really use him and probably has the pieces to get a deal done too.

Also how much does it suck to be Duchene? Playing for your favorite childhood team and having things turn out like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
just pick a beer league team from Minnesota or something

• Locked thread