Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I got the impression from Blackhawks fans / writers that he wasn't really a standout at their development camp back a few months ago. That's not a great sign. Rookie games are even more meaningless than dev camps. I'm very curious to see what he does in training camp or preseason games. Wouldn't be shocked if he tears up the AHL this season but doesn't get any NHL time.

Ditto, I personally hold him in pretty high regard but then again he's charting the same path that Corey Locke did a decade ago and he was never able to rise above the level of AHL superstar. I like the way DeBrincat plays and think he's at worst going to be a somewhat regular NHLer, but yes he's not at an NHL level yet. He needs at least 20-30 games in the AHL to prove himself and adapt to the pros first and it could very well be a rough transition.

I see a guy that's incredibly talented that was drafted by a team that has haemorrhaged scoring wingers lately. He'll likely get his turn in the NHL at some point this year. I doubt he'll set the world on fire anytime soon, but every time I've watched him play I've never come across thinking there was some fatal flaw to his game. He's going to have a much tougher time doing his bullish approach against the Shea Webers of the world, but I don't expect he'll be forced to completely rebuild his game when the competition ramps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They were a successful team, they don't need to reach for retirements.

They need a reason for people to show up to games this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/HeyBarber/status/908001372410228736

This is a new one

Ginette Reno posted:

I keep forgetting they lost the lottery and didn't even pick second. That's tragic after the season they had.

e: the guy they got didn't even play in major juniors for Christ sakes

The new lottery rules suck. Us fans of bad teams don't even have anything fun to root for anymore. The Canucks finished 2nd last and picked 5th. Wheeeee.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

it's also fake

Well boo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A mere 291 days until Pastrnak is traded to the um... Anaheim Ducks probably because he doesn't quite fit in with that storied Bruins culture.

e: I am very original. :effort:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

The Pastrnak deal was supposed to make me feel better about the Draisaitl deal, not worse.

Cam Talbot is probably shopping for Yachts as we speak.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Why didnDuchene want to be traded anyways

8 career playoff games in his 8 years in the league and the team just had the worst season in modern history and aren't getting any better. I'd want out too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

And he's not gonna get it for a guy that scored 41 points last year with a 6m price tag

He'll get a roster player and a first round pick/top prospect I would imagine though. Duchene scored 30 the year before the nightmare season and has hovered around 60ish points a season his whole career with a couple jumps to the 70+ range. He's not an all-star, but if Hero charts are anything to go by he's a solid #1 C. I wouldn't build a franchise around him, but for a team like Nashville or Edmonton who are looking to contend for the foreseeable future he'd be a massive improvement over their current 2nd line centres.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Tom Kostopolous for Team Canada

I'm most excited for Team Korea led by noted national team members Alex Plante and Matthew Dalton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

hoooooo boy, looking back through old rosters from the early 2000's. That's a sure way to make me feel old and also relive some terrible years of Rangers hockey!

For no reason whatsoever the name Jan Hlavac crossed my mind for the first time in a decade yesterday.

• Locked thread