Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Someone post the McDavid war stare gif after the Oilers won the draft lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kilza posted:

Breaking up Hall of Fame chat for a second:
https://twitter.com/MikeHeika/status/879367857221578753

:rip:

He did one thing well, cashed in big time just for being on a hilariously overloaded 2010 Blackhawks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope Yakupov makes it back just so we can get more life out of this.

I blame the Oilers for ruining him. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

I bet Luca Sbisa is the most discussed player in NHLSAS, which is kind of weird.

The last time anything a goon did made it to the media involves Sbisa so it kind of makes sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Uh, back to back cups?

Oh sorry I didn't know the local pittsburg rag ran coverage on two years of citizen tayne spamming "the pittsburgh penguins will win the cup".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Rumors that McDavid extension is 8/106? That's...actually pretty reasonable.

Handing out a 106 year contract for someone who hasn't even won a cup is definitely not reasonable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL should turn the KHL into AHL: Europe Version.

Let European kids develop closer to home before coming to the big show.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL: "we got rules, but gently caress it, no one actually gives a poo poo."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jagr is 55 games or around there from having played the most games in the history of the NHL, someone really needs to let him get one more year in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I don't think anyone in Chicago is excited about sharp coming back except the hockey wives

Toews is probably excited to send the puck through the crease towards a wound up Sharp like it's 2010 again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I started getting silver hairs on my chin when I was 35, life comes at you fast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

How many of the top 10 things in hockey history are some version of off-ice confrontation? Because there's Terry O'Reilly going into the crowd, the Flyers fan going into the box to fight Tie Domi, and, while they don't make the overall list, I love Tortorella at the Flames dressing room and injured as gently caress Darcy Tucker going from the press box to rinkside to try and get at Cam Janssen after Janssen hit Kaberle.

It's the hockey version of auto racing. People love the races but are really only watching hoping to catch an epic crash.

People love hockey but really love when the media filter breaks down and we get to see what it's really like inside the league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deoju posted:

What the gently caress was the camera crew doing literally ambulance chasing in the first place? That's some heinous poo poo.

It's a camera crew's job to capture whatever might be newsworthy.

If you gonna get mad at someone, get mad at arena security for not keeping their dumbasses out of the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm suing her right now for defamation because I feel I brought some really innovative ideas to my interview.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In this movie, is Jagrbot the obsolete model that some kid digs out of a junkyard and takes on a surprise victory tour, or is Jagrbot the established champion that has never been beaten?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should see if they can produce the biggest pile of vomit in the world made out of little caesar's pizza.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a pretty good example for coaches to demonstrate why you never pass blind, ever. See it all the time in beer league, not sure why a paid professional is trying that poo poo.

Also if you get that close to the goalie with the puck you loving shoot it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who's wishing anything, it's already happened.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure a winning move for a team that just won two cups is to bring in some old slow dude just because he's a cool guy.

That's like the exact opposite of what you should do and will only hasten the team's inevitable downf-- oh now I get it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bruins team owners are scum:

quote:

Twenty-four years ago, the owner of the Boston Garden wanted a new arena, and local lawmakers wanted a stream of funding to help build and maintain the city’s recreational facilities, such as hockey rinks.

So they reached a deal: As part of winning state approval for a new $160 million facility, home to the Boston Celtics and the Boston Bruins, the owner of the Garden would host three fund-raisers a year to benefit the agency that oversees the city’s recreational facilities.

And then the fund-raising deal was forgotten.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...XsYK/story.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If team owners are worried about their income, then maybe they should run their business like a business instead of a giant circlejerk with all their best buds, randomly flailing around and hoping it results in positive income. Then begging for handouts when it doesn't happen.

It shouldn't be THAT hard, they've got a captive audience that most businesses would kill for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't expect them to give up money, but it would be nice if they could have a little bit of foresight and come up with a plan to improve the league in the long term.

Like how about they push for 10 years with no lockouts?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FBS posted:

I need some of that stick tape.

I read somewhere he did it by curling the edge of the tape as he wrapped the stick, so part of the glue side pointed outwards.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kalensc posted:

Add magnets to puck and embed magnets in stick-blade with a toggle button on the shaft of the stick. Battery life is very short so use your velcro-puck mode wisely!

Did you write the rulebook for indycar?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess if global warming destroys our ability to play hockey, we got this available as backup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBKLMJSYtc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a dangerous road because it generates the concept of retroactively revoking trophies from players who played before anyone gave a poo poo about athlete conditioning.

It's just a greatest of all time argument disguised as something even worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For some reason twitter has tagged that image as potentially containing "sensitive material."

Did some Devils fans cry about it? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fits posted:

shockingly, the blackhawks have a league-high 17

America's hockey team!

:smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

Gets swept in the first round of the playoffs.

There were some embarrassing exits between the 2010 and 2013 cups too. They're just building suspense. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm gonna make the FOMIPM chart this year, fooling old men into paying me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

if only there was another way to determine who won a hockey game

It's not about who won a hockey game, it's about who will win the next one.

Humans love to try and predict the future even when it's repeatedly demonstrated that we can't actually do it. Best case we get sorta close.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the logic is pretty simple: if you put NHL players in the olympics you may get new hockey fans, may not. If you keep them out of the olympics you 100% won't get new fans.

This is a fundamental concept of marketing, if you're not out there showing off your product you're not gonna sell anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, throwing any equipment at all is a big no-no.

But during all-star games players gently caress around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shyduck posted:

Flyers are retiring #88 this season :hellyeah:

Nice of them to honor Kane like that. Is Pronger gonna produce the missing puck?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drunk Canuck posted:

Gallant is also the most losingest coach of the Knights.

Fire Gallant.

Can we replace him with Goofus?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

clean ayers act posted:

The 2013 Wings-Blackhawks series, in which the Wings went up 3-1 on the Hawks before losing in game 7. That series basically convinced the front office that the team didn't need a full rebuild and probably kept Holland in a job 5 years and counting longer than he should of been.

That series was loving amazing though. So many storylines!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

a false posted:

it seems as though all of the teams are bad at everything

The true cost of living under a salary cap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

Every team is a Stanley Cup contender before the first game of the season is played.

Except for the Avs and Canucks, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL is in a weird spot because there's already the precedent of goalie masks and I guarantee if they clamped down on players running with custom colored skates it would start a shitstorm.

So I figure as long as players keep it subtle and avoid conflicting with any advertisers the NHL has deals with they'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is a bit suspicious that pretty much every bad thing that's happened to the league in the past 20 years can be traced to one of two people: Gary Bettman and Martin Brodeur.

• Locked thread