Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

lol vegas is going to be poo poo

Don't worry Marc Andre Fleury will make them competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wennberg's upside during that stretch is probably closer to 70 than 50. It's probably a real good deal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Hey do we wanna revive the fantasy thread for next season? If it hasn't happened already

Yes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

Croaby
Malkin
Guentzel

Poor pens, who will they ever get to play down the middle?

Guentzel might end up as a center in the NHL, but I kind of doubt it. He's an offense oriented guy on a team with two top 10 centers.

Anyway Rowney looked serviceable in the playoffs, he might be ok in that spot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Which playoff series did actually break teams? The 2011 SCF seems like the obvious first choice, but what else? Maybe Leafs-Bruins 2013 but I don't know if the 2013 Leafs counted as not-broken to begin with.

Ottawa losing in 2007 set them up for 10 years of Bryan Murray. But one could argue that was coming no matter what.

I'm not sure playoffs can really break teams. See Boston coming back a year after being up 3-0 and losing to Philly, and San Jose recovering from the same vs LA.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Didn't someone post that the bare minimum offer sheet that the Wings can't match within the cap would only cost a team a 2nd round pick? What was the cost, something like $4M? I forget.

What teams have the space to throw $4M at AA, and have the need for him?

E: Looked it up, it's $1.9 to $3.9M, compensation would be a second rounder.

In what world is AA worth 3.9M and a second round pick? He's a good player, but he's a 24 year old middle 6, likely bottom 6, player who shot 15% last season. I get why the Wings should sign him (they have nothing else) but why would anyone else? Every team has their own marginal NHLers to give ice time to. Hell, the bad teams able to give this guy the ice time to succeed might be able to make a trade with their second round pick to get a better player than AA anyway, if that's the route they wanted to take.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Dear Bruins Management: Give Pastrnak 64 million bucks over the next 8 years already, for fucks sake

On the other hand, this would worry me a bit more given Boston's history of selling off young talent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

I think right now your best bet is hoping that Pastrnak doesn't sign because Bruins MO is to play contract chicken with their young star, sign them long term and then trade them in a huff the following summer because they decided that a guy under 30 asking to be paid what they're worth is outlandishly arrogant.

And if he takes a step back, which wouldn't really be that unexpected, after signing that big contract... could be bad.

Rotten Cookies posted:

My list of reasons for wanting an offersheet for AA is a short one.

1) I want to see an offersheet in the NHL.
acceptable

I want to see a Canadian RFA sign in the KHL.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

O'Reilly and Giordano?

O'Reilly was on his third team and was just making the logical "you're not an NHLer, try Europe" move that a lot of guys make.

Giordano counts I guess. That was a long time ago though.

Speaking of Cal, he put up some legit NHL prospect type numbers in the AHL as a youngster. Wonder what happened to his game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

I was talking about Ryan O'Reilly. He held out from the Avs and signed in Russia (which also happened to be the lockout year where a bunch of guys went to Europe too). He played the whole season there, and his holdout didn't end until Feaster signed him to that hilarious offer sheet.

Eh, I don't think that counts. Everyone knew a lockout was coming.

e: that offer sheet was so good though

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

He signed a two year deal with an out-clause initially. He wasn't just another guy that signed in Europe while the league was locked out.

The fact he knew there was a lockout that might last the entire season had to play into his deal though.

Just like the fact the Olympics are going to happen without NHLers is going to play into any KHL deals being used as leverage this year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

man I always forget Bernie Nicholls scored fuckin 70 goals that one year. I mean obviously he was a good player but when you're looking at the list of "Players who score 70 goals in a season" or "Players who had 150+ points in a season" his name always sticks out

Edit:
70+ goal seasons: Gretzky (x3), Hull (x3), Lemieux (x2), Selanne, Esposito, Mogilny, Kurri, Nicholls

150+ points: Gretzky (x10), Lemieux (x4), Yzerman, Esposito, Nicholls

The level and longevity of Gretzky's dominance always blows me away.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/905394059388350464

Finally, I would've probably preferred a bridge deal of some sort but $5.5Mish isn't bad. With management's talk of the Sedins' future this week, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the contract at training camp and have Henrik hand Horvat the C.

I would've thought a bit less given the Wennberg contract but if they get 8 years that makes sense.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This makes zero sense.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This is a solid bridge deal.

A Typical Goon posted:

It makes perfect sense with the leaks that Chevy signed months ago and Maurice's terms are unknown. I'd expect Maurice is just a one year extension to ensure he's not a 'lame duck' and Chevy was never going to get fired/be at any risk for his job for at least another season. The draft and develop strategy when the Jets came back was not only Chevy it was the Chevy/Chipman plan, Chipman isn't going to fire Chevy the season before it's all supposed to come together.

I expect Maurice's leash to be incredibly short this season, Chevy has to know that if he hitches his wagon to Maurice he probably won't get another chance at picking who the next coach is if Maurice stumbles and Chevy backs him all year.

Chevy shouldn't get another chance at hiring another coach. He's the 10th most tenured GM and in his time at the helm they've made the playoffs once and won a total of 0 playoff games, and while the future is bright, it honestly feels like we've been saying that for a while about Winnipeg. I get that he's a family friend or something, but gently caress.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

It doesn't matter who's in goal when you're taking 10+ penalty minutes per game while having a bottom third PK.

Yeah it's this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Isn't shorthanded save percentage pretty random too? Or is it the other way around? I always get my fancy boops mixed up

The most repeatable save percentage is apparently all situations. Save percentage has got poo poo repeatability. Short handed is pretty random though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maybe a guy from Princeton who spent his time punching people will take head injuries seriously?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Charlie O'Connor has a fantastic article on the Athletic today about the flyers neutral zone scoring, and also helped put this together and holy christ jordan weal

If he can't repeat it, it's almost certainly because he "got lucky" during a small sample of games. I wonder how he looks vs his teammates if you take the best consective 20 game set from each player.

Weal could be for real but he's going to have a tough time cracking the top 6 for the Flyers considering the draft pedigree boost guys like Patrick and Konecny will get. He needs to be an impact guy very quick this year and solidify a spot, because next year that spot will be gone.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Offseason knee injury is all I've heard.

Ooh I bet there's a good story. EJ quality maybe.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

I think his knee was hurt in the playoffs so maybe overdid it rehabbing that?

Boring

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

My reading between the lines is that management has been non-committal about re-signing them and if the team keeps sucking they'll retire next summer.

Going back and playing a couple years together in Sweden to end their career, maybe taking another run at a worlds gold, seems like a good way to cap off a career.

Might help them avoid getting fat like Alfy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Lock out with your puck out

A good post

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

When he was with McDavid? He was at worst 3rd behind him and Strome. In his draft year Strome put up more points, but I'd say that DeBrincat was team MVP. He fell entirely due to size, going off production he was one of the top 2 or 3 CHLers in the 2016 draft. With that said, he's very generously listed at 5'7 and if you didn't watch him play you'd have some serious concerns. With that said, he plays a lot like Gallagher or Fleury in that he makes a point of bee-lining for the net and leaping into battles in the corner probably because of a chip on his shoulder after being told he was too small for so long.

I have my doubts that he'll be a big time scorer in the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he put up a Zuccarello type career and capped out in the 50-60 points a season mid-tier first liner range.

I got the impression from Blackhawks fans / writers that he wasn't really a standout at their development camp back a few months ago. That's not a great sign. Rookie games are even more meaningless than dev camps. I'm very curious to see what he does in training camp or preseason games. Wouldn't be shocked if he tears up the AHL this season but doesn't get any NHL time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Ditto, I personally hold him in pretty high regard but then again he's charting the same path that Corey Locke did a decade ago and he was never able to rise above the level of AHL superstar. I like the way DeBrincat plays and think he's at worst going to be a somewhat regular NHLer, but yes he's not at an NHL level yet. He needs at least 20-30 games in the AHL to prove himself and adapt to the pros first and it could very well be a rough transition.

I see a guy that's incredibly talented that was drafted by a team that has haemorrhaged scoring wingers lately. He'll likely get his turn in the NHL at some point this year. I doubt he'll set the world on fire anytime soon, but every time I've watched him play I've never come across thinking there was some fatal flaw to his game. He's going to have a much tougher time doing his bullish approach against the Shea Webers of the world, but I don't expect he'll be forced to completely rebuild his game when the competition ramps up.

I think it'll be a rough transition to the NHL in particular. The question isn't really his skill set or even his size. There are enough little bulldogs now that I don't think his size will be the biggest thing holding him back. It'll be whether or not he can play a structured game where he isn't clearly better than the opposition. The more unstructured nature of his game will suit itself well to the AHL though. It'll come down to how coachable he is.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Goddamn that is a good deal.

e: it highlights how bad the draisaitl deal was. (not all that bad, but a 2M+ overpay per year)

On the other hand he's not giving up much UFA

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 14, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

corn on the cop posted:

for the analytics goons, corsica tentatively relaunching september 30th

Yay

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Dirty Burger posted:

Can somebody tell Joe Sakic that NHL GMs don't get the summers off too

https://twitter.com/adater/status/908356300635025408

Yiiiiiikes

That's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mind_Taker posted:

"[Player] is in the best shape of his life!"

-[beat writer]

Did you know that Borowiecki dropped 10 pounds and has an eye towards contributing a little more offensively?

Thanks Ottawa sports writers.

• Locked thread