Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

I can't decide how I'd feel about them signing Joe Thornton to something like 1 year at 2 million or 2 years at 1.5 million. Yeah, he's old as gently caress, but that's Tanner Glass money and he'd still be an upgrade on Tanner Glass.

That would be an obscenely good deal for Thornton, who can still probably get 10-15 goals and 30-40 assists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

hifi posted:

I'd expect the first overall to start in the nhl unless it was a goalie

This type of attitude leads to RNH third line grinder and Yakupov king of the busts

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

RNH would still be a top 6 pick if that draft was held again today. Gaudreau and Kucherov would be 1-2, Scheifele/Hamilton/RNH/Klefbom in some combination behind them.

There really is no argument for Gaudreau over Scheifele anymore

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Schlesische posted:

Gaudreau has similar or better stats with less ice-time. The argument is 100% still there.

I don't see why anyone would take a 5'9 wing over a twoway 6'3 C that scores more. Scheifele outscored Gaudreau by 21 points last season

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

They have the exact same number of points over the last 190 games

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

190? ~2.5 seasons?

Nice spin.

Gaudreau over his career is a 2.07 P/60 player, Scheifele over that timeframe is 2.18

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wonder if he'd take a one year deal with a team option worth the same amount if a contender offered him a deal

There is no such thing as a 'team option' in the NHL

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm not sure if he'll sign for 8 years, both Malkin and Crosby signed for 5 after their ELC so they could be FA's at age 25 and get a second huge payday

I wouldn't be surprised with something like 11.5 for 6 years

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

yellowcar posted:

What happened to Hutchinson? Is he bad now?

Yeah he might be an ok backup but probably not

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

sedative posted:

Hall-Hischier-Jagr would be fun

Hall and Hischier seem like the worst type of players for Jagr, he doesn't have the feet to keep up with speedsters anymore

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Levitate posted:

supposedly Pavelec isn't that bad if you "adjust for shot quality" but those statemnts make me nervous

He's awful

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Jets are apparently signing Steve Mason tomorrow and I'm cool with that

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Crosby isn't even the best player in the sport right now

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Levitate posted:

I thought Jokinen has been trending downward pretty bad recently?

He was really unlucky last year shooting percentage wise

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Jets have literally zero need for more wingers but I'd still take Jussi at that price. A second line winger for 1m is a loving steal

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm fairly sure NY and Toronto are worse

It's definitely the 'Matthews is the most valuable player in the NHL' Toronto media

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm so loving glad that bozo Lawless is out of Winnipeg and going to Vegas. The amount of times I heard him get pretty basic NHL rules wrong was mind boggling. Maybe hiring a football insider that knows nothing about hockey was a bad idea?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Still not as bad at Ryker Kesler

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
It's 4.2m. Thats nothing if he's a top line winger, and it's average if he's nothing more than a middle 6 winger which he's almost certainly better than. There's very little risk to that contract

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Detroit Red Wings are currently 3 million dollars over the salary cap

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

FBS posted:

We're two days away from starting August, The Worst Month, and I'm on the Gamecenter archives trying to cure my withdrawal.

What were the most memorable games from your team's regular season? Gimme some fun games to go back and watch.

The game Paul Maurice gets tossed is pretty good. Think it ended 6-5 and also when Little broke his back

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Zetterburg contract was still really loving good even if they have to pay recapture later on. 68 points last year and 499 over the past 8 years, all for 6m? Steal.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I don't see them getting rid of recapture penalty cause it would end up with the players getting more than their 50% share and the owners would never do that even if the GMs are down

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
look at these fools who don't know Kyle Connor is the Calder lock

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Thufir posted:

Isn't Cam Fowler not that good?

Definitely not better than Lindholm at the very least

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/903726925763497984

Is it just me or is that a really reasonable deal?

It's good but it's also only 2 UFA years, which is probably why it was so cheap

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Kale posted:

Can't wait for the season to start. I'd been posting in the Trump thread on D&D recently but it's gotten so militantly hostile towards like....everything really....that I kind of just want to come back here and hang out and talk about a topic with a little more levity too it where posters treat each other with some level of respect. Yellowcar can probably share some stories. It's kind of been my first time outside of SAS to be honest. Can anyone else possibly give a hint as to what other forums aren't insanely loving hostile towards other posters at the drop of a hat and which ones to avoid?

I made a bunch of horrible posts and then got mad when people called me horrible :qqsay:

hockey news is slow so if anyone is looking for entertainment go read Kale's meltdown in the Trump thread, it's loving hilarious

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 2, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

T-Bone posted:

I'm not really sold on Maurice but Chevy at least has put together a good scouting/whatever team because Scheifele/Trouba/Morrissey/Ehlers/Connor is a crazy good run at the draft (and I think Hellebuyck will end up being pretty good).

Trading the 13th to keep Enstrom was a little sketchy but their D does look pretty deep with him in it and their top 6 is going to be excellent: Ehlers/Scheifele/Laine/Connor/Little/Wheeler. If Perreault can hold together the 3rd line I think they have a very good chance at making noise this year (as long as Mason/Hellebuyck isn't a train wreck I guess).

They traded down to 24 from 13, it's not like they gave the pick straight up to Vegas. I don't get all the hand wringing about these signings, it's not like Maurice won't be fired if the team gets off to a terrible start again.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

FBS posted:

The party line seems to be, extending them now means it won't be hanging over everyone's heads in the locker room with your coach on a lame duck contract. If TNSE is still willing to can Maurice after a lovely start then it's a defensible move.

The problem is that they can't come out and say that so it appears that the unsuccessful head coach got a payday for no good reason. My twitter feed hasn't been this angry since the season ended.

It makes perfect sense with the leaks that Chevy signed months ago and Maurice's terms are unknown. I'd expect Maurice is just a one year extension to ensure he's not a 'lame duck' and Chevy was never going to get fired/be at any risk for his job for at least another season. The draft and develop strategy when the Jets came back was not only Chevy it was the Chevy/Chipman plan, Chipman isn't going to fire Chevy the season before it's all supposed to come together.

I expect Maurice's leash to be incredibly short this season, Chevy has to know that if he hitches his wagon to Maurice he probably won't get another chance at picking who the next coach is if Maurice stumbles and Chevy backs him all year.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a solid bridge deal.

Chevy shouldn't get another chance at hiring another coach. He's the 10th most tenured GM and in his time at the helm they've made the playoffs once and won a total of 0 playoff games, and while the future is bright, it honestly feels like we've been saying that for a while about Winnipeg. I get that he's a family friend or something, but gently caress.

The Jets were probably in the worst position in the league when he took over, they had an awful prospect pool and like 6 legitimate NHL talents on the roster. He's built the team on the fly and never really tanked and I think he's done pretty good work with the draft and free agency at least. Chevy deserves a chance at seeing what the team he built can do, if the Jets are awful again then he'll probably be out soon, I don't really expect that to happen though the Jets to me have a very solid roster

Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Connor -Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Armia
Hendricks - Copp - Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

You really think that goaltending is getting the Jets anywhere?

The Jets with average goaltending probably would have made the playoffs 2 or 3 more times, I think Mason can give them .915 goaltending and that's all they'll need

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Over his last 5 year contract Little scored 237 points in 309 games, 63 point average over 82 games. This earned him a raise from 4.8m to 5.3m. loving steal of a contract, even if Little regresses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DJExile posted:

Sakic is asking for far too much. He basically needs an enormous haul of a trade to save his own job.

And he's not gonna get it for a guy that scored 41 points last year with a 6m price tag

• Locked thread