Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I'm back from Rhode Island. I just want everyone to know that I was driving in Mass. listening to the draft on the radio when Detroit was on the clock and I was yelling/chanting "RASMUSSEN" for a solid 60 seconds before they announced the pick and then I nearly pissed myself laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

More like Chris Osbad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

worth it IMO

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Shattenkirk only makes sense for Buffalo if they plan on trading Ristolainen and you know some dumb as poo poo GM would trade a ton for him. The only thing Ristolainen does well is man the PP but Shattenkirk is even better at it (and also better at the other aspects of the game).

Edit: ^^^ but yeah I don't know why Shattenkirk would want to go to Buffalo unless it's just some ridiculous offer.

Shattenkirk is a good fit for Buffalo with or without Ristolainen, but Buffalo is not trading Ristolainen anyway so it doesn't really matter. Ristolainen is also good, not bad

And Shattenkirk would want to go to Buffalo because they're going to be good this year and for the next several years as well

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Aside from the PP Ristolainen is incredibly bad. Someone pull up the fancy stat chart I'm on my phone now. Again there's missing context but Ristolainen bleeds shots against at one of the worst rates in the league. And he doesn't score much at even strength to balance it out. He's closer to Marc Andre Bergeron than a legit top 4 defenseman.

I've seen the chart. He's 22, he's been deployed like poo poo by three separate garbage coaches spanning the entirety of his career, and Buffalo as a team has been unable to score at 5on5 for about 4 years now. It's dumb and premature to say he's MAB. If Housley is the least bit competent, Risto will be fine.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Edit: that loving Pysyk for Kulikov trade... what the gently caress was TM thinking???

Murray deserves some blame for never putting together a solid defense, but the Pysyk/Kulikov trade only became an issue because of an unfortunate injury to Kulikov. Pysyk isn't exactly good

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
kulikov was making just north of 4 million per year on a 3 year contract. you have to stretch the definition of "turrible" pretty far

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
in the year 2017, players are judged by how blue the bars on their graph are

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm not an anti-analytics guy at all, but patrick wiercioch's hero charts used to look extremely good and not just when he was being dragged up and down the ice by erik karlsson. but no you're right, there's absolutely no middle-ground between "this guy is good because chart" and "LOL MATH" and i'm totes in the latter category

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/880812218450944001

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/880812409488891904

WELCOME BACK TO POMINVILLE (i know he's old and bad but i miss the sign when driving into buffalo)

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/880813318918811649

UHHHHH

please be true, holy poo poo

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Tyler Ennis has more concussions than fingers at this point in his career, and even though Pominville is old and makes too much money, it doesn't really hurt Buffalo's cap situation at all and I've wanted Scandella for about 3 years. Extremely happy

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Is Scandella good? This trade seems really good for Buffalo but I don't like to get my hopes up

lots of blue on his chart i tell ya what

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
if the sign on the 33 isnt back up by the end of the day it'll be a shame

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
not necessarily NHL-related, but they just wrapped up a charity game in buffalo that lasted 11 straight days. the rosters (40-ish guys total) were filled with lots of relative nobodies outside of michael peca, but there were a bunch of older guys with NCAA and junior experience.

final score ended up being 1715 - 1690, and they raised just north of a million dollars for cancer research. it's also gone on record as the longest hockey game ever played

http://www.11daypowerplay.com/about/

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

I understand the skepticism around any team like the Leafs that comes up from worst in the league to the playoffs suddenly, but by most metrics people use to judge repeatability the Leafs are either fine or could have been higher in the standings.

Nobody put up unreasonable shooting percentages, they're not relying on a goalie putting up a career season, they're a positive possession team, their one-goal win % was actually poor.

They could absolutely have a down year next year because it's sports and that happens, and I'm not expecting a huge improvement by any means, but I don't think there's a huge risk in believing in this core moving forward.

The biggest thing to watch for with the Leafs this coming season (imo anyways) is injuries. they were one of the top-fiveish healthiest teams in the league last year in turns of man games lost, and the players that missed time weren't core pieces

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, and JVR missed a combined 12 games all of last season, which is insane

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Winnipeg was the 2nd youngest team in the league last year and had the 2nd most man games lost to injury. Chicago on the other hand is old as gently caress, and they happened to be one of the healthiest teams in the league

I'm sure age is a variable that pulls some weight when it comes to health and games lost, but it's mostly just dumb luck

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

If Buffalo makes the SCF I will murder whatis, to set the universe right.

tough but fair

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

iospace posted:

So, when are we going to start discussing McDavid's place as the "Greatest Forward to Not Win a Cup" over Jarome Iginla?

you're the mod. change the thread title and let's get the party started

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm not sure why pens' fans seem to think tocchet is a bumbling hockey retard but it's going to be really cool if they're wrong about it

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i love brian burke

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Habibi posted:

e: does this count as an off-rink memorable incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnQPJdaJeA ?

the fact that this isn't a bit from wwe is incredible to me

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
if you're desparate for hockey, the sabres are streaming their summer prospect 3-on-3 tournament. there's only 2 games left i think, but whatever: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/live-3-on-3-tournament/t-277437090/c-40474303

rick jeanneret and rob ray are announcing!!!!!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i hate the loving offseason

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the only suppression that happens when martin is on the ice is me suppressing my bile because he makes me want to fuckin puke!!!!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm going to feel really bad about all this in a few years when it's revealed ken holland was stricken with an undiagnosed case of early-onset dementia or something, but for the time being i'm going to enjoy him destroying the detroit red wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
gently caress the offsides challenge, george parros is cool, and gently caress the penguins

• Locked thread