Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's a rumour that the Leafs offered 2018 1st + JVR for Hamonic, which I hope is false because that would have been really bad.

Incidentally, I just saw that Hamonic had 43% CF% in 519 minutes with Leddy last season compared to 51.5% in 558 minutes the year before. Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

IDK how I feel about signing a HHOF franchise centre still very capable of playing productive top line minutes for replacement player salary. Is he more valuable than arguably the worst player in the league? Hard to say.

On a similar note I am looking at buying a new car. I am thinking about a 1962 Jaguar E type but I don't know if I want to pay more than $6000 for is. I'm not sure it's much of an upgrade on my 2002 Pontiac Aztec.

How many 2x4s can you fit in an E type?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Duchene actually had decent possession stats (relatively speaking) for the first time in his career. He managed above 55% CF with Landeskog with 38% d-zone starts. He was dragged down by an awful 43% playing even more d-zone starts with Grigorenko. I am not a coach but I don't entirely understand why one would try to make a checking line out of Duchene and Grigorenko.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So the Panthers lost Marchessault, traded Smith and are buying out Jokinen, all so they can sign Evgeny Dadonov for $4M per year? Okay then.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mind_Taker posted:

lol Brooks Orpik is still a Capital and Schmidt & Johansson are gone for essentially nothing. MacLellan doubling down on his stupid Orpik signing 3 years ago.

Nah it's cool, Williams and Johansson will be replaced internally with

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jeremy Jacobs won a case against the IRS to receive a tax deduction for the Bruins' meals prior to road games. Highlights include:

quote:

Senior Judge Robert Paul Ruwe observed:

As part of their business model, the Bruins’ goal is to win as many hockey games as possible.

quote:

Judge Ruwe must be a die-hard hockey fan, because he does a play-by-play, with pictures, descriptions and accounts, of every away-day event, from boarding the plane the night before to the moment when the announcer at the away arena shouts “And now, the starting line-up for the Boston Bruins” accompanied by the “horrid shapes, and shrieks, and sights unholy” of the home team fans.

It's too bad the judge didn't actually write that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

After taking a look at Marleau's stats over the last 3 years, he has not been especially good. Scoring rates peg him at a low-end second liner/good third liner getting largely undeserved first line minutes. He spent a bunch of time on the PK and was near league-worst in GA and CA/60 - almost as bad as Hyman, who has a completely undeserved reputation as a great PKer. Last season he barely managed to produce at a better rate than Komarov and Brown on the PP.

I was totally on board with doing the needful to get Hyman off the top line, but now I'm a little concerned. Also, Jeremy Roenick has led me to believe that his intangibles aren't very tangible.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Drunk Canuck posted:

I can live with that Hyman contract.

It sucks and is yet another overpayment for a player Babcock loves. How many gritty 4th liners making 2M+ does one team need?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Infidel Castro posted:

Other things/people hockey SAS likes:

Hal Gill

No gently caress that guy he sucked.

“I don’t like [PK Subban]. I think on the ice, he’s a piece of garbage. Perceived as like a hot shot, this guy thinks he’s better than everybody," - John Scott. Nope, he sucks too. He's no Rory Fitzpatrick.

Infidel Castro posted:

Ron Maclean's look of contempt for Don Cherry's opinions

Yes, but more along the lines of Ron dancing shirtless on top of Don's grave.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would definitely take Juicy Jokes for 1/6 of the price of a Marleau Patty.

Any of you nerds want to join a online (freeware) EHM league? We need a couple of GMs. PM me if you are.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

stab posted:

Presumable because Tocchet is a gamble

:rimshot:

hifi posted:

they should move them instead of the coyotes

... because ...?

Not that it matters since the NHL is going to be reluctant to move any teams as long as the prospect of another expansion team and the juicy $500 million fee remains tangible.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Why do you think that? Like, there are more cost efficient options out there, but Zach Hyman was fourth on the team in ATOI last year so they did need another top 6 winger who killed penalties, and Marleau's contract is set up so that he's probably only gonna play two years for the Leafs. They overpaid for a necessary upgrade — they didn't mortgage anything.

Well, for what it's worth (not much), Hyman and Marleau are close to the bottom of the league in SH GA/60 and only slightly better in CA/60. Yes sample sizes are limited but I don't understand how Hyman got a reputation as a great pensltykiller besides that he scored a few shorthanded goals. Soshnikov, Brown and Komarov all did better.

ThinkTank posted:

He's also on a 35+ contract so the full amount counts against the cap if he retires early. The only relief they can get is to buy him out.

Actually its been confirmed that 35+ players do not get salary relief if bought out. Marleau will cost the Leafs the full $6.25M per year he is owed regardless of whether he is bought out, retired or put on LTIR.

The theory is that he can be traded to a cheapskate team since his cap hit will be nearly $4M higher than his salary in his final year. I'm not yet convinced that this can be done without giving up assets, though, and it also assumes that he'll be healthy enough to play. Otherwise the only other option is Robidas Island (or a lockout yaaaay).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Finally, a better second line center than Robert Reichel. Now to get rid of Lumme and (Ren)Berg...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yo what the gently caress happened to hockeyanalysis and puckalytics, where am I supposed to get my sweet WOWYs from now?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They're boring and ugly, so really just perfect for the Predators.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apparently Liljegren is not planning to rejoin Rogle, since they're a bad team at risk of relegation and unlikely to give him much playing time. I hope he gets serious minutes on the Marlies instead.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Krime posted:

So... Uh... I guess Jay McClement is going to be the Pens 3rd line center. Signed a PTC.

He was kind of bad the last season he played for the Leafs and has gotten much worse since then so uhhh good luck.

Also he was below 50% on faceoffs last season so there isn't even that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Connor Brown should fire his agent immediately and hire Hyman's. I mean sure Hyman's deal probably covers some UFA years but who loving cares about Zach Hyman hitting UFA exactly?

Also, if anyone needed another sign that NHL GMs are refusing to use offer sheets for fear of getting kicked out of the old boy's club, here you go. Don't tell me Brown isn't worth 3M and a second round pick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Patrick Marleau is going to be for Matthews what Mark Recchi and John LeClair were to Crosby, except he'll actually win a cup with Auston.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

a 19-year-old draft only serves to reward bad general managers who suck at evaluation

Scouting has gradually been getting better since the dead puck era obsession with big useless defensemen. On the other hand, a 19 year old cutoff makes sense for one reason. The main problem is that you'd have one completely awful draft year when nobody new is eligible, but if you just time it to coincide with the next cancelled lockout season, that point is moot.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thufir posted:

Hey, they could still be arena leverage for the Flames for the next little bit.

Perfect timing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In case you missed it, Franson is on a PTO with the Hawks (as rumoured months ago) and Polak with the Leafs.

If I had to choose I think I'd rather have Franson back.

• Locked thread