Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reaves entertaining hockey player who I will miss watching, am uninterested in unreadable charts.

Am unexcited about Brayden Schenn at that salary for that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Phoenix talking to Todd Nelson about being their hockey coach.

I've been saying this for years but this guy is one of the best hockey coaches I've ever seen and some NHL team is going to win big if they finally sign him instead of some wrung out fat fucker who won cupz back in the dot com era.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Andreychuk was a one dimensional winger whose best seasons were spent tapping in back door power play goals from Lafontaine and Gilmour. That said I do not know if this qualifies him for the hall of fame as I do not understand how the hall of fame works.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Cam Neely is in, so yes

neely was way, way better, and also sea bass.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

a false posted:

[citation needed]

50 goals in 49 games and also actually made all star teams, four times in fact.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

All star teams are meaningless bullshit

I see you're confusing the all star game with all star teams, I'll let you rethink this post.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Would this be the same all star team that Alex Ovechkin was on twice in one season

Correct.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpiAsISfyk

I had forgotten the weiner dog

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

a false posted:

so for a really brief peak, neely was a better player than andreychuk. i'd wager that andreychuk was the better player for at least 12 years

Well probably, I don't know how good Neely was after he didn't have knees anymore and retired.

Playing 1600 games or whatever andreychuk did is a terrific accomplishment that I'm not trying to minimize but arguing he was a better player than Neely is pretty stupid, and if you're going to go after guys who actually don't belong in the hall can we please start with Gillies?

In conclusion Geoff Sanderson belongs in the hall.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

It is hard to choose a top lyle Odelein moment but this is probably my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgu3z5ecGps

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Controversial opinion: Ken Dryden was and is seriously overrated as a hockey player but seems to generally be an exceptional person otherwise.

Also for several years for some reason it seems like Kari lehtonen beat the blues singlehandedly, repeatedly, and this has apparently permanently colored my opinion into thinking he's better than he is.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

Hard to think Brodeur can get in when another three-time Cup winning goalie, Chris Osgood, isn't in already

I read this sentence like 4 times and still don't understand.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yakupov is crazy fast and quick and has good hands and a great shot and he tries so drat hard and is just really, really bad at hockey despite all of this.

I was a huge cheerleader for him when he got to the Blues and it took a while for me to admit that he just isn't an NHL player. It had nothing to do with Hitchcock or Yeo or forward depth or the position of the moon or the outcome of WWII, he just isn't very good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I feel like if you have the ability to score 15-20 goals once, you can do it again. Taking a flyer on the kid with the hope he can be a 2nd or 3rd line quality forward when he's shown that ability in the past isn't too crazy. I agree him living up to his pre-draft hype isn't happening, though. But I'd be excited if Calgary offered him a deal.

The Yak we saw last year will never be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL unless he's getting first line and first PP minutes and playing with elite players ala what you might call the Pascal Dupuis experience.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bet Luca Sbisa is the most discussed player in NHLSAS, which is kind of weird.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to try and make Robert Bortuzzo the most discussed NHL player on SA. For example look at these charts:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rumors that McDavid extension is 8/106? That's...actually pretty reasonable.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What were Dave Semenko's possession numbers? I need a chart. One dimensional punchmen, bad.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Trout >>> Crosby

NHL salaries should mimic the NBA wherein a small group of good players get a ton of money and everyone else is basically interchangeable and paid minimally. Roster fillers in the NHL are seriously overpaid.

Also Bryan Berard was awesome and really fun to watch, and so was Oleg Tverdovsky. God bless fast defensemen.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

This is a ludicrous statement even accounting for the fact that it's not Trout's fault that the Angels suck

Actually you will find it is quite accurate if you dig a little deeper.

Mike Trout Good

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Mike Trout is generationally good but so is Crosby plus Sid has Cups baby. Trout might have the same war as Mickey Mantle or whatever but he doesn't have the rings. And I bet he doesn't even dunk his donuts.

The cups is a good point but on the other hand Trout should've won 5 MVPs in his first 5 seasons and was robbed by old baseball men. In any case I think we can all agree that they are both totally uninteresting sports robots.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why in the gently caress do millionaire professional athletes willingly offer charity to billionaire owners

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because there's a salary cap and they want to win the Stanley Cup.

I mean at least I hope that's the rationale and McDavid got a promise from ownership that they would spend to the cap. So long as that is the case McDavid is offering charity to his teammates, the owners' bill will be the same

If my math is right the cap savings on this deal is like 1/4 of a Kris Russell. That isn't going to make or break a Cup run.

The lunacy of a salary cap in general aside absolutely no pro athlete should ever be deluded into thinking that taking a reduced salary for "cap purposes" benefits anyone other than the owner. I'm glad he got most of it up front though, that's smart.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just shuttle it all off to the Caribbean, it worked well for major European soccer stars especially in Spain.

Also the hockey ladies in the ESPN naked magazine have some serious booty :fap:

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 6, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Salty is at least better than creepy. go back to that pls

I don't think the attractive ladies who voluntarily posed nude in a magazine need you to white knight for them.

Also it looks like Phoenix is going with Noted Good Guy Tocchet instead of hockey genius Todd Nelson which is really stupid.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Conversely my wife was not particularly interested in either Burns or Thornton, not sure why.

edit - she likes the baseball guy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Has Brian Burke ever done anything good? (Serious question)

He did a pretty good job in Vancouver and really did a great job in Anaheim.

The lesson here is Chris Pronger was really good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
how quickly we forget....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
definitely did not know there was an NHL hockey player named jaccob slavin

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

really thought that was roger federer

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I really don't get North America's fear of ads on jerseys. Soccer shirts do it and people buy millions of them and love them just fine. We'll put racist caricatures on our shirts but god help you if you put a Jiffy Lube logo on there, that's crossing a line.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a nice contract for Parayko, I wonder what team he'll go to in 2023 when he's 29 and coming off of a 4th place norris trophy finish...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
alls you need is indecipherable charts, an air of smugness, and no actual "playing hockey" experience

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
if only there was another way to determine who won a hockey game

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The true end of an era will come when the last player caricatured in a "mutant league" game retires.

(I'm pretty sure its Jagr)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like an NCAA all star team would walk over an Olympics with no NHL contract players but I have little data to support this.

Also remember the 1994 Olympics, those were good despite the lack of NHL guys.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

An AHL team would smoke an NCAA team.

an AHL team without any of the guys on NHL contracts is....an ECHL team. they'd get destroyed by a team that's just the best of the NCAA.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
mcdavid/drai better than sid/malkin, come at me

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
also for reference the cardiovascular fitness of those two fellows is obscene

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm gonna need 3000 words and some indecipherable charts before I can make any firm assessment on that assertion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I'm expecting 40-50 points, improving the power play, and decent defense with some occasional gaffs that make everyone launch into how terrible he is defensively

he doesn't make that many defensive mistakes as such, he just isn't that interested in defense in general. as long as he plays with someone who can do the heavy lifting for him it'll be fine.

also eric lindros, secret nazi?

• Locked thread