Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

What the gently caress are the Panthers doing. Quite the turnaround from last year.

They booted all of the analytics people and put Tallon back in charge so he's tearing it all down again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lotta teams tanking for next season

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

supposedly Pavelec isn't that bad if you "adjust for shot quality" but those statemnts make me nervous

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

I can't believe Pavelec is getting another shot.

Well all the other good backups either re-signed or are apparently getting a buttload of money

e: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/880944802443014145

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 1, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'd be happy with the Rangers signing Burmistrov to a 1 year show me deal

e: Kevin Weekes apparently says the Devils put in a 7 year offer for Shattenkirk probably $7 mill per, NYR and Tampa put in 4 year deals for $6.5 to $7 mill per

I'd be hugely surprised if Shattenkirk took a 4 year deal :psyduck:

Levitate fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 1, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers really gotta dump Staal somehow in the next 2 years...gonna be interesting when McDonagh is up for a contract and whether they fish or cut bait. Could end up with a lot of money tied up in that defense (McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Smith, Skjei all probably going for over $4 mill) and you can't be paying Staal $5.7 mill on the third pairing in that situation.

I have a feeling they will be shipping out guys like Hayes within the next few years and hope someone like Andersson can come in sooner rather than later

Gonna be interesting cap times

but in the meantime i really like that top 4 and potentially the whole six if Staal can be moved

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Teams were allowed to talk to player agents and "express interest" for a bit leading up to today. Supposedly they weren't supposed to get into exact numbers but poo poo seemed to happen anyways and i don't think the league cares

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That Price contract is probably just keeping up with the % of cap hit that someone like Lundqvist had at the time he signed

It's a poo poo ton of money though

He's the best goalie when he's on his game but man he looked kind of off in the playoffs last year

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol I just looked at Dan Girardi's HERO chart and he doesn't even have a visible bar for shot suppression

So bad

e: ownthepuck only goes back to 2010-2011 but Staal's numbers take a big noticeable dive after he got that bad concussion from his brother that took forever to recover from.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 2, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Grigorenko to the KHL

Gonna lol if the Stars gave Radulov 6 years $6 mill+

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

5 years a little over $6 mill per for Radulov

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that subban picture is really awkward

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brendl was 1999 I think.

Stefan had a legit career even if he was a dissapointment for his draft spot. Yak has never been as good a player as Stefan

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

violent sex idiot posted:

Erik Karlsson dragged his worthless piece of poo poo team to the ecf. one player can certainly carry a team

I wanna know what drugs they put him on after game 4 vs the Rangers because he looked absolutely done. Then suddenly he's back and being the best player in the NHL

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Patrick Stefan ppg: .413

Yak City ppg: .411

I think I was actually think about Daigle for some reason. He had a 10 year NHL career even if it was always a disappointment.

They're all "bad" though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/882660825512775680

Cool, pretty decent deal IMO

e: only downside is that he won't be ready to start the season because of surgery he had to have and will probably take a bit to get back up to speed :\

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wait until McDavid gets 3 or 4 concussions and/or gets his knee blown out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

My favorite part is the bitter posters wishing injuries on a wealthy and talented teenager

I'm not wishing injury on McDavid, it's just a distinct possibility that he sustains a significant injury at some point like Crosby did.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

When I loved in the D.C. Area and worked in DC lived in Virginia or Maryland the deal was you paid taxes based on where you lived not where you worked. Dunno if it's the same for athletes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

glynnenstein posted:

DC is in a special situation. It has agreements with MD and VA about taxes so that you only pay as a resident of either MD or VA unless you actually live in DC part-time. Most other places don't do that and there are different rules for different states and localities regarding non-resident and part-time resident taxes and some have special rules specifically regarding pro athletes.

Since the NHL pays on a per-game basis, residency is a 50-ish% part of tax burden calculations so it's a big deal, but the overall math is pretty complicated.

Yes this is what I was getting at, the DC area is weird like that but I don't really know how it applies to athletes.

ThinkTank posted:

Not every jurisdiction has a jock tax, but most do. It's quite complicated and at times on shaky legal grounds. Several journeymen have made extra money by filing their teammates' tax returns for them. Most athletes have a financial adviser and it's not difficult to write off a bunch of crap like TVs (for watching game tape) and hot tubs (for recuperation) as business expenses.

Taxes are obviously a major concern for players, but they can be minimized pretty easily with a decent accountant. Athletes are as susceptible to misinformation as anyone else and end up getting suckered into high fee investments. They're for the most part new money (Mike Comrie and Zach Hyman aside) and have little to no education or motivation to learn about their finances, and end up entrusting the myriad of predatory individuals who circle the rich and foolish. They go broke because of major overspending and getting swindled, not taxes.

You're dealing with uneducated farm boys who have no concept of where their money goes and get taken for a ride like this:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/the-new-avery-rule/

Any excuse to post the New Avery Rule article because it's my favourite

Didn't most people figure out that Avery was either getting royally screwed somewhere along the lines or he was just plain being dumb because his interpretation of how much money they'd make isn't how it would work.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

Haha yup. In no universe does 95% of your income disappear before living expenses. Agent fees are capped at 3% in the NFL/NBA and should be around the same in the NHL. If he's pay's paying 25% in agent and money management fees, he's either being robbed or paying into a ponzi scheme.

Average household income in the USA is roughly $52,000 a year. In Avery's universe that family would have $2600 (or $216 a month) to pay for housing, food, clothing and all other living expenses.

Also escrow is almost always returned to the players in full. It's also never been 20%.

Plus in no universe is anyone paying 50% taxes, especially not someone who made the bulk of his earnings in Texas.

I mean the highest federal tax bracket is almost 40% and I guess state taxes depending on where you are could push that up close to 50% (looks like NY State taxes are like 8%) but yeah again I'd be surprised if most athletes are getting taxed on all of their earnings

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He probably has bad political opinions

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kevin Klein officially retired from the NHL

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

yeah as much as i like lias andersson as a prospect i would've liked pettersson to fall to the rangers. he's going to be good

Rumor was they really liked him and were hoping he'd fall to #7

Though it's funny, Anderson technically had better stats than Pettersson but I think everyone is just worried his upside isn't as high partly because he's not that flashy. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. He's also probably older than Pettersson

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I thought Jokinen has been trending downward pretty bad recently?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think when you get to the playoffs, a coach's ability to adjust and not be too conservative can make a huge difference. Trotz seems to be a good coach who tends towards being conservative when things get tough. Good teams in the NHL now can punish you for being too conservative

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

Bylsma was the worst at adjustments. They would play stretch pass hockey to the death and if didn't work it was because the Pens didn't "get to their game".

i mean I think it can be a tough thing, especially in game adjustments, because if you plan and practice for one thing and then have to try to change that on the fly it's not always easy. And also sometimes you don't want to change what you're doing just because another team is trying to get you to do so (at least IMO) So, it's a bit of analysis about what is happening and how to deal with it, but repeatedly beating your head against a wall p robably isnt a good idea

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ovechkin looking a little doughy there

Compare to Grabner:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWSO5VflOiY/

Levitate fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 10, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hand Knit posted:

How many of the top 10 things in hockey history are some version of off-ice confrontation? Because there's Terry O'Reilly going into the crowd, the Flyers fan going into the box to fight Tie Domi, and, while they don't make the overall list, I love Tortorella at the Flames dressing room and injured as gently caress Darcy Tucker going from the press box to rinkside to try and get at Cam Janssen after Janssen hit Kaberle.

I don't think the Flyers fan "went into the box to fight Domi" so much as his fat rear end fell over the glass accidentally and then cowered on the ground

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Lindy Ruff is officially an assistant coach for the Rangers.

don't you dare put Staal out there to protect a lead, Lindy :argh:

or for anything other than soft third pairing minutes'

or at all

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Small oft injured player age 26 coming off two down seasons sure give him 7 years

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

it may be tiny but he'll give it to you

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ligur posted:

I had no idea there were players named Slavin OR Pesce in the NHL. The Canes really fly under the radar huh.

it's because they've been real bad

probably will still be bad

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

xzzy posted:

It's a pretty good example for coaches to demonstrate why you never pass blind, ever. See it all the time in beer league, not sure why a paid professional is trying that poo poo.

Also if you get that close to the goalie with the puck you loving shoot it.

It wasn't even some awesome tricky drop pass, he just kinda spun and softly left the puck there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

signing Andersson to an ELC is probably more or less a standard thing to help keep options open, but I'm not thinking they're expecting him to make the team. If he does, great, if he doesn't, he can go to the AHL or they can loan him back to Frolunda.

Without a contract it's just Frolunda

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers signed their other 1st round pick, Filip Chytil

Almost certainly will slide his contract for the 2 years they get with him since he was one of the youngest in the draft, but it'll be more a question of whether he goes back to the Czech league to play against men or goes to the CHL

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

i'd like it if they could get him into one of the better euro leagues tbh. don't really love the idea of him going to the chl

I might be mistaken but maybe he still has a contract with his Czech team?

I don't mind him playing there again for a year but after that it might be worth moving to a different league with a higher talent level.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

See foote, callan

Blood lines!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bub spank posted:

The Sens would be a pretty good team if they traded away Cody Ceci.

You'd think they'd have learned from the Cowen debacle, but nope.

Their D in general is kinda bad it's just that Karlsson really props it up by playing half the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

While Brassard was a bit unlucky, his boom in offense the previous two years also came from different deployment. His Corsi/Fenwick look great because he was shooting a lot - his 166 ES shots are by far a career high - but underlying that, he's both in a lesser role and declining a bit. His ES point totals were fairly consistent with his career totals, excepting two anomalies in the last two years.

In 14-15, he led the Rangers in PPTOI, and was second the year after. Him and Zucc were the #1 guys on their power play. In Ottawa last year, he was sixth in PPTOI - only 10-15 minutes less than during those previous two years, but he was much less productive and the power play worked around the other guys, not him. His high assist total in 14-15 stems from Nash's 42-goal season, 32 of which were at ES, more than half with Brassard on the ice. His high goal total in 15-16 was partly due to the power play, although also some career best shooting in general.

His last couple of seasons with the Rangers were also kind of outliers compared to the rest of his career. He had career years in his late 20's which is a bit odd and really seemed to stem from the fact that he and Zucc were awesome together

• Locked thread