Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Here's a list of the players up for HHOF induction today, and my thoughts:

Lock: Selanne
Should be in already: Recchi, Kariya, Barrasso
Possible: Alfredsson, Fleury, Andreychuk
No Way: Joseph, Roenick

You can look over the whole list here: https://www.hhof.com/mobile/html/Induction/ind17prologEligibility.html

I am pretty big on Kariya. Maybe I am looking at him too fondly with nostalgia, but there was a five-year period where he was definitely one of the top-5 players in the league. Maybe his case for the Hall is better if he actually wins the Hart over Hasek in '97, and if he gets 11 more points to hit 1000, but I don't think those things should hinder him. I am also not really a small Hall guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

There's very much something to be said for going out on top. In 05/06 he played half a season terribly then got waived. That's a pretty disappointing way to end a career considering he could've walked into the sunset holding the cup over his head.

The 05/06 season is a treasure trove for old players who came back for one last chance: Lemieux, Andreychuk, Leetch, Mogilny, Palffy, Hull, Robitaille, and Yzerman are the eight best, but then you have Domi, Desjardins, Primeau, Zhamnov, Cassels, Scott Young, and Odelein.

Also, sorry to bring up Andreychuk everyone. I think he'll eventually make it in even though I have no strong opinion. Ciccarelli kind of opened the door for him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Nothing about 2005/06 makes any sense. Eric Staal had 100pts then was PPG one more time in his career (82 in 82 in 07/08). Jonathan Cheechoo had 56 goals then was out of the league four years later. Shanny scored 40. Peter Prucha was the hot, young goalscoring winger for the Rangers. Todd Bertuzzi was still an effective player. Mathieu Schneider lead the league in goals from the blueline. Cristobal Huet posted a .929. The Red Wings put up 124 points then somehow lost to the 8th seeded Oilers who'd go on to force a Stanley Cup 7th game against the Hurricanes on the back of an all world performance from Fernando Pisani. :psyduck:

Looking back, that year was just bizarre beyond belief.

Yeah, it's such a bizarre season. Brian Gionta scored 48-goals is another fun little thing that happened.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The reason people tend to think Hasek was significantly better than Brodeur is that Hasek was good wherever he went once he became a starter, and Brodeur's numbers seemed to be dependent on the quality of New Jersey's defence, especially in his later years. I think Brodeur belongs in the hall, because he was very good for a long time. But I'd rather have Hasek.

Keep in mind I think Hasek's a contender for GOAT at his position.

The other thing to keep in mind about the Hasek/Roy/Brodeur debate, is that it's essentially a debate about where each goalie slots into the all-time top-10. I would have said top-5, but then you have guys like Sawchuk, Plante, Hall, and Dryden, who could all make a case.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

As a Leafs fan, I would love to have Joseph in the Hall. However, because goalies have such a difficult time getting inducted. Since 1990, only Smith, Fuhr, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, and Vachon have been inducted. After looking at their respective careers, I think Barrasso and Joseph are a lot closer than I originally had thought, so maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on Joseph in my post. Maybe I am now rethinking this!

I was looking at the Vezina voting in 1999, and Joseph just barely lost the Vezina to Hasek. Hasek was the better goalie, no doubt (.937 SV% compared to a .910, for starters), but Joseph actually took more 1st place votes than Hasek. However, Hasek ate up a whole ton of second-place votes. It seems that while voters were split between Hasek and Joseph (Dafoe actually equalled Hasek's first-place votes, too), all the voters who thought Joseph/Dafoe were #1 then thought that Hasek was #2. Joseph didn't really have many votes outside of #1, in comparison to the top-4.

I hope that last paragraph was as fun for everyone else as it was for me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

This kind of thinking led the Leafs to trade Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

To be fair to the Leafs, the Raycroft's good season was only before the lockout. Yak's last good season was all the way back in 2012-13. That shine has worn off.

You just have to ignore that Raycroft put up a historically awful save percentage in 05-06.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

bewbies posted:

definitely did not know there was an NHL hockey player named jaccob slavin

Who the hell spells it Jaccob?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Since people know who Slevin is, I assume that someone is watching Hurricanes games. So, what's the deal with Hanifin? Is he still projected to be a top D? Is he taking the Hedman route of waiting a few years before becoming elite?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Reading about a potential 4-team swap in the NBA had me wondering if the NHL has ever had multi-team swaps. Apparently it's happened even more recently than I could have imagined, as the Coyotes/Preds/Habs all had a deal that mostly centered around Tinordi in January 2016.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

hifi posted:

The coyotes ended up getting gagner by way of tampa too. I think it's mostly because of the weird hard cap on salary in nba trades, so you have to ship off dead weight at the same time you're bringing a star in

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I would classify the Gagner deal has two seperate deals. He was traded to Tampa, and then they traded him an hour later. I don't remember it being reported as a 3-team deal at the time.

Kilza posted:

The most recent NHL 4 team trade happened during the 2009 NHL trade deadline:
Kings get: Justin Williams (CAR)
Canes get: Erik Cole (EDM), EDM 5th 2009 (EDM), CGY 2nd 2009 (LA)
Oilers get: Patrick O'Sullivan (LA), Ales Kotalik (BUF)
Sabres get: CAR 2nd 2009 (CAR)

Like above, I am going to sound pedantic, but the Kotalik for a 2nd was a separate deal. Edmonton had acquired the 2nd round pick in the 3-team deal, and then used it shortly after to trade for Kotalik. The pick was then used by Buffalo to trade for Dominic Moore, because I think this was the year that everyone expected the draft to be poo poo, so middling players got higher draft picks than normal.

The Oilers, like most things they did until last season, made two bad deals. O'Sullivan still had his shiny prospect glow on him, and while he flamed out of the NHL for off-ice reasons, he still didn't amount to anything while in an Edmonton uniform. Kotalik was a UFA at the end of the season, and left to go be bad in New York and Calgary.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was talking to a friend last night who played hockey with some dude who is the personal trainer of some hockey players during the summer. My friend told me that apparently Seguin drivers a Ferrari with pylons in the car, so that when he parks it, he just puts the pylons around the car.

I don't care if this is not true, but I thought it was hilarious.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I just spent my day off reading Patrick O'Sullivan's book, and my god, I didn't realize the extent of the horrors that he had to live through. His father was an absolute madman and controlled every aspect of his life. He was pretty much forced to train and play hockey 24/7 from a young age. The book feels like a gut punch at the end when Pat goes back to all his former coaches to ask them why they didn't do anything.

None of the NHL teams he went to offered a psychologist. He only has awful words for Marc Crawford, and apparently he was Crawford's whipping boy for his entire rookie season. He took a puck to the face and broke his jaw, and when he showed up to the next practice with one of those guards to protect him from further injury, Crawford pretty much called him a pussy and demanded the trainers take it off. Crawford also made him bag skate by himself for 20 minutes while all his teammates watched.

His time in Edmonton sounds largely disorganized, mostly because, in his words, they trade using him as a 3rd-liner, and that wasn't his game at all. Judging based on his words, he washed out of the NHL quickly because of a combination of poor management and his PTSD (that was only diagnosed after he left hockey).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Kilza posted:

This part seems a bit weird to me because he actually was high in TOI/G while in Edmonton (3rd in 2008-09, 4th in 2009-10), and he was 5th in 5v5 TOI/G in 2009-10. So it seems strange he'd claim that he was being used like a 3rd liner when it looks like he was being used as a top 6 player. Then again the majority of his games came when Pat Quinn was head coach so who knows if old man Quinn tried to get him to play more defensively than he would've liked.

e: Also, I'd feel really bad and super sympathetic for O'Sullivan with what he had to go through, but the way he acts on social media is just disgusting and doesn't make me feel as sorry for him in some aspects.

How does he act on social media?

And, from the sounds of it, Quinn didn't have as much involvement as much involvement as a coach should with the team. Then again, I could be reading it completely wrong, since he only mentioned one anecdote.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think my issue is more conceptual than specific to Sheary and Dumoulin. When I started watching hockey the salary cap was ~60 million dollars. Now it's 25% higher than that, but I have a dated mentality of what kind of contract a player should expect.

I think this is true for a lot of people, myself included. It doesn't feel like that long ago that Drury got over 7m a year, and that was a lot.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I realize that predicting Malkin will win the Art Ross and that Ovechkin will rebound to 55 goals are both in the realm of possibility, but they are both predictions I wouldn't want to make.

Also, Kucherov is somehow gonna pump up his numbers in this new NHL where everyone is scoring again, but McDavid takes a slight step back?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Colorado being that bad last year still astounds me. Like, sure, they are a badly constructed team. But they still have a bit of talent that, while still being in the bottom of the league, shouldn't really put them as being the worst team since the cap era began. The weird thing about all their talent like MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog is that they all took gigantic steps back. What the heck!

ThinkTank posted:

A progression of:

Age 36: 61pts (55.4% of peak)
Age 37: 59 pts (53.6% of peak)
Age 38: 47 pts (42.7% of peak)
Age 39: 27 pts (24.5% of peak)

is fairly standard for a player of his age. Most players would recognize they were done after a season like Iginla just had though. Players playing beyond 38 are so rare that there isn't really enough data to suggest exactly how they would decline but it's sharp. Most players see the writing on the wall and skip town before they're a real shadow of their former selves. Even Gretzky was done at 37.

I get that Iginla wants to go out on a high and not part of the worst season by a team in modern history, but he's better off just letting go. I'm not even sure he'll be an effective contributor for Team Canada at the Olympics.

I thought this was interesting, so I checked to see how many players have actually played from their age-38 and beyond.

38: 190
39: 115
40: 60
41: 29
42: 16

It's amazing that the number gets nearly halfed every year. Mind you, the numbers are slightly skewed, because as conditioning has become better, more players are playing longer careers. Since 2000, 109 players have played until their age-38 season, compared to 81 in the previous 81 years.

I just didn't realize how rare a player playing beyond 38 was. It also made me realize how impressive Jagr's return to the NHL has been. I never would have guessed that he would be able to do the things he has done.

Also, Iginla ranks 41st out of 109 players since 2000 in PPG for players 38+.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am surprised someone didn't post the top centres list and have an aneurysm over Matthews being ranked 4th.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Imagine buying a Clarkson jersey

Imagine getting one for Christmas a few years after he's left the team.

I don't have to imagine.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Dom at The Athletic is doing team previews based on Game Score, he did Detroit today and this is probably the most relevant image for Wings fans:

I am trying to figure out who the 6 are.

Has Kronwall deteriorated that badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Which playoff series did actually break teams? The 2011 SCF seems like the obvious first choice, but what else? Maybe Leafs-Bruins 2013 but I don't know if the 2013 Leafs counted as not-broken to begin with.

The 2013 series broke the team if you want to count their baffling offseason afterwards. Traded for Bolland. Signed Clarkson. Bought out Grabovski. Gave Bozak a huge deal.

I mean, it turns out buying Grabovski was the right move.

• Locked thread