Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What happened to days 11 and 12?
York is nice enough, though it's a fair bit further from London and can be very touristy. I wouldn't do Bath and York, one or the other I think.

Have you considered Edinburgh? It's a great city, you have the medieval Old Town up on the hill and the grand New Town down below. Lots of parklands to chill and you can walk up Arthur's Seat if you have non-goon levels of fitness.

Also if you can swing it, I'd strongly recommend a couple of days on the Isle of Skye. It's absolutely stunning scenery, probably the best in Scotland, and the outdoors stuff there is great. Old Man of Storr, Kilt Rock, Fairy Pools and Quiriang were the highlights for us, though you kinda need a car to get around.

In London, make sure you check out Borough Markets while you're at the Globe since it's just nearby. Also spend a day wandering around Shoreditch since it's pretty cool. Camden Markets are good too, though quite touristy and crowded particularly on weekends.

And if you're into art at all, don't skip the National Gallery - it has some incredible artists in the collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, Orkney is way too far for you to fit in I think. We did it last week as a day-trip from Inverness and even that was long as hell: three hours on a coach from Inverness to John O'Groats, 40 minutes on the ferry, about 7-8 hours touring around the island then basically 4 hours ferry and driving back to Inverness. 14 hour day all up - it was worth it, but considering it's another 3 hours between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness, I wouldn't bother.

Oh and in Glasgow, make sure you visit the Kelvingrove Gallery & Museum. Fantastic collection of art, and the museum is pretty good too. In particular they have a Dali painting of the Crucifixion which is incredible.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Liquid Banjo posted:

Do you have any other recommendations around the Skye area? I'll be close to Ullapool for 5 days and considered ferrying to Stornoway and back for a day (will have a car). Is that doable?

I actually haven't been that far to the north-west so I can't really recommend anything, sorry! You could do a day trip to Orkney (or an overnighter I guess), but it's a long way - 130 miles/3 hours each way.

In the Highlands we also went to Glencoe which was nice, and Oban too which was very crowded the day a cruise ship came in, but the other day was quite nice. Great distillery here too.

• Locked thread