Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I recently got a elgato game capture HD which let me finally set my PS2 back up and on top of that, I can stream right from the console instead of having to emulate games I already own just get to them playing on my monitor. I also wasn't really playing anything on new consoles at the moment so I bought a grip of PS2 classics I've been meaning to play and I'm going to stream a crap ton over the next month while I run through them. My stash so far:

Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
MGS 1-3 (metal gear July crossover, I've never played these games original hardware and now I can check out the stuff missing from HD ports like the Ape Escape and Skateboarding crossovers)
Ace Combat 4
Ace Combat 5
Silent Hill 2

and more as people give recs. I've played a fair amount of classics on PS3/vita in the years since but please let me know of good relatively short games I can pick up and play this summer. I'm also going to pick up a SMT game, I've played Persona 3/4 and nocturne but I wanna check out a DDS or devil summoner . I also kinda wanna play Jak and Daxter, my friend had it and I played it frequently but never owned it myself. It seemed cool. Oh and maybe I'll finally try some crash bandicoot games...

Let the summer of classic gaming begin!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Jak and Daxter is great, but really pretty easy, still worth checking out. Jak 2 and 3 are more challenging, but they're kinda inconsistent with their difficulty; they've got some very cool stuff going for them though and the world is very interesting to run around in.

Along the lines of mascot platformers is Ratchet and Clank. 1 is super difficult at this point and its age is showing, but 2 is good and 3 might be one of the best ps2 games ever.

I hated jak 2 because it turned into some GTA clone in the city

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fixed a typo in the thread title.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only ace combat I've ever played was 2 so I'm excited.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Burnout 3, SSX 3

I own these as well but I didn't include them in the OP because I've beaten them in the past. But I still play Burnout 3 basically every time I turn the PS2 on, just to do a couple of events.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Warriors and Bully
Hitman Contracts
The Bouncer
Onimusha

Warriors I've played before and it pwns. Bouncer I beat like a week ago lol. Duragon C. Mikado

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

I'm finally playing Ico

I love all 3 of those games, even if Ico's combat is pretty bad. The animation on the couple holding hands is still impressive to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Starting this tonight...torn on what to play first though...leaning DMC1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

you going to play any armored core?

Oh that's a good call, I've never played any but they seem cool. Any recommendations for the best one, PS1 or 2?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like both Tricky and 3. They're like the Burnout Takedown to Burnout Paradise of the SSX franchise (events on a menu to open world)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Steambot Chronicles is the closest thing to a new MM Legends game

Disaster Report is a weird natural disaster survival adventure game and Raw Danger is the better-in-every-way sequel, this series is coming back on PS4 with a true sequel and a spinoff where people are trying to survive Godzilla attacks and Evangelion battles and poo poo

Oh I remember wanting to play Disaster report.

Some more stuff I'm going to pick up:

Disaster Report
Digital Devil Saga
Michigan: Report From Hell
Shadow Hearts
Killer7

I played god hand on PS3 but remember not really liking it so maybe I should give it another shot. And I wanna play ChainDive but I think it's JP only

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

R.A.D. is awesome and underrated, you control a giant robot from a street level perspective and fight giant monsters.

If you have a pal over King of the Monsters is one of the coolest fighting games released on the ps2

I've played RAD for the lulzy voice acting but after a few hours I got bored because every mission is the same and there's like 80 of them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

That's fair. In Japan there's a Tetsujin 28 game with a similar conceit but more varied missions and an insanely realistic physics engine for a PS2 game. I played it and accidentally destroyed half of a Tokyo slum when I let go of the jetpack button and my robot slid on the ground for a kilometer, whoops

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If anybody hasn't seen R.A.D. please find a video on YouTube or something the acting performances are incredible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I spent many weekends in college playing bushido blade drinking games, I wish they would put a new one on PS4. it could be like a 15 dollar game and wouldn't be too hard to make

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my copy of metal gear solid 1 i bought off ebay for 4 dollars arrived and it was very clearly stolen from a library.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training it begins

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got hosed up by the SPider and lost all my yellow orbs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training more devil may cry

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It took me an hour+ to beat the loving spider but now im on Mission 10. the ifrit glove divekick is badass as is the lightning sword power up where you turn into a devil and fly around shooting homing lightning at everything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

heres me accidentally finding out that devil trigger exists after dying to the first boss for 45 minutes striaght

https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleFuriousNarwhalTheTarFu

i beat it in two more attempts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TBF the game doesn't indicate anywhere or at anytime that you unlocked it and I don't have a manual.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DMC + beers https://www.twitch.tv/in_training

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol at the 45 second underwater mission in DMC1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

For me this will be the summer (and fall) of JRPGs. They're not all PlayStation but I have the following planned:

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
Final Fantasy (Dawn of Souls)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Persona 4 Golden
Breath of Fire III
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Wild Arms
Wild Arms II

Anything else I should add to the list?

Wild Arms 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Get ready for a real experience. I hope you ordered both because once you finish 1 you'll want to boot up 2 immediately

I ordered DDS1 and Killer7. Ill probably pick up DDS2 later, I really appreciate that atlus still prints PS2 games so you can buy new in box copies of their games for 15 bucks and its not overinflated in value like every other used old game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I gotta play this lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

oh sht i didnt realize its out, how is it?

Japanese only forever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training going to finish DMC and then after that try and beat MGS1 in one sitting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

instead of beating the game i couldnt finish one level. but im still just gonna play MGS later to cool off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im going to try and play MGS1 in one sitting now....idk if ill make it though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually this thing cant stream PS1 games....i need more converter boxes or some poo poo. OOps.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGS2 is so sick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i just played mgs2 for 5 hours straight and theres quite a few clips I want to find but thats a huge video. specifically:

- finding out you can close doors by going into cover onto the proper hinge side
- watching the ice cubes melt in real time
- my strut F gameplay
- seeing if the vents i was crawling through were as dark as i was seeing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

i played zoe for the first time last year and its still good

i should check these out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anyone want to mail me copies for free

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJbE_kfybs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This game is loving awesome. The only thing I dont fully get is how to gaurantee atma, unless thats something that gets expanded later, im only like 90 minutes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe ill pick up 2. Im going to finish MGS3 today, and Ive been chipping away at DDS. After MGS3 Im going to try and actually finish DMC1 but I got stuck on CHapter 17. I love the PS2

• Locked thread