Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DDS1 question: I had assumed that at a certain point you would have 6 party members, since there's 6 people on the box and 6 people in your base with hair that color codes to the 6 magic types or w/e. I'm closing in on the end of the second main dungeon, do you ever actually get more party members? At a certain point I had everyone go like 1 step into the basic magic mantras because they were fast to get and I've had to cover all my bases weakness wise without being able to really specialize, I hope more party members join soon, 3 feels a little restrictive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've recruited Gale to my party. Things are heating up in the Scrapyard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training Getting back into Devil May Cry tonight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im tapping out of DMC1, and will probably move onto DMC3 after Splatoon 2 weekend. I probably shouldnt have taken a break and made myself rusty but at the same time there's like 4 enemies in the entire game and all the swimming crap is terrible, and the one boss where you have to scramble over its body and keep the lights on blows rear end too. It's a cool game but I won't see the ending.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

What chapter are you on? it's a really short game and you're probably past all of the swimming

18, idk how many there are.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also stepping away for a bit and then trying to like, jump around these barely visible staircases was very frustrating. There's way too much platforming for how crappy that aspect of the game is. And having played the opening 30 minutes of 3 and knowing how much better the combat and comboing is, makes me want to just play that instead of not enjoying more 1.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

You're close to the end, but hey I think DMC3 is better in every way anyway

Im glad I checked it out at least, and hell maybe Ill just abuse Holy Water through the rest of the bosses and see what the finale is like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh and Ive still been loving DDS1. Cielo and the Cat ftw.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried Mission 18 again and beat it, so now I'm going to power through before Splatoon 2 comes out so I have no distractions https://www.twitch.tv/in_training for anyone who can watch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trish....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I was all jazzed to get to the underworld and then you fight the exact same boss you just fought in the chapter immediately before it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol I had no idea the Platinum gimmick of putting bad space harrier clones in their games has had such a storied history

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I can beat this but I need to take a break. I will prevail before Midnight EST.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat it. I take back everything I said, any game that ends with a timed escape sequence and blow off final boss where you combine forces with your allies to do cinematic takedowns is S-tier in my book.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

if you didn't like the regular platforming you would have hated several of the secret missions lol

I didnt even know Secret Missions existed until I beat the game https://clips.twitch.tv/BumblingEndearingPotatoVoHiYo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Started playing ace combat 4 this morning and this game kicks rear end. The sound design during missions is so overwhelming and awesome, makes all the dogfights and maneuvering feel super badass. I also love watching the debriefing where they have little arrows flying around representing your mission path and all the bogeys and poo poo zipping around.

The only bummer is that I think either my disc is slightly scratched or the laser on my PS2 is going because it only manages to get through like a quarter of each cutscene before it fails and just jumps to the next mission briefing, which is a total bummer!!! I'll have to watch them on YouTube because they are all excellent so far, I love their WWI European flair + future tech bombing machines of death

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Theres a huge dramatic mission in Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies where the enemy is jamming your radar so you have to manually take down 7 enormous lasers while remaining under 2000 feet altitude or else you get immediately exploded. The next mission is a 7 minute score attack of you doing loop de loops through a foggy ravine shooting balloons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is the music that plays during he last mission of AC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ6ABV_Q9qU

I already love this series lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll probably stream 5 whenever I start it, which may be later tonight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my DDS update is that I've got the Iron Stomach + AP Share + high level hunting skills on my Phys MC and now I'm mastering mantra faster than I can afford new high level ones. Can't wait to see what the last few mantra look like, which seem to be locked behind mastering multiple paths. I'm on the sewers, after blowing up the cruise ship in the desert

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The latest acquisition

there was a classic games vendor at the FG tourney im at and they had new copies for 30 bucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have opened the gates to Nirvana in DDS1, but Im gonna revisit a lot of areas and see if I missed any side stuff and open up all the colored gates I had to skip on my first pass. This game is awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got Beezlebub to red zone but he killed me :eng99: I almost have the dekaja/dekunda mantra done though which will make the fight so much more manageable. I was just checking colored walls and figured they would all just have chests behind them but I just stumbled into a whole new dungeon + boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm planning on checking out all the optional bosses except for Demi Fiend because A) he's insane and B) he's NG+ only and I'll just be moving onto DDS2. Also the Karma Temple looks so sick. I love SMT's huge towers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Bosses with rotating strengths/weaknesses are garbage gimmicks

I kinda like those. When they say "oh they shifted form!" and then they glow a different color. The final boss of P3 was pretty sick, in that vein.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid Prime Phase 1 is my favorite of those, because it fakes you out constantly. Not a JRPG tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bosses without gimmicks don't really exist in JRPGs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reached a door that has a Point of No Return prompt so it's time to start hunting superbosses. The Snake headed boss right before this was cool and I obliterated it by accident because my MC had High Counter on and was doing 2000+ damage a turn off counterhits

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Killed an Omoikane finally after 30+ hours :staredog: it's like a liquid metal slime that taunts you randomly the entire game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao I never beat one of those things in my 200+ hours playing both games

I got insanely lucky and it didn't run after the first turn for some reason. Argilla gained 3 levels from one battle lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat Beezlebub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YwtKxyM78g

cool fight. hunting the 4 beasts now, i like that some of the ultimate mantra are just ludicrously OP and it alters the boss AI to gently caress with you for trying to use them to cheese the big battles. but you can use them to farm or whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also a heads up for any PS2 owners, a goon is offloading his collection for cheap $$ https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830645 if you say, don't own SSX3 already for some reason, nows a good time to pick it up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Played some Eternal Ring today...seems neat. I like the music. I probably wont ever finish it, because if I wanted to play a game like this I would probably get into one of the later king's fields or play dark souls again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ace Combat 5 completed, I love these games...going to get started on AC0 asap. I'm now insanely excited for ace combat 7, it looks absolutely gorgeous. and digital devil saga 2 is in the mail, cant wait to finish the fight

sick rear end music + feels here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68iE6Jty-00&t=318s

i hope though that at some point they just give the main character a model because all the cutscenes having to block them out of frame gets weird after a while

In Training fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 22, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

I also love how the bad guys are just so exasperated with fighting you, like they know they're gonna lose so they deorbit a satellite just to say gently caress you after already losing

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For anybody who hasn't played AC5 the big twist in the plot is that the war between Osea and Yuktobonia was being perpetrated by a Belkan sleeper cell terrorist organization to get revenge for their country being eliminated by nuclear weapons 15 years ago. But you are such a loving amazing untouchable godlike pilot that you were single handedly winning the war for Osea so they had to take you out or else the countries wouldn't destroy each other through a decade long war, which winds up revealing their hand in the conflict

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The back of the AC0 box makes it sound like you're going to play through the belkan war 15 years ago which is epic. I'll have to rewatch the AC7 trailers now to see what part of the Lore is going to be tackled in the new installment

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The mission where you have to stay under the canyon's lip while protecting the rebel hackers....the mission where you rescue the president from a castle on a glacier....when Sand Island gets attacked and you have to take off with a training jet...it's so good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

While so far the missions are more like AC4 in simplicity, I really really like AC0's Ace Style system, with the optional targets and being able to spare pilots that leads to branching missions, and the story seems like it will be a lot shorter so you can replay it a lot to see the 3 Style's affect. Pretty rad but I keep getting instagibbed by the space laser on mission 8 seconds from the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I couldn't finish AC0 because the disc is scratched and keeps loving up and freezing trying to load certain FMVs, which pissed me off because I was loving it. I tried cleaning it a bunch and skipping past the loads etc. but nothign would work. I read about the last 5 missions that I couldn't complete and the finale sounds like it would have been my favorite one yet :(

At least my copy of DDS2 arrived today

• Locked thread