Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have a Dell and i'm not sure how to enable the goofy staggered numeric keypad that takes up half of the regular keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
fn + numlk

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hifi posted:

i have a Dell and i'm not sure how to enable the goofy staggered numeric keypad that takes up half of the regular keyboard

I have one of those for work and it's such a joke

I'd rather hit the number keys at the top than try to use those keys and secondguessing myself all the time regarding accuracy

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

carry on then posted:

same but 15" thinkpad with keypad and also its everyone

15" asus with keypad

I opted to get a new battery this week instead of replacing my laptop because it just works

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think i might need a driver or something, i fiddled around with it for like 15 minutes a week ago and i couldnt' figure out what combination of fn + numlock + fn lock i needed

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I pray everyday for the death of expansion cards via utilization of thunderbolt everywhere

external gpus will be the only gpus, besides the ones that come integrated with your motherboard or cpu chipset

does anyone still get dedicated sound cards? creative labs still sells PCIe sound blaster cards...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

having some retarded squid of components is bad

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

welcome to the future, same as the past

htc vive requires three cables to connect just the vr, not including the controllers - hdmi, power and usb

I think you can get away with just one thunderbolt cable if you redid everything, so there's a spot of improvement.

At least we'll get away from the "no mom, that's the serial port, you want the blue vga port with three rows" support calls

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i figured the dell out, numlock toggles what the buttons do when fn is pressed, so i think i was doing the right stuff earlier but numlock was off so i was moving the arrow keys in a empty url bar or text file or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so a nvidia gtx 1080 ti 4gb is a good price and approx 20% faster than what i got and twice as much ram and maybe can recover half the $250 ish price with sale of old vidya card so kinda a no brainer

coz blender/cycles cant render envirnonment textures or do volume stuff on OPEN cl and only on cuda so need nvidia for that

lame as gently caress i know but who cares

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
renders dont come cheap

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL don't get a 1080 if it's only gonna have 4GB RAM.

get one with 6 or 8 GB.

or just get a 1050 or a 1060.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i cant believe people buy old computer hardware

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

LOL don't get a 1080 if it's only gonna have 4GB RAM.

get one with 6 or 8 GB.

or just get a 1050 or a 1060.

why. like tell me why thats a bad thing

im serious. like i dont wanna waste my money. but also, don't feel the need to spend money I don't need

im aiming for less than three hundy nzd here mate. like prob the <$180 usd market

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah nah mate going from 4gb to 6gb on any nbvidia card is like a jump from $280 nzd to almost five hundred

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

el dorito posted:

nice new computers will always be about a thousand bucks to account for all of the sparkly new consumer requirements like VR, 4K, HDR, USB C, OpenCL, Vulkan, etc and so on

all these except USB C are just names for ways of using the graphics card

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

echinopsis posted:

yeah nah mate going from 4gb to 6gb on any nbvidia card is like a jump from $280 nzd to almost five hundred

Sell Class A drugs and you and your wife's bodies

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

why. like tell me why thats a bad thing

im serious. like i dont wanna waste my money. but also, don't feel the need to spend money I don't need

im aiming for less than three hundy nzd here mate. like prob the <$180 usd market

because getting nVidia's top of the line GPU but only 4GB RAM seems like a waste.

like, seems you would be hobbling its performance with only 4GB if you wanted to be able to run games maxed out. super high end games are starting to be able to utilize it all. and if you're not gonna run high end games maxed out at high resolutions, why get a 1080?

a 1060 with 6GB RAM seems like it'd be better value and performance for your money than a 1080 with 4GB.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

because getting nVidia's top of the line GPU but only 4GB RAM seems like a waste.

like, seems you would be hobbling its performance with only 4GB if you wanted to be able to run games maxed out. super high end games are starting to be able to utilize it all. and if you're not gonna run high end games maxed out at high resolutions, why get a 1080?

a 1060 with 6GB RAM seems like it'd be better value and performance for your money than a 1080 with 4GB.

:goonsay:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Doc Block posted:

fyi

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Consumers have access to top of the line server hardware from just a few years ago at very low prices. You can get an itanium server off ebay for like $150 and run your choice of BSD 10 or CentOS 4 for example.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

do they even make 1080s with only 4GB? because i'm looking on newegg and don't see any. trying to search for 1080s with only 4GB on camelcamelcamel brings up old, non-1080 GPUs and weak sauce laptops.

also holy poo poo am I glad I bought my 1060 before prices went up. got one with 6GB RAM for less/same than what 3GB models are going for now LOL.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 28, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i bought a ex bitcoin 280x for 100 and it looks like ill be doing that with the 1060

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
cryptocurrency people are dumb af

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my main incentive for new video card is CUDA and renders, idk how memory fits into permformaxnc there

also don't really play AAAs

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
more stuff in vram = faster

GPU accelerated offline renders is probably less dependent on it, but more vram = better is still true.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

i cant believe people buy old computer hardware

last summer I built a pc with dual pentium 3s and rambus runjing win2k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

more stuff in vram = faster

GPU accelerated offline renders is probably less dependent on it, but more vram = better is still true.

yeah i believe that but word is that for rendering scenes like i'm talking about its all or nothing, if the scene can't fit in gpu it can't render at all, and if it can, well, it can

and that's not been an issue so far with 2gb

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

why

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yospos bitch

supporting the endeavours of the mental deranged for almost a decade

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yeah but like, run linux or something on it so it can actually do something useful in tyool 2017 instead of running loving win2k

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a good distro to try for fun is gnu/windows 10

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

do they even make 1080s with only 4GB? because i'm looking on newegg and don't see any. trying to search for 1080s with only 4GB on camelcamelcamel brings up old, non-1080 GPUs and weak sauce laptops.

also holy poo poo am I glad I bought my 1060 before prices went up. got one with 6GB RAM for less/same than what 3GB models are going for now LOL.

lol im talking about 1050ti not 1080

geeze like 4x differences in prices lmao

i just want nvidia basicailly

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 29, 2017

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just built a similar rig with SD instead of RDRAM
because gently caress RDRAM forever I burnt my hand on one of those loving things.

it has voodoo 2 sli too.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

because it's there

mishaq posted:

yeah but like, run linux or something on it so it can actually do something useful in tyool 2017 instead of running loving win2k

I tried installing arch butt they dropped support for i686

SRQ posted:

I just built a similar rig with SD instead of RDRAM
because gently caress RDRAM forever I burnt my hand on one of those loving things.

it has voodoo 2 sli too.

do they have slot–1 boards with both dual CPU and dual AGP? voodoo 2 was pretty obsolete in 2000 tho

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pentium 3 was slot? lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

mishaq posted:

win2k is good, you can develop for Sega Saturn, Playsation 1, Dreamcast, etc and there's lots of old software. you could just virtualize and emulate majority of things but yospos

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Silver Alicorn posted:

because it's there

I tried installing arch butt they dropped support for i686

do they have slot–1 boards with both dual CPU and dual AGP? voodoo 2 was pretty obsolete in 2000 tho

as far as i know, there is no such thing as dual agp

voodoo2 are all pci

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ye i remember when pcix came out it was like "finally we can link video cards again" coz maybe you could with old pci/isa but never agp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OldAlias posted:

win2k is good

the computer janitor at the middle school my mom worked at gave me a pirated/volume license copy of win2k back in the day

• Locked thread