Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

anything faster than an early core 2 is enough for grandma tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

last summer I built a pc with dual pentium 3s and rambus runjing win2k

I just built a similar rig with SD instead of RDRAM
because gently caress RDRAM forever I burnt my hand on one of those loving things.

it has voodoo 2 sli too.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

because it's there

I tried installing arch butt they dropped support for i686

do they have slot–1 boards with both dual CPU and dual AGP? voodoo 2 was pretty obsolete in 2000 tho

Dual AGP never existed, Voodoo 2 was PCI.
It is obsolete, but for Glide supporting games a Voodoo 2 SLi will fuckin' destroy. It's backed by a Geforce 2 GTS in the AGP slot.
This system is fuckin' nuts it has two audio cards (One for windows, one DOS) 3 video cards (Voodoo 2 SLi + GF2) two processors.

I love it it's the machine an idiot with more money than sense woulda built in tyool 2000

DUAL 933 MHZ PROCESSORS*

*literally nothing made at the time for a consumer will ever use the second one lmao

Still, the single socket-370 P3 I used fuckin' went up and died so I asked a friend and got this instead. I enjoy playing poo poo like Baldurs Gate downstairs on oldputers sometimes, especially when the weather is absurdly hot.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 29, 2017

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

windows xp was released in 2001. my computer canonically exists in December 2000

oh man yes, date sperging is a wonderful thing.
I have a 486 with a dx2 not a dx4 because IT'S SUPPOSED TO EXIST IN 1993

also i yearn to this day to return the simplicity of 98SE and 2K. When the installed programs sheet was empty after an install, and windows came with nothing but the essentials.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 29, 2017

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

It was, it's /very/ rare to see a Pentium with a turbo button and often it would just disable L2 cache. The architecture was entirely different and didn't quite allow it as easily.
This is also why VLB died- it was locked directly to the 486 bus.

Interesting to note that AGP, PCI, and USB all came from the same Intel group that in the early 90s basically looked at PCs and declared it was all loving horse poo poo and had to be fixed- so they did.

• Locked thread