Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yesterday's decent computer is dirt cheap

nice new computers will always be about a thousand bucks to account for all of the sparkly new consumer requirements like VR, 4K, HDR, USB C, OpenCL, Vulkan, etc and so on

I have an every day asus AMD laptop that's like 6 years old (and cost like $300 at the time) and it works fine for me. But once there's a nice inexpensive laptop with a good keyboard and USB C, I'm upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Video Nasty posted:

Fry's has decent cases under $50. Monoprice has cheap cables. Newegg has decent HDD prices, sometimes even Amazon has good deals. You can get an 8gb stick of RAM for ~$25;
so your budget is sunk in mobo, PSU, CPU & GPU.

it wasn't too long ago that SSDs were a luxury item. Now, they're cheap enough to be considered a necessity and you can get a 4 tb drive if you really need the storage. But a lot of prebuilt systems don't have SSDs.

You used to be able to get good Ultra-brand PSUs for free after rebate. Now, I just get Corsairs for $15 or $20 after rebate.

Building your own rig can really save you cash!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

el dorito posted:

But once there's a nice inexpensive laptop with a good keyboard and USB C, I'm upgrading.

There is no keypad. Where is pg up/down and print screen?

It's a fine laptop, for sure, but I want a real keyboard.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

some real keyboard nazis up in this joint

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

a keyboard has at least 101 keys

:yeah:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hifi posted:

i have a Dell and i'm not sure how to enable the goofy staggered numeric keypad that takes up half of the regular keyboard

I have one of those for work and it's such a joke

I'd rather hit the number keys at the top than try to use those keys and secondguessing myself all the time regarding accuracy

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

carry on then posted:

same but 15" thinkpad with keypad and also its everyone

15" asus with keypad

I opted to get a new battery this week instead of replacing my laptop because it just works

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I pray everyday for the death of expansion cards via utilization of thunderbolt everywhere

external gpus will be the only gpus, besides the ones that come integrated with your motherboard or cpu chipset

does anyone still get dedicated sound cards? creative labs still sells PCIe sound blaster cards...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

welcome to the future, same as the past

htc vive requires three cables to connect just the vr, not including the controllers - hdmi, power and usb

I think you can get away with just one thunderbolt cable if you redid everything, so there's a spot of improvement.

At least we'll get away from the "no mom, that's the serial port, you want the blue vga port with three rows" support calls

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SRQ posted:

oh man yes, date sperging is a wonderful thing.
I have a 486 with a dx2 not a dx4 because IT'S SUPPOSED TO EXIST IN 1993

also i yearn to this day to return the simplicity of 98SE and 2K. When the installed programs sheet was empty after an install, and windows came with nothing but the essentials.

taskbars looked like taskbars

for some reason, I have the feeling that 2k is much more stable than XP

Is there a perverse fandom of Windows ME and Microsoft Bob users?
"We must use ME and Bob as Ballmer had envisioned it!"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The only reason I had to ditch my trusty 486 (which came back as a Linux router and occasional Ultima 7 gaming machine) was because it couldn't play Quake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I feel like the 486 was the last gasp of the turbo button

I don't really remember Pentium machines that had them.

On the other hand, that was the time when I started building my own rigs and maybe I never bothered to splurge for a case with a turbo button. But the motherboard manuals didn't mention one anyway.

• Locked thread