Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

el dorito posted:

But once there's a nice inexpensive laptop with a good keyboard and USB C, I'm upgrading.

you're in luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
who the gently caress needs the Print Screen key?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL don't get a 1080 if it's only gonna have 4GB RAM.

get one with 6 or 8 GB.

or just get a 1050 or a 1060.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

why. like tell me why thats a bad thing

im serious. like i dont wanna waste my money. but also, don't feel the need to spend money I don't need

im aiming for less than three hundy nzd here mate. like prob the <$180 usd market

because getting nVidia's top of the line GPU but only 4GB RAM seems like a waste.

like, seems you would be hobbling its performance with only 4GB if you wanted to be able to run games maxed out. super high end games are starting to be able to utilize it all. and if you're not gonna run high end games maxed out at high resolutions, why get a 1080?

a 1060 with 6GB RAM seems like it'd be better value and performance for your money than a 1080 with 4GB.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

because getting nVidia's top of the line GPU but only 4GB RAM seems like a waste.

like, seems you would be hobbling its performance with only 4GB if you wanted to be able to run games maxed out. super high end games are starting to be able to utilize it all. and if you're not gonna run high end games maxed out at high resolutions, why get a 1080?

a 1060 with 6GB RAM seems like it'd be better value and performance for your money than a 1080 with 4GB.

:goonsay:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

do they even make 1080s with only 4GB? because i'm looking on newegg and don't see any. trying to search for 1080s with only 4GB on camelcamelcamel brings up old, non-1080 GPUs and weak sauce laptops.

also holy poo poo am I glad I bought my 1060 before prices went up. got one with 6GB RAM for less/same than what 3GB models are going for now LOL.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 28, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
cryptocurrency people are dumb af

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
more stuff in vram = faster

GPU accelerated offline renders is probably less dependent on it, but more vram = better is still true.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

lol im talking about 1050ti not 1080

geeze like 4x differences in prices lmao

i just want nvidia basicailly

ok but I just checked and your earlier post said 1080, so that's what I was going off of.

4GB ram is perfectly fine for the 1050ti.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"best windows" is an extremely low bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
they do

it's called Tormentor X Punisher

• Locked thread