Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i want an mvidia vid card so i can do sweet renders on it

maybe thinking three hindu a good price?? i mean more memory than current r9 270 would be sweet and faster sure but that's like 3 years old now and i don't need it to be faster just nvidia so i can do cuda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so a nvidia gtx 1080 ti 4gb is a good price and approx 20% faster than what i got and twice as much ram and maybe can recover half the $250 ish price with sale of old vidya card so kinda a no brainer

coz blender/cycles cant render envirnonment textures or do volume stuff on OPEN cl and only on cuda so need nvidia for that

lame as gently caress i know but who cares

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
renders dont come cheap

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

LOL don't get a 1080 if it's only gonna have 4GB RAM.

get one with 6 or 8 GB.

or just get a 1050 or a 1060.

why. like tell me why thats a bad thing

im serious. like i dont wanna waste my money. but also, don't feel the need to spend money I don't need

im aiming for less than three hundy nzd here mate. like prob the <$180 usd market

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah nah mate going from 4gb to 6gb on any nbvidia card is like a jump from $280 nzd to almost five hundred

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my main incentive for new video card is CUDA and renders, idk how memory fits into permformaxnc there

also don't really play AAAs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

more stuff in vram = faster

GPU accelerated offline renders is probably less dependent on it, but more vram = better is still true.

yeah i believe that but word is that for rendering scenes like i'm talking about its all or nothing, if the scene can't fit in gpu it can't render at all, and if it can, well, it can

and that's not been an issue so far with 2gb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yospos bitch

supporting the endeavours of the mental deranged for almost a decade

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

do they even make 1080s with only 4GB? because i'm looking on newegg and don't see any. trying to search for 1080s with only 4GB on camelcamelcamel brings up old, non-1080 GPUs and weak sauce laptops.

also holy poo poo am I glad I bought my 1060 before prices went up. got one with 6GB RAM for less/same than what 3GB models are going for now LOL.

lol im talking about 1050ti not 1080

geeze like 4x differences in prices lmao

i just want nvidia basicailly

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 29, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ye i remember when pcix came out it was like "finally we can link video cards again" coz maybe you could with old pci/isa but never agp?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what i liked was that the OS seemed like the most important thing, ctrl alt del always worked INMEDIATELY and task manager did too and if you closed an app it did immediately etc

it's like OSs now are too PC and scared to take charge

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

ok but I just checked and your earlier post said 1080, so that's what I was going off of.

4GB ram is perfectly fine for the 1050ti.

yeah when you said their too processor and i was like this is a cheap card i was suspicious

actually don't think i'll both tho because open cl development is probably fast enough that my limitations won't be soon and then i won't have spent money unecessarily

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

its actually because windows is bad

os x does this too, tries to shut down but some program has the operating system hostage? what the gently caress? just shut down. just kill it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whoa in charge here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

ive actually never seen windows 10 shut down. it just sits at that 'APPS ARE OPEN?!!' screen

i concur that this is bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah cheaper option for sure and you don't need SLI
BUT also finishing returns according to the guy who put four in his machine lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's the computer equivalent of getting some of your ribs removed

• Locked thread