Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BambiPowerBottom
Jun 19, 2017
Hello again,

INB4 insufferable d̶i̶c̶k̶h̶e̶a̶d̶s hipsters flock to the 1988 Mercury Colony Park,

I am back with great news my friends, the Merc I posted a while back is with me for the morning. (will post pics soon ;) )
So after interacting with this thing, I have a more solid sheet of what's what with this spank wagon.

SO, here's whats up....

It does NOT cut off at 60, the previous owner fibbed so i wouldn't race it...... The alternator is somewhat new and the wiring looks decent, somewhat.
There is a vacuum leak somewhere within the dash/steering coloumn. Every time I hit the gas the hissing stops.
and changing the oil is kinda wonky... It takes for-loving-ever to drain the old poo poo out. I have to crank the engine to keep pumping the old stuff out, and its not much either. I'm guessing maybe it has a s lot of sludge..

Any suggestions as to what these might be?

Last thing, I have to wither give this wagon up or my 95 bronco... I'm not sure what to do on this one, bronco has quite a few issues as well. more mechanical than electrical.

BambiPowerBottom fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My 1988 Town Car had two drain plugs for oil. The first one dripped out like a tiny amount of oil until we located the second one which was the gusher.

We also have an annoying hissing noise but I think it's the trans.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd bet the hissing is related to the HVAC. Ford was using vacuum to control the vent positions (vent, floor, defrost, etc) back then. Either one of the control motors (most likely), or the HVAC control panel.

Try messing with the lever on the dash that controls air output (vent floor etc), see if you notice any changes.

BambiPowerBottom
Jun 19, 2017
@SSS thanks, is there any particular reason why they chose to do that?

@yu-gi-hohoho- will do,

BTW how do you change the bulbs in the tail light, i didnt see any access panels in the rear. I'm guessing it pops out, or the trim around the light covers the screws or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BambiPowerBottom posted:

@SSS thanks, is there any particular reason why they chose to do that?
No idea. I assumed it was to make the oil pan clear the steering rack or something?

BambiPowerBottom
Jun 19, 2017
Back with deez news

After playing around with the climate control, the hissing is still there. No behavioral changes in any aspect.
Unfortunately, the voyage is set in an hour, so these problems will have to be dealt with later.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'd bet the hissing is related to the HVAC. Ford was using vacuum to control the vent positions (vent, floor, defrost, etc) back then. Either one of the control motors (most likely), or the HVAC control panel.

Try messing with the lever on the dash that controls air output (vent floor etc), see if you notice any changes.

Mine sounds hydraulic in nature and seems related to the trans since shifting trans positions will make the pitch change.

BambiPowerBottom
Jun 19, 2017

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Mine sounds hydraulic in nature and seems related to the trans since shifting trans positions will make the pitch change.

Now that you mention it, mine did the same. The gear selection is out of order too, P is P, Reverse is neutral, N is overdrive and overdrive is drive, etc etc.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I was going to change the thread icon but I feel like it was intentional.

BambiPowerBottom
Jun 19, 2017

Adiabatic posted:

I was going to change the thread icon but I feel like it was intentional.

other than solving the listed issues, yes it is a poo poo post

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You said you cranked the engine to get the oil out? What exactly was the end game for that, had it worked?

BambiPowerBottom
Jun 19, 2017

Breakfast Feud posted:

You said you cranked the engine to get the oil out? What exactly was the end game for that, had it worked?

That stemmed from my own ignorance of the merc's oil pan design. I basically looked under and saw a drain plug on the oil pan and had assumed that was the only one. I unplugged the oil pan and only a quart came out, I thought "lol wut, this isn't right., there must be sludge or something." I cranked the engine a few times to see if anything would come out, sure enough about a good half a quart came out.

So, before I did anything I would've regret doing and repeating the process forever I consulted the oracles of AI, and from there I discovered the second bolt of the oil pan, "the second El-bolto is por the gusho you el tard-o" they called it. Very wise people

BambiPowerBottom
Jun 19, 2017
As much as i want this car, it's iffy... SO my friend agreed to drive this wagon down in exchange for an amp, so far the tires are ready to blow (one of them did) the engine starts to overheat when using the ac. Plus it being a town point a to point b car to suddenly driving 3,000 mile journey mobile, I don't know what else is going to pop up. I already have one dog poo poo excuse for a bronco, I can't have this thing breaking down 24/7 too. At most I'm going to update everything thats been neglected, clean the interior, and paint the OZMA album cover on the ceiling (headliners falling out so im tearing it off)
I might do a few road trips in this thing, but for the most part it will be a daily driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
bet a fresh fanclutch and rad cap will handle the overheating.

• Locked thread