Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

HAmbONE posted:

“this is standard for show homes, we want homeowners to have realistic expectations of a lived in home.”

we hosed it up on purpose. yeah. sure, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

NotJustANumber99 posted:

we hosed it up on purpose. yeah. sure, sure.

That's what I was thinking but at this point we have already put down a deposit and their design team produced an amazing 3D rendering of our house so we could try different things. They seem like a good company but here are some photos

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I mean its just nonsense that doesnt stand up to a second's interrogation.

A lived in home? Well thats stuff that gets hosed up from being lived in not hosed up from the start because you don't give a gently caress to get it right in the first place?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I have no idea nd not saying like cancel it or anything. But at least now you know to have your wits about you with them and check everything and kick up a fuss. Its just how much of your lifeforce are you willing to expend on it I guess.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Bluth-rear end houses

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HAmbONE posted:

I hope your roof works out.

I’m about to start a major renovation on my 1969 Canadian house and I’m a little worried. Went with an all in one renovation/ new home company that seems to be highly respected. However they invited us to see their show homes and I found multiple finish problems. Two main issues being sticker labels on baths and showers being caulked over but very visible. Also metal railings that were visibly damaged around their base. I showed them pictures of my concerns and they came back with “this is standard for show homes, we want homeowners to have realistic expectations of a lived in home.”

Is this as dumb as it sounds or am I being to picky?

Try to find a decent third party inspector, because if they're loving up the cosmetic stuff badly who knows what's behind the walls.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Holy hell I was behind on this thread.

Sorry about your imminent lack of freebird. Workshop looking great, and I totally understand the "too many things in the way and too many layers of yak shaving to want to do anything on any project" morass.

I’m slowly breaking out of the other side, but being back in permanent employment isn’t going to leave me with much time, I suspect.

kastein posted:

Have you considered lead for your flat roof parapet instead of aluminum? I follow this guy "Leadwork SW" on various social media who does amazing lead sheet roofing work, mainly valleys, parapets, chimney flashings, etc. I believe he may actually service your area but I'm not too familiar with geography of the UK. He's located in Exeter and serves "the southwest area" if that is of any help. Even if he does not serve your area he may have a recommendation of similar quality to make.

What I’m probably going to do is use OSB and EPDM. I’ve bought a roll of it and have spare sheets of OSB and spare cans of contact adhesive spray from the workshop roof, so it’ll probably be easier.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Dear god what is happening here?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

HAmbONE posted:

That's what I was thinking but at this point we have already put down a deposit and their design team produced an amazing 3D rendering of our house so we could try different things. They seem like a good company but here are some photos

Wow this paints my minor grumbles about the bathroom fitters that just finished in a new perspective! All I have is some slightly dodgy sealant application and the obligatory "scratched the furniture in a tiny location you can't see". Though there's something weird going on with the area around the tap but that tbf might be manufacturing.

Also they put a cupboard in and not only didn't finish it (assume they left it for a decorator :rolleyes:) but of eight screws in the hinges used 8 different types of screw, I have a billion screws they could have used if they ask.

Oh also they put a big hole in the wall for the toilet waste but didn't fill it, just left it open to the eaves which are open so when the temperature dropped it got absolutely loving freezing. Once I noticed it when I was in the crawlspace I could just shove some fibreglass insulation in the gap though. Keep meaning to send them a picture bollocking them for it.

All these are trivially fixable or ignorable though!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Crust First posted:

Dear god what is happening here?
Wall carpeting. Very 24th century.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Thank you for your replies, it’s been good to get some other eyes on this. I’m going to reassert my concerns with them before we go forward. I should point out that the renovations group is separate from the new homes group who finished the show homes.

Sorry for the derail JB.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

No worries.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

In an event straight out of a Community Chest card, a company I used to work for is going to send me a little over a grand because of some shares I used to own, a 15% holdback that I'd forgotten about entirely, which is nice. I'll chuck it straight into the money pit, probably.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Hopefully the next one isn't go immediately to jail

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Definitely the property maintenance one.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

More roof insulation today.

Discovered to my dismay that when I moved the dehumidifier last weekend the hose must've come out, so it's been humidifying the floor all week.

Not much I can do but reconnect it and let it dry. They fixed this issue on the newer models.

Finished a whole bunch of the insulation. I hate working with this stuff, and I'm almost out of full sheets thanks to the critter damage from when it was stored outside.

Wanted to get it all done but just didn't have it in me for the last 10. Lots of up and down because it's easier to position a stepladder for each one than make space for the platform and do three at a time.

Checked the hose was still connected, secured a few things in the garden ahead of the 62mph+ winds tonight, and called it a day.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The winds have not dislodged the drainpipe and the roof hasn't leaked since I put it in, so that seems to confirm the hypothesis.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nice to have a solution confirmed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good news everyone, we had very heavy rain last night and the spot that was leaking did not. However, four new spots did.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Four birds have left, and one has arrived

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today unpacked one of the steel tubes I'll be using as curtain rods and took it out to the 'shop for painting.

First a quick sandpaper pass to clear mill scale and give a bit of bite for the undercoat.

Then a clean with acetone to clear grease and debris. I acknowledge this is indistinguishable in photo form.

Then gave it a nice clean spray undercoat, which went alright. The bits I expected to be fiddly were fiddly and I used a lot of it given I've 3 more to do, but it came out OK.

During this I learned that a disposable FFP2 mask and "good enough" ventilation is in fact not good enough and felt quite sick afterwards. Next time I'll open it up more and wear my proper respirator.

I also dug out Bertie the lawnmower robot from hibernation and cleaned it up to go back into service. If you follow the HCH Postematic Universe you'll know I have a rant prepared for this, which I will begin now.

How's this for a frickin' user experience, huh? The manual says to fully charge it before putting it away for the winter. Now I did that, and we didn't have a very long winter, but it was still dead and had lost half of its settings. So why?

Anyway I put it on charge and powered it up, where it asked for my PIN, accepted the PIN I'd given it last summer, fine, but then asked for locale and the date was off by a bit? And here's a fucker for you. Dates are sets of numbers, yes? The interface has a number pad on it, yes? So why can't I loving type in the date? It wasn't even a US/UK thing!

It's the 9th so I needed to put in 09. The cursor was on a 0 anyway because it thought it was 6th Jan, so I can just press right arrow, right? It has loving arrow keys. Nope. Maybe I press 0? Nope, does nothing. Can I press up and down? You can press up and the whole date goes up, not just the digit you're on. Can't go DOWN though. And you can only advance the cursor by pushing THE NUMBER THAT"S ALREADY SHOWING.

What I wound up having to do was go "up" to 11 then pressing 1 to advance the cursor then pressing up to go all the way past 31 and back to 09 where I could then press 9 to move on the to month and do the whole loving thing again for March.

You can just type the time normally though, of course.

AND THEN after accepting that it asks me for a new PIN, but won't accept anything I give it. Had to power it off and on again at which point it asked for a new PIN and accepted one of the previous ones which I then had to change.

Which loving dumbass embedded dev or their braindead product owner allowed this poo poo to go out in a "premium" product?

Speaking of which, I will collectively give you 5 tries to figure out how to access the "security" menu (the padlock) in this image, bearing in mind the top left icon is currently highlighted. Posters who own one are ineligible.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 9, 2024

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jaded Burnout posted:

Speaking of which, I will collectively give you 5 tries to figure out how to access the "security" menu (the padlock) in this image, bearing in mind the top left icon is currently highlighted. Posters who own one are ineligible.

I'd assume it was just press right and then OK, but you wouldn't have asked if that was the case.

So I'll guess
Back
Down
Down
OK

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Hold menu for 3 seconds exactly
Then 1, the OK button is a trap and bricks the unit

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Up down left right ok start

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You’re all wrong and stupid. You push 2, because it’s the second menu option. All the menus work this way, even ones that are just text lists.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Fine but my one gives your mower infinite lives

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

You’re all wrong and stupid. You push 2, because it’s the second menu option. All the menus work this way, even ones that are just text lists.

That’s diabolical.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pressing 2 was going to be my guess. That is insanity.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Jaded Burnout posted:

fffffff

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I guess its that thing of do you want to buy this kind of kit from a tech company, your apples and googles or whatever or from a gardening company like husquavana or whatever theyre called

I think I don't really want a robot. I think i want a ride on with a pack of robots that loosely follow me.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jaded Burnout posted:

You said we'd have five tries:argh:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'd have guessed Menu Right Arrow Ok, no 2 involved at all

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

EasilyConfused posted:

You said we'd have five tries:argh:

My rules are as byztantine as the husq UI. Nettle Soup wins via the honour system.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If what I win is the robot, I don't want it!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

If what I win is the robot, I don't want it!

Let's not say things we can't take back (to the store)!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't think mine works like this? Our yard is still under a meter of snow so I cannot verify it just yet.

e: I went and booted it up just to test, I use the arrow keys to navigate and press OK to select.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 10, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sounds like it might need a software update, but God knows how you do that.

Cases like this where I would prefer the option of a BT app, but still have the onboard interface as backup.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah probably needs a firmware update but that’s next winter’s problem now I’ve got it working again.

It actually does have a Bluetooth app but it’s not much good when the machine’s in setup mode.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Your robots been cheating on you

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-13202105/BORIS-JOHNSON-Sammy-robot-lawnmower-peace-garden.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

99 wins "link I'm least likely to ever click" award.

Today, we're putting the top coat on the first curtain rod. I painted the undercoat with it resting on the tower, which was convenient, but, as I thought might happen, it left a ring of disturbed paint at each end where it was contacting the frame, and not close enough to the ends to be hidden by the hardware unless I get lucky with bracket placement.

So this time, simpler, resting against the wall so only the very ends get disturbed, which will be capped anyway.

Quite happy with the general undercoat finish from the previous session.

Before we do that, however, Bertie needs his blades replacing, and I don't want to do that in a room that smells like someone dropped a bucket of industrial pear flavouring.

Ready to go.

I did want to test it right away so I could supervise it, but I guess it doesn't charge when powered off even when it's in the dock? So it toddled off to the base station. At time of writing it's now patrolling the garden and doing a decent enough job given how thick the grass already is.

Now for the spraypaint. With twice the doors and windows open than last time and a proper half-mask respirator on, I could still smell the solvent but it was much less bad.

I'm very happy with the finish, assuming it stays like this as it fully cures.

There's some slight runs near one end where I tried to cover up the aforementioned tracks in the undercoat, because that never works and I should've known better, but it's absolutely Good Enough.

Leaving that to cure and it'll be ready to go up on the wall.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 16, 2024