Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've just had to give the builder an ultimatum after he no-showed a meeting I had to book a hotel for, with no notice and no communication.

I've sent him a 3 page email detailing the build up of issues and a number of conditions for continuing the work, otherwise he's out.

Just skip to the inevitable end and sack him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Time Trial posted:

How much is fair to expect a contractor to charge for profit and overhead? Have a quote from someone who wants 15 and 15, which seems like a lot. This is for kitchen, baths and flooring. First time working with a renovation contractor, so not sure if that's standard or if I should look elsewhere or try to negotiate.

Get two more quotes. At no time mention what others have quoted. Pick your favorite contractor and use the quotes as a guide to negotiate.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

You forgot the renovation math. It will cost four times what you projected and ten times as long.

I do hope this gets easier for you soon. It is a very ambitious undertaking and I hope you succeed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

So there's a thing that happens with trades in the UK, maybe it's elsewhere too.

Tilers were supposed to show up at 8am today, this is a time they picked. 09:22 I get a text from a subcontractor saying he's broken down, and awaiting recovery. Broken down on route from where? Already 90 minutes late. This is of course bullshit, the broken down van is the grandmother's funeral of trade excuses.

12:35 I get another text, still awaiting recovery! Amazing that he must've broken down before 8 and yet is still waiting over 4 hours later.

So, yeah, they've obviously overrun on another job and are hoping they can pad out today with excuses while they wrap up.

Other than it being very annoying is there any issue with them starting a day late?

I only ask as getting steamed over it isn't worth your bother if it doesn't mess up your schedule. Even if you catch them in a lie, it will only hurt the working relationship. Breathe deep, remind yourself it's getting near the end and then go put the kettle on.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

xsf421 posted:

How else would he deal with the previous contractor?

By paying him money for an unfinished job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK guys what should get done this weekend?

Options are:

1. Buy some doors and see about fitting them (requires sharpening my plane)
2. Flip my front door around (requires a friend so I'll have to see if they're available)
3. More screwing down of creaky floor panels
4. Fill in various missing brick holes and a disused fireplace
5. Run the last of the speaker wire in the cinema room (requires cutting channels in the plaster and refilling)
6. Fit more network sockets
7. Replace the gas cylinder and arm rests in my office chair
8. Work on making a new home for my rats

Pick the one(s) that will be the most pleasurable or satisfying when you are done. You could use the emotional pick-me-up.