Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
This is a lovely thread, thank you very much.

Despite your explanations and photos I remained mostly confused by everything that happens. Turns out building a house might be quite hard. But in particular most recently why do the floors need sanding if they are getting tiled over anyway? Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick and thats a different bit of floor that is being left exposed as polished concrete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ah Ok. Cool, science, nuff said.

But yeah that clears that up. I've got a floor to tile in the upcoming future and I was just thinking er... why is that guy over there doing it like that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Predicted my next question!

Although actually I wasn't going to ask it incase you said it was totally, absolutely necessary which would not have been what I wanted to hear. So I was intending to defend against cracked grout by ignoring the possibility. It's how I got where I am today. I totally get that its dumb to half arse things but when theres no money, theres no money.

From a quick google it looks like it would be about 500quid for the area I need to do and just nope, I've already spent that on a big fat fridge that makes ice cubes because I wanted it. Also I know its not very thick but an unexpected extra few mm in the floor might be a problem. Being a genius, I have fitted all the doors and stairs and everything first so a higher floor would be an issue.

vvv Same! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the pair of us. Although a power tool related incident makes it very painful to uncross them anyway.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 17, 2017

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

We finished level with 1mm to spare.

Show off.

So sharp and satisfying the difference between the before and after grouting shots.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do you think you'll ever be happier or more satisfied than cooking in that kitchen?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Cos, I mean, if not, there's like 10k saved.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 2, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

Anything else?

Buying booze for the christening of the new gaff?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

dude. finish your house yo!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

wooger posted:

but still seems a little pricey for a renovation.

Yeah, this guy isn't really renovating, he's building a new, high spec home whilst having to pay extra to work around the existing building thats already there. 'Renovation', certainly to this kind of degree is often more expensive than new build.

It's all very cool though, I didn't realise how unfinished the external still was though. Sorry!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

Guttering guy has clarified his high quote, apparently they don't like doing groundworks so he quoted me high on the labour to compensate. Note that the groundworks in this case were his idea.

I'll go with someone else.

What groundworks? The house as existed had gutters? put some more gutters on into the existing sewers doesn't sound that hard?

I've just installed all new gutters all around my place where previously there were none. they look and (weird but I love it) sound awesome. Groundworks are pay fatman (in my instance be fatman) to drag a trench to drains and tie in, job done.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What are the gutters? Zinc?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Oh. No idea then, glue I'd imagine. Some of my plastic stuff has rubber sealed jointing pieces but they're stupid expensive for what they are.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 19, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Quite a few years ago now, but I carried a 2.4 by 1.2m sheet of MDF about 5 miles back home from b&q. It's about picking your battles. I'm bad at it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Villas
£152,526.71

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

This is going to sound bad and you might hate me.

But I am so happy and pleased to see your photos of wonky walls, bananaering plasterboard and unlevel everything else. I've been building my own place and it is whack as gently caress and I've been beating myself up and lamenting not spending money on professionals to do things to at least have things straight and level so the later things I do are so much easier. So its great to know paying professionals to do poo poo ends up with roughly the same problems I've got anyway just without quite so much money having gone.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

One of my examples is I've left a gap for a big american fridge freezer to go. It is perfectly correctly dimensioned.

If they sell fridges this shape:

____
\ ....\
. \.... \
. / ..../
/___/

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jaded, dude. You know I love you. Care to offer any insight on your underfloor heating? Like do you know the layout of pipe runs and zonal splits and all that? Don't worry if you don't and the answer is just: don't do underfloor heating. Although I would lament the fact that its too late now! lol. its coming home!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've put down 82mm polywhatnot insulation panels on top of the subfloor concrete slab. I've been told thats not actually enough but noone is ever checking this so I'm not too fussed about that.

Some of my issues were.... weird. Like my screed is going to be 55mm as thats as fat as I can go now and I was told thats the minimum. I have 16mm underfloor heating pipes which have a bend ratio that gives around 160mm as the tightest diameter you can go to, I'm mostly sticking to 200mm except where the weird rear end conversion I'm doing doesn't allow that and I'll do a lightbulb turn as necessary.

Thing was I was planning on breaking through walls, so in air, out of the screed. Is that a thing? I've changed it now and am not doing that, I just wonder if that was an issue or not? An old plumber mate I spoke to but wasn't really up on it was mostly concerned about equalizing the lengths of the zones. But my dad who had the first underfloor heating in the world and is an expert gently caress off says we can just balance any discrepancies there on the valves on the manifold.

Also. I have no idea. I'm going to be using a heat pump. How many actual pumps you need to pump the water? Every manufacturer/fitter/salesperson you speak to offers contradictory advice on everything to the point where I've decided with the embedded knowledge in my head, whatever I do can't be too wrong and just loving do it cos anyone you pay to do it will be either all the way wrong or alternatively all the way wrong some other way. Whereas dumbass me can only be a bit wrong in any direction.

also I bought 50m of pex al pex 32mm pipe to run to the heatpump but only used 18m. so anyone want 32m of that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've been on my hands and knees (and broken ankle) transcribing that pattern onto the actual floor all day today with my massive felt tip pen so bear in mind if you think thats wrong I will kill you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Cheers. A bunch of good stuff there.

Your slab based underfloor heating is upstairs too? I didn't know you could do that. So like the same pipes travel up through walls and back into a first floor slab? Or not in a slab upstairs? I'm very confused.

The reason I have so many zones is the plumber mate I talked to ages ago said it was vital to have similiar length zones. All I really want is (bed - bed - rest of house) so three, but pipe runs made it such that the rest of the house should be divided in three. To be honest maybe two by the time I was done but... Also I've bought the pipe in 100m rolls so 5 times <100m works out.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You'd think but real life is so poorly designed that there's a bunch of leftover, uncommented code from some nobody such that wood like I dunno expand and contracts at variable, undetermined rates and explodes all your cladding off your house if you do it properly. Sucks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

just nail the loving wood to the side of your house you nutcase!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Please tell me you didn't spend a grand plus on that scaffolding?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Well if you're confident you can get your money back second hand then fair enough but otherwise you need to use the hell out it.

I've got a set of 4x4s from these guys which has rebuilt me a whole barn. Well in combination with my dad's older generation set which had built several houses already and is still going strong at 30 years old.

They will even take it back within the 5 year guarantee period and respray it so you can sell it on looking nice if you wanted.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah sorry not helpful. If you're anything like me and my family though you won't even sell it, just keep it forever lending it out from time to time, taking the hit for everyone else for years to come.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Re: cladding. Ages ago I put some up on a bit of an outbuilding pump house thing at the back. Very quickly they all expanded and exploded and went to poo poo. I redid it with more expensive timbers and bigger expansion gaps. It's been there a few years but is doing it again only less bad.

A year ago or so I was cladding the soffit on a different bit of the house. I learned from my mistake and gave them very generous expansion gaps. They all shrunk and fell off.

I live in my car now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Advise us.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You need more practice is all. Kick a few more holes in your walls so you can get some more. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've done all my own plastering, just the joints and screw heads or whatever you call it and it looks, I dunno, whatever passable.

But I've also fitted wall up/down lighters and as soon as you turn them on it looks like time team's called in geo vis to a field in Kent that unexpectedly used to be an atlantean temple burial ground.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I only like it when there's pictures.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is this for a party?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I need to rent a wall chaser but it's loads and it's 110 volts so I need a loving transformer etc too. It's loads. It's literally a metre vertical then some faffing for taps. Do I do that? It buy a poo poo one? Or second hand. Or have at it with my grinder or what?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If we were all robots this would be some real weird serial killer poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've used well past it's sell by date cement. Nothing exploded.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lime let's thing breathe. Do you want to breathe?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I havent read back recently to look, but your mortar looks white and limey?

Certianly not heavy in cement? ALso the way its broken off those test bricks suggests the same?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 8, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Your scaffolding is too clean and also reminds me of die hard 2. Not a criticism.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Why didn't you just get worse plasterers to start with so the finish wasn't so smooth that you had to sand it all back off again?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sucks to lose a pet. Keep on trucking with the gaff, be worth it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Like the wall isn't plumb so you can't just whack on some timber door surround detailing?

Sorry without pictures and diagrams I rarely get anything. I've had this conversation before with previous girlfriends.