Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Yeah, in America pulling permits is just to ensure the absolute minimum code is followed and the construction is done where the plans show and not over an easement or on a dangerous slope. While some areas here have historical registers protecting a few buildings its pretty unfortunate that almost all of our historically significant buildings are those held by institutions, trusts or non- profits. In my city, all of the interesting buildings that once were landmarks have either been torn down or can now only be seen from across the street because they've been surrounded by 5 story commercial/condo blocks. Even the university is doing the same thing on their campus, crowding lovely old architecture designed to last forever with disposable office blocks that are already looking worn and ugly after 7 years. I guess what I'm saying is I wish we could find a better balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU