Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A lot of that in the US is also a result of many of those 'charming old buildings' being full of nightmarish levels of safety hazards due to the day and age they were built in, and being cheaper to tear down wholesale and replace than remodel up to code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Time for a rousing game of 'Hearth or Window'?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh, and I wouldn’t go with a small company for a big project again because their warranty is only as good as the solvency of the company. If he folds (which is looking very possible) then it’s worthless.

That's actually a strategy here. Roofers and tract housing buildiers especially seem to fold and reincorporate under a different name every five years or so like clockwork, just about when you could reasonably expect warrantied problems to tick up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Is it staying that color? Looks pretty good as-is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

This is why I dread building. I don't have the time to do it all myself, but I also don't have the time to hover over the contractors and make sure they don't half rear end it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I ain't touchin' that garden.

I attacked it when I first moved in as it was in a similar state, and that grass is angry and does not wish to be cut.

My approach this time will be to let either the landscaper or winter kill it all, whichever comes first (it'll be winter).

Winter kill it then rent a sickle bar mower and go scorched earth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Check out kastein's thread in here for some of that as well, IIRC he put in-floor heating in the house he has completely gutted and rebuilt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That looks really nice. All the time and effort paid off there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Dave posted:

You need a little more practice to know better than to do any sort of mudding or plaster work on your own again. God I hate it so much.

The Dave is a Wise Dave. gently caress plastering, by the time I'd get it acceptable it would be more than worth my time to pay a professional and buy a six pack of something to relax with.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's not a load bearing stud, is it? Half an inch seems like a lot to chop out of a 1.5" thick piece of dimensional lumber if it's got to bear any weight.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, I've had issues with certain bluetooth earbuds fitting underneath ear muffs. The models with just a wire/remote between the two earbuds tend to be too big at the earbud to fit properly. The headband style tend to leave the actual earbuds as small as possible, which works underneath earmuffs.

I finally settled on these Anker Soundbuds Lite, which unfortunately are no longer available.

I have these at work:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes...8-1-spons&psc=1

Earpro with built-in bluetooth for listening to podcasts while working under hideously loud fans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Paying someone else to do that is a drat fine idea.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rexxed posted:

When I took woodworking in high school I glued up a tabletop for my big senior project. I used bar clamps across the boards. To my horror the next day they had all slid slightly back and forth so the ends weren't flush (fortunately not much vertically). I had to cut the ends flush and add on some extra pieces to make the dimensions I had originally planned. That was a real lesson in clamping for glue without any other kind of registration pins or more clamps. I feel you have a good amount of clamps and more is always good.

I'm still using the table 20+ years later so it worked out but it was never pretty.

I did similar back in the day, and with the advice of my granddad glued it up oversized, then squared the ends and planed it flat after.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I buy them in bulk 25 packs for work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's all about sizing with wire nuts. They're meant to be cutting into the soft copper wires a little as you screw them on. Otherwise they can, as you've seen, be yanked right off.

They're color coded based on what size wire they're meant to take.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

I mean, I'm the weirdo who breaks out the feeler gauges to check my gaps, but I can't understand doing such sloppy work at all. A lot of that is legitimately dangerous, wildly leaning walls, compromised trusses, accidents waiting to happen. It's baffling how these people sleep at night.

They sleep the sleep of someone whose business will have declared bankruptcy and reincorporated under a different name in the next county over by the time the owners notice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

You joke, but if I were single, this is about how it would go for me.
Give me a huge show and a few hundred square feet of studio apartment, and I'm good.
Like, an airplane hanger with an apartment in the corner would be great.

Saaame. I keep looking at plans for a pole barn with a two bedroom apartment over it, and it is tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think the stain is the key to lowering maintenance for me, I love the as-new natural look but hate the natural greyed look after UV exposure, so I'm going to be doing that to the extension at some point.

The extension is done in something cedar-adjacent (baltic birch maybe?) so it's durable from weather, just not the sun. It was overlapping profile-milled boards, though, shiplap style. Did you do anything particular for the gaps between your boards?

Re PVC, I've known about the americans doing "vinyl siding" for longer than I knew what siding/cladding was, and I assume that's PVC.

You can get clear uv-resistant exterior stain if you like the raw-ish woold look but don't want bleaching.