Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

peanut posted:

You could like… put long boards under the feet of the bed, like skis, to distribute the weight, just in case.

The floorboards should already be doing this. If it's an old house I know the sort of concern because floor joists in old places can look worryingly thin, but they generally don't have that big a span to balance it out in my (limited)experience.

Then you get crazy poo poo like a chimney breast being removed and seemingly replaced with a bundle of sticks with concrete poured on top like I have, leading to a weirdly specific floor sag.

Also this thread is great and I read the entire thing end to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

peanut posted:

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down just enough to make it unlivable and unsellable, but not badly enough that insurance will pay to fix it.

Check this poo poo out:

As far as I can tell, there was a sort of double chimney breast and the furthest part was removed, leaving a small mantle. But above it the joists were boxed around what was previously brickwork so they did..... Whatever that is. The plasterer doing the ceiling when that was taken said 'oh yeah see this all the time' and apart from a blown floorboard above and some sag it seems stable.

Also if anyone tells you they used to build things better in the old days, they're lying.

edit: also note the wiring described as "amateurish" by the electrician. This was after one of the pipes in that ceiling broke and flooded through the downlights, through the floor and into the flat downstairs.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 16, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m not doing the plastering, I know better than that, this is just filling in, a “decorator’s job”. It’s exactly the sort of fiddly work that jacks quotes up sky high.

Haha yep, decorating costs are directly proportional to how much of a ballache the job is. Woodwork, filling in etc. adds massively because it's such a poo poo job. Source: me getting done for a chunk of money largely based on how much of a pain in the rear end the work was rather than any technical difficulty (except for rebuilding some alcove shelves and cupboard because carpenters are expensive).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Just sand the door to fit. Only you and everyone in this thread will know and if anyone else notices you can pass it off as "character".

Why yes, one of my doors is basically a parallelogram, how did you guess??

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Title change to 'JB's Birdhouse renovation".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Have you got the integrated filling loop on that? Because I had one of those boilers without one and it was a total pain in the arse to fill it using an included crappy plastic key that never fit the valve properly. The only possible way I could see that the manufacturer could have come up with the design was to make you spend the extra money for the integral loop thta made it less poo poo.

I'm also glad to see that your plumbing is even mind boggling than mine which is currently a jungle of pipes pumping water back and forth from a cylinder for no good reason.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm beginning to realise that trades broadly have an allergy to reading instructions. This is for sure why inspectors exist in big construction corps.

I've also started recontextualising all subtle cues the building control inspector was (possibly) giving off during the renovations here.

Also let's face it it's easy to do a job that'll just about pass muster so that by the time it goes wrong they'll be elsewhere/have liquidated/cna come back and charge you to fix it.

E.g. Whoever plumbed my kitchen sink put it together backwards so that the sink is on the wrong side of the bend and it smells of drains whenever you turn an appliance on. They also used a stack of 6 spacers to create a vertical instead of cutting a length of pipe, but whoever owned it at the time wouldn't have noticed because checking under the sink is the last thing you're gonna do when you get a kitchen fitted.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I could be wrong on this but I have a feeling that the back board behind the supply is National Grid property because I once had a British gas engineer freak out about mine and call a pissed off NG engineer out on it just because it was loose.

Also they can have asbestos boarding behind them to prevent the spread of fire if the supply blows so don't like, drill it.

Edit: doesn't look like there's asbestos on that one(famous last words), here's one weird trick though: get your supplier to book a smart meter installation as these require the main supply to be switched off and the meter replaced, and they should either fix it all up for you or at least do a "nah mate" and tell you who can.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 25, 2019

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah the backboard can have asbestos which then brings up arguments over who should maintain it if its found. or who authorises the test to begin with since the meter box is the supplier's property

glad i haven't had a confirmed result yet but building regs need serious overhauls

Yeah that's how I knew it actually, came up on an asbestos survey I had to do for some reason. Iirc it fell into the "it's bonded so just don't gently caress with it" category, not the "get the gently caress out of the house" category.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah that's a fair approach and you're right about it being mixed with these things, the same pair that fixed up the board nearly marked the (brand new) boiler as unsafe for having a flue too close to a door until they realised they could measure diagonally.

The best one was when BT fixed my master socket and were confused as to how I had a "real" nte5 master with no bt branding on it. Certainly it would be impossible for someone to have replaced and rewired the ancient GPO terminator themself using off the shelf parts :iiam:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

God drat that's a shoddy job on that board.

Also I can personally attest that Eon don't use their own engineers but subcontract because their subcontractors have failed to turn up to do a smart meter install twice in a row now, but on the other hand I've made £60 in "service standard payments" because of this.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

All my doors open towards the room rather than the wall because they're 1920s and this way you preserve the ~*modesty*~ of anyone in the room if you bust in while they're in there doing whatever shameful things people did back then, and it's actually quite annoying because it takes a big sweep out of the room for the 180 degree whole arc of the door (instead of just a corner) and in the case of the bathroom means exactly what someone else said: to get in you have to go around the door which is annoying.

Edit: also have you considered a slider on the shower? I think the straight ones are fairly low maintenance because they can mostly hang from a rail on the top instead of being recessed into the frame at the bottom and becoming a mold trap

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 19, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

wooger posted:

Bare brick on the outside, yes.

Jaded Burnout posted:

In which case, I have NFI on the best approach, sorry.

From what I know the answer is "there isn't one". Insulating inside is easier in some ways because you could put insulated plasterboard on the walls or stud and fill the voids if you don't mind losing the space, but anywhere you miss will be a condensation trap because it'll be colder. Brickwork around windows is the main problem I think.

So the other option is insulate the outside which is a poo poo load more expensive. Not sure how they do it actually, cladding or some kind I'd guess.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sliding doors for everyone imho.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Some older UK houses have the bathroom split into 2 separate unusably tiny rooms, last one I lived in like that had toilet and dolls-house sized sink in one, bath and vanity in the other.

Can personally confirm this. Fortunately that era was also the "brick walls sitting on floorboards" one so the walls of these things are very rarely supporting so you can knock them out and have a more normal layout relatively easily.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Pretty sure the police had a manhunt for a guy that broke a seagull's neck after it stole his chips and that's definitely going to ruin your day. Also don't lay poison outside of an actual rat trap it's just going to end up with something else eating it, though someone told me that rat poison is often actually warfarin which may or may not be toxic to other things.

Anyway if you really want to get rid of seagulls, get a Harris hawk. One used to get brought round to my office to scare them off the roof and it works a treat.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Rexxed posted:

The shaper is really cool. Now you can route your own Live, Laugh, Love! wall decor. :v:

Yes but it's just "mark, cut, repeat"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh and the fireplace guy no-showed. I'm told that he's had a death in the family, and, look, one thing that school children and trades have in common is the excuses they use for not having done what they said they'd do, but in the current world situation I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

I had an excellent one once: "he went fishing and put his foot through a wasp nest and was stung so badly he's had to stay in bed for a week" :aaa:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

That's an incredibly detailed plan wow. I got a shed replaced, a patio laid and a fence/gate replaced with what was essentially waving a hand in the general direction and the guys writing about three lines in the quote then turning up and cracking on with more or less whatever they seemed to think was a good idea. It worked but a couple of bits area little bit.... Off. Then again the patio looked so good the neighbour got them to build her one while they were there.

Also, as a suggestion, maybe put somewhere near the side gate to store the bins if you don't have somewhere out front already.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Gravel boards (concrete or super treated /dried) should work for just a bit of soil at the bottom to raise the level.

Edit: but whatever you do it'll get hosed up eventually. This is what I tell myself when I do a bad job anyway "it'd have ended up like that eventually!".

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 29, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

You must get on well with the heat death of the universe, then.

Sometimes the best way to avoid total despair is to just accept the inevitable. And drinking.

This also helps with gardening in general.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Both the guys that I got to build a shed and lay a patio were called Jamie which made it extremely confusing who you were emailing and/or paying, there was a third guy that did the actual patio laying who may have also been called Jamie and had an extremely dim view of the average patio in the local area.

They did a reasonably good job (the shed was in no way up to your standards but is good enough) but christ were they messy. I was finding nail gun nails around in the grass for weeks.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

theparag0n posted:

How are you going to keep the insulation in?

Didn't you read the post? He's got a glue gun.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

schmug posted:

Have you thought about getting an engineering degree and just signing off on everything yourself?

You joke but I know someone that did this.

I mean, he didn't get the degree specifically so he could sign off the calcs on his extension, but if you're a chartered structural engineer you absolutely can do it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Idk the exemption where there is reasonable access to the "rest of the building" sounds like it covers it, regardless of whether the building has access or not.

I cannot imagine that all the "home offices" people have had plonked in their gardens contain wheelchair accessible facilities and are presumably grandfathered in on the grounds of the main building not being compliant in the first place because are you really going to buy a house where you can only physically get into the out building?

Edit: I think in my one experience with building control I found them very reasonable. I might be imagining it but I might have even have had a conversation about wheelchair access that got written off immediately because a) it was a loft extension and b) the ground floor access was up a narrow set of stairs so there was no possibly way you could ever get a wheelchair into the place anyway

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 25, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think they'd be suspicious of a 64sqm toilet.

Can't have too much of a good thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2b-wTJ8x3E

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ooh, MDF on an outdoor structure. Daring!

I thought you were joking :pwn:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

What was the adhesive even there for? That was a new beam right?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alright vectr is out too. It's very performant but check this poo poo out.

These are the same corner in the same (mm) grid, at increasing (in-app) zoom levels.

Things it's OK for a grid to do as you zoom in:
1. Become more granular

Things it's not OK for a grid to do as you zoom in:
1. Keep shifting position
2. Keep shifting shape (wtf?)
3. Start showing half-grids in only one axis and flip between them
4. Only half bother to draw the stroke grid-aligned
5. At no point actually be correct
6. At no point draw any actual squares

Ah the ol' MS Visio zoom approach: only show gridlines as a divisor of the overall canvas, not as a specific physical width. Or something.

I used to be good at CAD but that was a long, long, time ago.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

There's a whole spoil pile of roots and rubble, plus glass! Why is there glass all over this garden.

I grew up in a thatched cottage circa 200 years old and the soil was littered with glass in parts because back then we lacked the technology or infrastructure to build bottle banks to consolidate glass waste into one place that the local children could go to and throw stones in. Instead you had to smash up your bottles in your own garden like a peasant.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I thought that if you build a place from scratch you're supposed to split rainwater from sewerage, but any house older than idk 40 years or whatever wouldn't even have separate connections to do it if you wanted to so you get a pass.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, the reason I was so casual about quitting my job in April is because my skills are in high demand. I had paperwork signed for a new contract 48 hours after texting my recruiter.

I’m deliberately doing 6mo on 6mo off.

Surely there cant be that many holes that need digging by hand?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

On the other hand, the "who's gonna know?" principle applies because despite being on the slow slide to a police state, your local council is not yet allowed to spot inspect your kitchen for suspicious appliances.

I actually think BT might be though due to some holdover from GPO law where interfering with a phone line termination was a crime, but the standard there is to say "it was like that when I got here" after you fitted your own nte5 box in contravention of their bullshit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I mean, I should probably have said that this applies to the case of "remove 3 wires, replace with 3 identical wires" as with replacing a hard wired oven and not, say, running a bunch of Romex out of a window to power your garden shed (which I've seen. Do not recommend). JB clearly has the knowledge to do that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

That ecotile stuff looks great and I highly appreciate their bombastic video on their site. I'm going to look at that when I get round to putting a proper utility room into the garage, some weird angles in there though so depends how easy to cut it actually is.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

You should get in on MowerChat, you used to have to call premium rate numbers after 11pm for that sort of thing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Invest in a PiHole and kill ads for your entire network.

This doesn't block YouTube ads unfortunately now that they embed them....or maybe because they host from the same domain so it's a big game of whack a mole with respect to URL blocks.

e: but you should get one anyway.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Did he actually have a back box cutting template (or whatever it's called you know what I mean) or did he just mash a bunch of holes into the wall with a drill and then hit it with a hammer?

E: I mean I know the answer here obviously.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

The apprentice did it with a chisel.

Huh sounds like the guy the previous owner of my house got to do the tiling. All the edges look like they were just smashed with a hammer instead of being cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

If it's 10mm ish you could slide a bit of ply or hardboard down the back to 1) give something to stick or tack the skirting on to to hold it and 2) something to caulk on top of.