Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Awesome, a horror house renovation (hopefully not too much horror? :ohdear:) based in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm insanely jealous of what you've done to that house. I live in a semi from 1911 and I recognise so many small things.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The lake of concrete is quite unsettling.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Building an upside down model of the house in a pit and topping it with glass like an old 3D engine doing reflective surfaces.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That is an impressive misunderstanding.

I've been filing as self employed for three years and I live in constant fear of messing it up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Its the one thread that I don't have to translate as I read. Mudding. Dywall. GFCI. :argh:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Veth posted:

What's the plumber referred to as, though? Drippies? Leakies?

Plumbers. What else would you call them? Weird.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I cannot believe how many ways that builder hosed you. It's like death from a thousand cuts. You're doing a great job though. :shobon:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Those things are becoming a weird standard, almost like euroboxes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
How often are you actually going to use 16a inside? I'd run one right next to the consumer unit and build a 16a extension rather than messing with your ring mains. I'm not a full 18th edition electrician but I do BS7909 stuff at work and none of this sounds great. :ohdear:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Glad you decided to go that route. Tapping off the cooker would have probably involved going into a small single breaker shed-style consumer unit to break at 16a anyway.

Three phase to residential in the UK is a massive, massive loving hassle almost 100% of the time and everyone you speak to will give a huge sigh before answering your enquiry. It's also impossible a lot of the time if you're on a new housing estate or in a very old street, bit like ancient phone lines and DSL speed.

Farms and rural areas have it easier and the friction is often reduced because someone else near you has already had it run in for a big welder or lathe in an outbuilding.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Excellent. Only remaining advice is if you're going to make up a 16a cable get the PCE plugs/sockets from CPC because they're lovely to work with rather than random cheap ones that involve a long screwdriver in past the contacts.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
:ssh: it's outsider art now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I doubt it'll help but it isn't just you. I know several people having extensions / garden work done and they're all weeks or months behind with huge back order times on materials and all the contractors being insanely busy. Some kind of COVID home improvement madness coupled with supply chain issues.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh also, it's 2021 on a CPU 4x as powerful as my 2002 gaming PC, why does it lag horribly when I drag the viewport on a 2D vector program?

I bet this'll come down to Inkscape using GL to accelerate things and MacOS being MacOS. Good luck. :haw:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Based on discussions it looks like it comes down to them *not* using acceleration and also using GTK3. I'm not qualified to weigh in on the perf stuff so I'm going to see if I can improve the interface and tool behaviour.

:whitewater: Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Bones embedded in the concrete? :staredog: