Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I guess the question is whether we want you to suffer or not. There are a few combinations I've wanted to try for a while but never have:

Ogre Reaver: Sure, some races can dual wield swords and daggers, but no other races can dual wield a Trident and a Whip! You are Balrog M. Bison, a perfectly normal Ogre who has lived on Maj'Eyal your whole life, and not a chronomancy-induced illegal immigrant. You can float points into weapon mastery but long term should use tridents and whips! Sure, the only good ones are tier 5 but you might get lucky!

Velius fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Character option #2: Yeek Brawler. Not that awful a build idea, between the Yeek speed bonus and the brawlers damage reduction it's less squishy than most Yeeks. The gimmick here is size: You should try and become as big as you can, preferably +3 size categories, so you can power slam Dragons as a gigantic Hobbit.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Paradox Mages are really good right now. They're potentially extremely fast, have a ton of ways to reduce or avoid damage, and have access to a number of good spell categories. They don't really have any weaknesses. So they're a good choice to explain the game, but because they're a spell casting class they can largely ignore the melee mechanics entirely.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
There's a very good reason to not use forgery of haze: the best necromancer spell for damage is chill of the grave, a huge area of effect cold damage spell. It is extremely easy to kill yourself the AOE is so huge. Your forgery will similarly kill you with it I believe.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

vdate posted:

It's weird because I remember winning before with both a paradox mage and a brawler, and their fights weren't nearly the horrifying difficulty spikes the final bosses have been in my last few attempts. Did they get buffed or something? (and this was on Normal, even; I don't want to think about what they'd be like on Insane)

The standard campaign final bosses are typically a corruptor/reaver and archmage. Even on insane the two seem to usually have skills from those sets of talents. Because spells tend to drop off in power at high talent levels you'll usually have an easier time vs them then, say, a shadow blade high peak stairboss. There are exceptions though. Just generally focus on disabling Elendar so he doesn't one shot you with a mana thrust critical (aether resistance tends to be the lowest for most people).

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

Tricky Defenses is pretty great on Normal and Nightmare, at least, and I got some decent mileage out of it with my Oozemancer on Insane, too. I ended up with ~200+ reduction to all non-physical, non-mind attacks from my Antimagic Shield, which translated into a lot less hurting happening. Even with Insane stuff happening, I was literally ignoring a lot of attacks like they just didn't exist. People usually warn me off Vital Shot, but last time I ran an Archer, it was pretty MVP, allowing me to one-shot-nuke a lot of enemies. Oddly enough, Meteoric Crash also comboed pretty well with that character for a pump of extra damage, plus, having it be physical/fire assisted in having a varied damage output(the only downside being that it would, yes, occasionally nuke my own oozes. I had so many of them I hardly noticed the difference, though).

To me, the big draw of Lucky Day is the +12% crit chance, because if you can get to the point where crits are essentially guaranteed, you're gonna be getting close to doubling your damage/healing output(from healing talents, anyway, not infusions and activateable items, obviously).

On Insane most of my characters have between 75% and 100% critical rate by endgame, it's a really marginal ability. Steamroller is a little special in that the +100% all damage modifier it gives might be the strongest in the game outside of Garry's revenge. While it's tough to keep it rolling against uniques and bosses you can absolutely tear through rates since their HP usually tops around 1000-1500. Bouncing around with a steamroller marauder was among my most fun endgames.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Why did you kill the Oozemancer, you monster! The Sludgenest is awesome. The slimes start easy, but the more get generated the higher level they become, and rares, uniques, and bosses start appearing in ever increasing amounts. Its the best place in the game by far to farm equipment if you can avoid being slaughtered. If you kill the Oozemancer they stop spawning though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Artificer posted:

I thought saves were considered least important as far as equipment and defensive prioritization?

Depends on the difficulty. On nightmare and beyond enemy attributes scale faster than your saves. It's very difficult to get saves high enough to ignore enemy effects. It's generally easier to get the key immunities for your class and focus on hp and damage.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

FillInTheBlank posted:

Oh gee thanks for the tip about the Backup Guardians and the Wyrm Bile.

:(

Yikes! That's a roll that's biased high, but it's like -3 to +6 so you can still get screwed over if unlucky.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Foreskin Problems posted:

I found Sawrd and I don't see what's so special about it?

Every attack hits four times, not once. So Flash of the Blade, a Sun Paladin ability that hits every enemy in like a two tile radius, hits them all four times instead. Windblade, which has a similar range but does like 350% weapon damage? Same thing, but 4x350% hits to all enemies in a three tile radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Tallgeese posted:

The very next line also says:

Multiple attacks procs power reduction: -67%. Meaning that the three repeated actions occur at 1/3rd power.

Of course, this begs the question of if that power reduction affects any procs from the repeated actions.

I was assuming that meant procs as in the various +damage on hit abilities, not actual multiple attacks from abilities. I've never actually used Sawrd so I don't know which it is. Which reminds me that I'm not sure about the similar description of Ogre off-hand reductions either.

• Locked thread