Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Inadequately posted:

Skeleton

Skeletons are animated bones, undead creatures both strong and dexterous. They have access to special skeleton talents and a wide range of undead abilities.

Stat Modifiers: +3 Strength, +4 Dex
Life Rating: 12 HP/lvl
EXP penalty: 40%
Special: 100% Poison Resistance, 100% Bleed and Fear Resistance, no need to breathe

Generally considered the better of the two undead races, pretty much by default. Skeleton racials give them a Strength/Dex boost, a very powerful damage shield that scales with Dex, a passive debuff reduction ability, and a healing skill that gives you an additional life should you max it out. Skeletons do well as any strength/dex based class – essentially, practically any melee or ranged class. Their high EXP penalty means that they take a while to get going compared to other races, though this is less noticeable on higher difficulties.

I realize everyone has moved on, but this is important. Why is this skeleton wearing pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I tried the game and it was... kinda boring? With how the skills/cooldowns work, and the staggering array of item modifiers, it felt kind of like Diablo 3 played through a kinetoscope. It's not badly done by any means, and is a real accomplishment by the author, but it feels like these ARPG tropes bolted onto a turn-based game make it a bit less exciting. And I'm not an RL hater; played Nethack, Angband, Moria640, DCSS, Omega, Incursion, etc etc. I'm actually really glad the LP exists so I can see all the goodies without having to trudge through the game itself.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think part of my boredom also came from whenever I unlocked a new class, I'd stop what I was doing and go and make a new guy to check it out, so I've done the early game like 6 times now. Where I've stopped, and probably will give up, is on level 9 of a later dungeon where an annoying unique spawned who has the ability to vomit all over the ground and while he's touching the vomit he heals himself every turn about 120% more than the damage I can do in a turn, even with my special powered up melee attacks. It's a bulwark character so I'm too chufty for him to kill me, but I can't out-damage his healing either, which led to like a 20 minute stalemate before I just gave up and saved out, which was annoying.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I didn't want to name names and places because of *SPOILERS* but I guess you guys ruined that ;)

I've been putting that place off, but it's kinda the last place to go. The only other dungeon on the continent I haven't been in is the one with the 33 level cap (normal mode). I opened all the vaults I came across there no problem, everything usually goes down to one LVL5 Assault followed up by a LVL5 Shield Bash.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

^^^ update above.

I know you guys were breathless waiting to see how it turned out, but I killed that vomiting guy by equipping +speed gear and simply outrunning him. Every time he threw up I'd step back so he would follow and wasn't in the healing range and eventually chipped him down. Took another 20 minutes of essentially column dancing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not an expert, and they're my only win, but they do seem a nice safe way to get into the game. The defense keeps you alive in the early game while you figure out how to use counter strike and assault. They get boring though, with later fights just being relatively low damage bump fests. They also run into damage walls hard, especially against healing enemies, where they just can't output enough damage to get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I found that Tarrasca armour on my Bulwark - Normal - Adventurer I was talking about earlier in this thread. Ended up beating the game with him and never replacing that armour.

• Locked thread