Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAO2urG23S4

Hollow knight is a metroidvania that came out of nowhere, it has airtight controls and platforming, challenging gameplay, and a beautiful aesthetic and soundtrack. as a big fan of these kinds of games, im only a couple of power-ups and bosses in and I can already tell this stands up there with Ori in terms of quality and level design, and I feel in many ways that it's the better game despite ori being one of my GOTYs.

it's on sale right now for 10 bucks on steam and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to scratch the metroid itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

i heard it's coming to switch soon with the dlc included for free so i'll definitely be getting it there

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I really wanna play it and it's currently in my steam cart but I'm kinda holding out for the Switch version which will apparently have the new DLC included for free.

I'll probably crack and buy it before next week though. Looks really great.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am going to buy this game. I've heard nothing but good things about it and $10 sounds like a steal

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Gog has it for ten bux pls don't give gaben more money

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Gog has it for ten bux pls don't give gaben more money

no one cares

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Soral posted:

i heard it's coming to switch soon with the dlc included for free so i'll definitely be getting it there

I'm not sure about the remaining dlc, but they already announced that the first pack is free for pc as well

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bought 500 copies of this game for all my co workers on Steam so that Gabe Newell, or rather, Lord Gabe Newell lol, makes a lot of money. I love to support Lord Gabe Newell. He's godlike.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've been binging on this the last couple of days and the best way I can describe it is La-Mulana with better air control and without the need to keep a notebook in your lap.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i bought it on steam to give famously fat rich man gaben money. also i heard it's coming to switch soon with the dlc included for free so i'll definitely be getting it there

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

i bought it on steam to give famously fat rich man gaben money. also i heard it's coming to switch soon with the dlc included for free so i'll definitely be getting it there

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's like X Files meets the Sandlot (1993 Film).

-- Actually quote regarding both Stranger Things and Hollow Knight, Larry "The Retarded 2 foot tall gay guy" Parish, 2017

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

no one cares

Apparently you do

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Apparently you do

Shut up dumb rear end

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the charms are a really neat idea for a game like this. theyre little perks like making the dash faster or bouncing less when you get hit and it adds a lot of variety to the usual health/resource expansions in these games

also i reached a boss that made me extremely pissed and i had to take a break lol every new environment ive stumbled into is such a huge visual treat

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just started it last night and it's already winning me over with the art style and gameplay. totally worth the $10 so far.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the art style's promising and the level design seems interesting. from the trailer the combat appears to be a little lackluster. still considering picking it up

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the combat reminds me a lot of shovel knight, where you just have a pretty simple amount of actions (and eventually some projectiles) but the amount of enemy types is pretty vast. it just feels really good and even early on in the game there are enemies that push how you space and time your swings to the limit. also you can down-swing bounce off things, but unlike shovelknight you need to time that swing on each bounce and its really satisfying to string a big combo with it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Wormskull posted:

Bought 500 copies of this game for all my co workers on Steam so that Gabe Newell, or rather, Lord Gabe Newell lol, makes a lot of money. I love to support Lord Gabe Newell. He's godlike.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The art style is garbage

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Does this (and Ori, for that matter) have any sections you can't go back to to collect things after going through it the first time? I hate that in games like this.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

The art style is garbage

:jihad:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Whoops i mean Cant wait to play this newgrounds game too and gigglesquee at the cute cartoon style

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

The art style is garbage

what lol

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Does this (and Ori, for that matter) have any sections you can't go back to to collect things after going through it the first time? I hate that in games like this.

ori had a no-going-back final zone but you're explicitly warned about it, and they got rid of this in the definitive ed. hollow knight doesnt have anything like that

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Not a fan of the deviantart aesthetic

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Whoops i mean Cant wait to play this newgrounds game too and gigglesquee at the cute cartoon style

Newgrounds kicks rear end, fucker.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

extremebuff posted:

what lol

ori had a no-going-back final zone but you're explicitly warned about it, and they got rid of this in the definitive ed. hollow knight doesnt have anything like that

Sick

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i'm not the biggest fan of the art style either but i don't think its bad and i haven't played a good metroidvania in years so i'm about to buy it off steam right now.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

Not a fan of the deviantart aesthetic

i thought this initially when i saw gameplay here and there but the moment i booted it up and started slicing up grass and little bug statues it all really clicked. it's like if binding of isaac's style had class and talent (so nothing like isaac) and beautiful lighting. give it a chance

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Games made by Newgrounds people:
Castle Crashers
Super Meat Boy
Binding of Isaac
Battleblock Theater

Games NOT made by Newgrounds people:
Assassin's Creed III
Borderlands 2
Mighty No. 9
Mass Effect: Andromeda

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

extremebuff posted:

it's like if binding of isaac's style had class and talent (so nothing like isaac) and beautiful lighting. give it a chance

that's basically what all vector art is, lol. anyways yeah sign me up for the "really like this game's art style" team

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

thers at least one dungeon you cant go back to in ori too but theres no collectibles in it tht arent story-mandatory

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Games made by Newgrounds people:
Castle Crashers
Super Meat Boy
Binding of Isaac
Battleblock Theater

Games NOT made by Newgrounds people:
Assassin's Creed III
Borderlands 2
Mighty No. 9
Mass Effect: Andromeda

ah yes, beloved classic, battleblock theater

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
shallow knight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Can I have a copy?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

This game is really cool and the art style grew on me almost instantly... Just got my first movement upgrade and I'm starting to feel the 'vania anxiety of ah poo poo there were so many places I couldn't go before that I can go to now and what if I can't find them all again

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

extremebuff posted:

i havent played yet but i heard that there are NPC quests w different permanent outcomes Dark Souls style where if you leave them for too late u can miss out ... is that true, do you know?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

goferchan posted:

i havent played yet but i heard that there are NPC quests w different permanent outcomes Dark Souls style where if you leave them for too late u can miss out ... is that true, do you know?

I don't mind that kind of thing nearly as much. I'm up for replaying a full game to do new/different questlines, but not to get energy upgrade #37/50 because I missed it the first time.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

goferchan posted:

There's a couple but it only affects achievements and dialogue not any upgrade availability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You have ran afoul of the chibi.

• Locked thread