Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

discount cathouse posted:

ah yes, beloved classic, battleblock theater

i played it with my girlfriend on the weekend and it was a fun couple gaming night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

discount cathouse posted:

ah yes, beloved classic, battleblock theater

It's fun... shove off.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's fun... shove off.

agreed all behemoths games are cool including pit people

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HORMELCHILI posted:

agreed all behemoths games are cool including pit people

alright big guy what's your idea of a """good game"""

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Japex posted:

alright big guy what's your idea of a """good game"""

Your use of gay scare quotes makes me want to spin kick your head off.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Your use of gay as a pejorative makes me want to have you strung up to a warehouse celing and shot with five thousand machine guns. gently caress off you tiny little stoner retard.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

Your use of gay as a pejorative makes me want to have you strung up to a warehouse celing and shot with five thousand machine guns. gently caress off you tiny little stoner retard.

You used the word homo as a pejorative in the last caremad post you made towards me. Those who live in glass houses and all that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is really embarrassing please take the slap fight elsewhere i just wanna admire this game here thanks

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This forum is my oyster. Close the thread on me bitch. I dare you.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I love the game. The upgrades have all been sick so far & I have completely fallen in love with the art style at this point.. I even care about the story which I did not expect to do. Looking forward to playing more once I get over losing 1700 geo after dying seconds before killing my ghost and getting them back

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I can't remember the last time i played so much and so hard I could feel it in my hands. But now I'm sitting at 100% completion and all that's left to do is beat the final boss. It's a solid loving game and I'm looking forward to the content pack coming out next month.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the deep nest is incredibly unsettling with headsets on lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

this game is really good, thanks for this thread

I'm curious though, what in particular makes you think it is better game than ori? bought that too but will get to it after beating this game

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

The art style is garbage

i don't like it either

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

this game is really good, thanks for this thread

I'm curious though, what in particular makes you think it is better game than ori? bought that too but will get to it after beating this game

idk a couple things. the combat is a big improvement, ori basically disposed of it by having you autoaim for anything nearby because it had a heavy focus on really demanding platforming, this has a lot of hardcore execution segments and the enemy design and placement itself can also result in some terrifying situations. spoiler there are even optional super bosses that push your dodge and counter game to the extremes

ori had little in the way of optional content. you could backtrack or stray off the path to find some health upgrades but you were otherwise being lead around very carefully by the level design. this game doesnt even give you an objective. if youre a metroid fan youll recognize what your Big Goal is but its not flat out told to you and marked on your map until you hit a zone several hours into the game, youre allowed to just freely explore the world and make your own adventure out of it, but its also not confusing or overwhelming.

basically ori played like a really well crafted metroid fusion where youre pretty much on the main path or not making much progress, this game is super metroid with the extremely challenging tight platforming from ori and deceptively simple combat from shovel knight. i think its incredible and im gonna end up replaying it a lot

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I recognize what the Big Goal is and I also just saw the cutscene that told me explicitly what it was. But I knew before that

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

There is absolutely so much poo poo everywhere and I can think of at least like 3 different places spread across every area I've visited so far where I can use the new movement upgrade I just got. And also now that I think about it there's like 10 places where I can use the ability I got before this one, that I haven't explored yet. I need to start writing some of this down :sweatdrop:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

think ive got every movement upgrade and the game is absolutely packed with super challenges hidden behind double-jump checks and such in earlier areas

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i cant stop playing this lol. if anyone doesnt play this cause theyre hungup on the art style i pity them

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

The art style is deceptive if you just go off screen shots and the steam page.. The game is loving beautiful and incredibly charming and if u think it's too monochromatic then guess what bud -- poo poo gets mad bright and vivid in some areas & (90% of) the Zones I've explored so far have been visually interesting in there own unique way. I love it.. Maybe it premature to say but This game might be up there with Super Metroid and the like. maybe. if not it's just like a tick or so below them. It f*ckin rules ya'll

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

It's like X Files meets the Sandlot (1993 Film).

-- Actually quote regarding both Stranger Things and Hollow Knight, Larry "The Retarded 2 foot tall gay guy" Parish, 2017

Ah, Ill have to buy this then

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres a lot of detail and love poured into this game..ran into a combat arena thing and they could've easily just spawned in waves of existing enemies with increasing numbers/difficulty but it has several unique gladiator monsters and unique variants of critters that are bigger and wear helms and poo poo, new mini-bosses, the arena dynamically adds in walls and spikes and stuff for a section where you have to fight a bunch of flying enemies without touching the ground, or a low ceiling so that you can't jump to dodge etc. it was full of surprises.

i found every grub and did the stuff to get the 'true' ending, but theres still one optional boss left and idk if i'll ever beat soul tyrant. after 100 tries with every upgrade i finally killed him and then there's a second phase that's even more insane :(

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

extremebuff posted:

theres a lot of detail and love poured into this game..ran into a combat arena thing and they could've easily just spawned in waves of existing enemies with increasing numbers/difficulty but it has several unique gladiator monsters and unique variants of critters that are bigger and wear helms and poo poo, new mini-bosses, the arena dynamically adds in walls and spikes and stuff for a section where you have to fight a bunch of flying enemies without touching the ground, or a low ceiling so that you can't jump to dodge etc. it was full of surprises.

i found every grub and did the stuff to get the 'true' ending, but theres still one optional boss left and idk if i'll ever beat soul tyrant. after 100 tries with every upgrade i finally killed him and then there's a second phase that's even more insane :(

re: optional boss You pretty much gotta have a spell centric charm set if you want to get anywhere and you gotta use the up+b spell since it deals something ridiculous like 16x nail damage if you get his whole hitbox. If you pretty much focus on dodging and just nail him with a spell every time he does the whole 'rotating orb' attack he goes down pretty easily. I still had a lot of trouble with him because you gotta sporadically attack to keep your soul charge going but so long as you don't try to damage race him like you can with other bosses, you should come out fine.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

re: optional boss You pretty much gotta have a spell centric charm set if you want to get anywhere and you gotta use the up+b spell since it deals something ridiculous like 16x nail damage if you get his whole hitbox. If you pretty much focus on dodging and just nail him with a spell every time he does the whole 'rotating orb' attack he goes down pretty easily. I still had a lot of trouble with him because you gotta sporadically attack to keep your soul charge going but so long as you don't try to damage race him like you can with other bosses, you should come out fine.

yeah i think i need a new mindset for it and a new set of charms, thanks for the tips. there probably won't be an actual reward besides a cheevo but im honor bound to kill this thing

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
[said whilst drinking my peach bellini smirnoff ice] The art style is deceptive if you just go off screen shots and the steam page.. The game is loving beautiful and incredibly charming and if u think it's too monochromatic then guess what bud -- poo poo gets mad bright and vivid in some areas & (90% of) the Zones I've explored so far have been visually interesting in there own unique way. I love it.. Maybe it premature to say but This game might be up there with Super Metroid and the like. maybe. if not it's just like a tick or so below them. It f*ckin rules ya'll

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my lovely old computer can't run this smoothly, which makes platforming a chore. another game for the list once i build a computer that doesn't suck.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buy a switch

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
This game is a triumph. I'm making a note here: huge success.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Liquid Drink posted:

[img]C:\Pictures\portalwithsrirachaandthesqueeashellhollowknightcharacter.jpg[/img]

E: wtf

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Liquid Drink posted:

You haven't even played it

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

rediscover posted:

The art style is deceptive if you just go off screen shots and the steam page..

I will say that put me off initially like it was covered in a layer of grease or something but I'll get it for Switch later.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the final boss owned me for an hour+ and i decided to look up a speedrun for the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlhIzkmTcSc

this probably wont end up being the best time but he played on steel mode (permadeath) and made heavy use of the rage charm which gives a damage boost at 1hp. also goes through the deep nest completely blind like this lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
question:
i know they are very different games, but I've wanted REmake forever and this game is being raved about everywhere, but im a stingy miserly argentinian loser.
For 10 bucks, which seems like it will deliver more quality content? I love metroidvanias, and havent really played survival horror, but i've super curious about REmake since the gamecube days.

please help

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if you already know you love metroid games, this is a drat good one and a safe bet.

the old RE games are slow, creeping games with a strong emphasis on puzzle solving, memorization/writing down things (ie remembering where the ____ Lock is when you find the ____ key), exploration and inventory management. theyre all time classics but theyre also not everyone's thing

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

REmake is a perfect game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also beat failed champion. all thats left is the final boss and hes proving to be even harder than all the other optional bosses, but im glad of it considering what you had to do to reach it lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i didnt know this, but you can equip more charms than you have charm slots if you just keep trying to put the extra charm on. you'll take double damage, so you could do a run where you just find some of the junk charms for a self-imposed hard mode, thats neat

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

question:
i know they are very different games, but I've wanted REmake forever and this game is being raved about everywhere, but im a stingy miserly argentinian loser.
For 10 bucks, which seems like it will deliver more quality content? I love metroidvanias, and havent really played survival horror, but i've super curious about REmake since the gamecube days.

please help

you should buy remake instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

my lovely old computer can't run this smoothly, which makes platforming a chore. another game for the list once i build a computer that doesn't suck.

try turning off vsync if you haven't, mine runs almost perfectly now

• Locked thread