Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAO2urG23S4

Hollow knight is a metroidvania that came out of nowhere, it has airtight controls and platforming, challenging gameplay, and a beautiful aesthetic and soundtrack. as a big fan of these kinds of games, im only a couple of power-ups and bosses in and I can already tell this stands up there with Ori in terms of quality and level design, and I feel in many ways that it's the better game despite ori being one of my GOTYs.

it's on sale right now for 10 bucks on steam and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to scratch the metroid itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Gog has it for ten bux pls don't give gaben more money

no one cares

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the charms are a really neat idea for a game like this. theyre little perks like making the dash faster or bouncing less when you get hit and it adds a lot of variety to the usual health/resource expansions in these games

also i reached a boss that made me extremely pissed and i had to take a break lol every new environment ive stumbled into is such a huge visual treat

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the combat reminds me a lot of shovel knight, where you just have a pretty simple amount of actions (and eventually some projectiles) but the amount of enemy types is pretty vast. it just feels really good and even early on in the game there are enemies that push how you space and time your swings to the limit. also you can down-swing bounce off things, but unlike shovelknight you need to time that swing on each bounce and its really satisfying to string a big combo with it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

The art style is garbage

what lol

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Does this (and Ori, for that matter) have any sections you can't go back to to collect things after going through it the first time? I hate that in games like this.

ori had a no-going-back final zone but you're explicitly warned about it, and they got rid of this in the definitive ed. hollow knight doesnt have anything like that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

Not a fan of the deviantart aesthetic

i thought this initially when i saw gameplay here and there but the moment i booted it up and started slicing up grass and little bug statues it all really clicked. it's like if binding of isaac's style had class and talent (so nothing like isaac) and beautiful lighting. give it a chance

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is really embarrassing please take the slap fight elsewhere i just wanna admire this game here thanks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the deep nest is incredibly unsettling with headsets on lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

this game is really good, thanks for this thread

I'm curious though, what in particular makes you think it is better game than ori? bought that too but will get to it after beating this game

idk a couple things. the combat is a big improvement, ori basically disposed of it by having you autoaim for anything nearby because it had a heavy focus on really demanding platforming, this has a lot of hardcore execution segments and the enemy design and placement itself can also result in some terrifying situations. spoiler there are even optional super bosses that push your dodge and counter game to the extremes

ori had little in the way of optional content. you could backtrack or stray off the path to find some health upgrades but you were otherwise being lead around very carefully by the level design. this game doesnt even give you an objective. if youre a metroid fan youll recognize what your Big Goal is but its not flat out told to you and marked on your map until you hit a zone several hours into the game, youre allowed to just freely explore the world and make your own adventure out of it, but its also not confusing or overwhelming.

basically ori played like a really well crafted metroid fusion where youre pretty much on the main path or not making much progress, this game is super metroid with the extremely challenging tight platforming from ori and deceptively simple combat from shovel knight. i think its incredible and im gonna end up replaying it a lot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

think ive got every movement upgrade and the game is absolutely packed with super challenges hidden behind double-jump checks and such in earlier areas

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i cant stop playing this lol. if anyone doesnt play this cause theyre hungup on the art style i pity them

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres a lot of detail and love poured into this game..ran into a combat arena thing and they could've easily just spawned in waves of existing enemies with increasing numbers/difficulty but it has several unique gladiator monsters and unique variants of critters that are bigger and wear helms and poo poo, new mini-bosses, the arena dynamically adds in walls and spikes and stuff for a section where you have to fight a bunch of flying enemies without touching the ground, or a low ceiling so that you can't jump to dodge etc. it was full of surprises.

i found every grub and did the stuff to get the 'true' ending, but theres still one optional boss left and idk if i'll ever beat soul tyrant. after 100 tries with every upgrade i finally killed him and then there's a second phase that's even more insane :(

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

re: optional boss You pretty much gotta have a spell centric charm set if you want to get anywhere and you gotta use the up+b spell since it deals something ridiculous like 16x nail damage if you get his whole hitbox. If you pretty much focus on dodging and just nail him with a spell every time he does the whole 'rotating orb' attack he goes down pretty easily. I still had a lot of trouble with him because you gotta sporadically attack to keep your soul charge going but so long as you don't try to damage race him like you can with other bosses, you should come out fine.

yeah i think i need a new mindset for it and a new set of charms, thanks for the tips. there probably won't be an actual reward besides a cheevo but im honor bound to kill this thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the final boss owned me for an hour+ and i decided to look up a speedrun for the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlhIzkmTcSc

this probably wont end up being the best time but he played on steel mode (permadeath) and made heavy use of the rage charm which gives a damage boost at 1hp. also goes through the deep nest completely blind like this lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if you already know you love metroid games, this is a drat good one and a safe bet.

the old RE games are slow, creeping games with a strong emphasis on puzzle solving, memorization/writing down things (ie remembering where the ____ Lock is when you find the ____ key), exploration and inventory management. theyre all time classics but theyre also not everyone's thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also beat failed champion. all thats left is the final boss and hes proving to be even harder than all the other optional bosses, but im glad of it considering what you had to do to reach it lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i didnt know this, but you can equip more charms than you have charm slots if you just keep trying to put the extra charm on. you'll take double damage, so you could do a run where you just find some of the junk charms for a self-imposed hard mode, thats neat

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

gently caress Lost Kin. i'm pretty sure it's an optional boss that im supposed to come back to later but my pride is telling me i have to kill him now and im like 30 tries deep and he's still kicking my rear end -.-

he is way easier if you wear the hero badge, the orange things just die instantly

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

finally beat the final boss and got 100%, really fantastic. idk about a deathless run but im definitely replaying this again soon just for the hell of it. this is the best non-nintendo metroidvania

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dont play hardcore mode drunk and waltz into endgame areas

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

how far did you get? I'm trying to tackle hardcore mode also and I just got wrecked at Watcher Knights, which I knew would be a hurdle but still died to

watcher knights. lmao. got killed while trying to heal like a bitch

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

watcher knights have now potentially killed my attempt at the speedrun cheevo..i figured if a pro speedrunner could do any% in sub 1hr, doing it sub 5 hours would be easy, how horribly wrong i was

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

beat steel soul mode AND made it in under 5 hours.

but can I get the 100% in under 20?

congrats! if youre gonna go all the way you should at least record the radiance fight

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cobweb Heart posted:

Albinoblacksheep character design + smeary clashing particles over every interaction + primary distinction between environments is the hue of the fake lighting = Ugly

the final boss is just a lanky version of the protagonist... the half-assed parasitism theme only ever used as an excuse to draw blobs instead of shapes... the camera blur, cargo culted into a game set underground... It's totally cool if you like graphics to look like that, but. Let's face it. they're BAAAAAAD hahaha

you loving suck idiot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gonna stream attempts at the speedrun cheevo for this cargocultclassic in like 15min

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

Cargo cult is a classic 2k14 term like human garbage . Respect.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You know what? Forget Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey, and Yakuza 0, Hollow Knight is my GOTY pick for 2017.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

idk about goty because there are things about the art style and 'story' i find questionable but this is the first game in ages that compelled me to replay it and speedrun it just for fun because i like the gameplay that much.

just thought id say that while everyone flames notable huge idiot Cobweb Heart

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

last boss i beat was Burrito Bison. such a great fight, such a great theme, such a great design

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there are like 4 major huge areas that are totally optional and can be skipped if you know what to gun for its really neat

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

christ didn't think it would be so hard to talk about this charming indie fusion of metroid and dark souls, but here I am, doing everything I can
Holding on to what I am
Pretending I'm a superman
I'm trying to keep, the ground on my feet
Seems the world is falling down around me
The night's are long, I'm singing this song
Trying to make the answer's more a maybe
And I'm so confused, about what to do
Sometimes I want to throw it all away
So here I am, growing older all the time,
Looking older all the time,
Feeling younger in my mind
So here I am, doing everything I can
Holding on to what I have
I'm trying to sleep,
I lost count of sheep,
My mind is racing faster every minute
What could I do more,
Yeah, I'm really not sure
I don't want to run in circles but I can't quit
And I'm so confused
I've got a lot to do
Sometimes I want to throw it all away
Controlling everything inside
Feeling weak I don't feel right
Telling me I have to change
Telling me to act my age
But if all that I can do
Is to sit and watch time go
Then I'll have to say goodbye
And I'll be sure to watch time fly, to watch it fly-hy-hy
So here I am,
Growing older all the time,
Looking older all the time,
Feeling younger in my mind
Here I am, doing everything I can
Holding on to what I am,

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i know its an IZ meme now but this game kept me sane when my net was out for 2 weeks and i probably have 100 hours in it now doing so many steel soul runs. it has not driven me to insanity xenoblade X style. its a really great metroidvania and speedrunning or doing challenge runs is really fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

i'm refusing to beat this game because i don't want it to be over.

also because i'm putting off doing Super Meat Boy Palace.

I wish that part was way longer lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

did a new run for the stuff they added recently, all i have left is Mighty Zote

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

everytime you kill one of the new bosses you can re-challenge them and they'll deal more and more damage each win, until they can oneshot you regardless of health lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

My big goal for a good four hours was trying to get the map for fog canyon and instead I accidentally started fighting the final boss

lmao. this game owns.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ori and the blind forest and guacamelee are both great games and i love em but they felt closer to metroid fusion than anything in terms of structure, this game actually nailed the feeling of getting lost in an extremely hostile alien world. id say its my goty but its been a strong year for gaming

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Its been a couple years since Ive gotten addicted to a game. I have a hard time even finishing games and I want to 100% this

ive done it like 4 times since launch friend lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

The bosses in his game are easily the best in any platforming game I've ever played. Maybe any game period. Where boss rush mode

i hope this gets added eventually

i also hope no one misses out on the best metroidvania in forever because of BBG

• Locked thread