Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
remember when Anonymous promised a huge release of KKK info that was going to expose prominent politicians and high level law enforcement but was really just a pastebin list of openly racist facebook nobodies and Ben Garrison?

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

rezatahs posted:

i feel like they may start us slow with bacterias even though we have been in contact with actual intelligent life for a while :greenangel:

Having you been to dc? No way they could keep something like that secret

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Already met mr boone on this forum and he was a cool dude. Aliens are cool no worries.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How will this effect my masturbatory habits that involve that girl from overwatch.

Asking for a friend.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Didn't we find bacteria already? Or remnants of bacteria? I can't remember it was so boring

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
at this point the only thing the anonymous moniker has been good for is trolling media outlets with stories that are too spicy to be false and has been for well over a decade, what the fuxk makes u think this is an exception

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Ever since I was a small boy I've wanted to have sex with an alien

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the asteroid belts dropping hot sticky plasma on disgusting miners. People say to me that a person being a destroyer is Impossible and I'm loving retarded but I don't care, I'm beautiful. I'm having a plastic surgeon install spinning radar, neutron blasters and warp scramblers on my body

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
I desperately want to make love to a school boy

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

SD87 posted:

I desperately want to make love to a school boy

:catstare:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Decebal posted:

Of course ! Cassini just flew through the water plumes coming from deep within Enceladus and found "organic molecules" . But you know they found more than that. Like a weird bacteria that entered the instruments and now they're just waiting for the right time to announce it

Cassini isn't equipped to test beyond that. It could scoop up a swarm of space bees, but it's only capable of testing them out as "organic molecules".

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

Cassini isn't equipped to test beyond that. It could scoop up a swarm of space bees, but it's only capable of testing them out as "organic molecules".

What space bees...

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Altair Knight posted:

What space bees...

It's nothing to worry about. Consume and reproduce as though nothing is wrong.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
dumb and dumber is great

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
wanna hear the most annoying sound in any world?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Having you been to dc? No way they could keep something like that secret

Why would anyone tell politicians about something important?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

An alien could come to earth, stick a probe up their rear end, and some people would still say 'See?! This is what the government conspiracy does to you when you don't believe their lies!' as the alien then turns them inside out.

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

I would like to thank President Trump for discovering alien life beyond our world.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Vynar posted:

I would like to thank President Trump for discovering alien life beyond our world.

time for a goddamn space wall for those lazy loving martians

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
When we find aliens it's not going to be related to the poo poo the UFO freaks talk about (astronauts or not), it's probably going to be "we propose a likely mechanism by which biological processes have resulted in the spectroscopic observations of this exoplanet's atmosphere".

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
For me there's only 2 possibilities for alien life.

1. A planet-sized single-cell organism envelops earth and digests it.

2. Humanoid aliens come to earth to sell their space weed to us.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

hosed up if trump gets his picture taken shaking hands with an alien he'll be etched into history for all time

Holy poo poo this would be the best thing to ever happen.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Ever since I was a small boy I've wanted to have sex with an alien

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Quagaars will give me a new body to replace this horrific holographic shell which houses my consciousness.

It's a garbage pod.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

time for a goddamn space wall for those lazy loving martians

i cant wait!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijvTiDnWJLE

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

fishing with the fam posted:

The first alien life is going be discovered a thousand years from now and just be a different kind of moss and its gonna be anticlimactic as gently caress. gently caress alien life.

I think we all know what's coming...

METEOR poo poo!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Prorat posted:

How will this effect my masturbatory habits that involve that girl from overwatch.

Asking for a friend.

Bastion is a girl?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Then if would e fair to charge the scientists who designed it with criminal negligence considering what a huge discovery they're missing. Maybe have them pay a % of the mission cost back to NASA since now we'll have to wait decades for another probe to get there

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Decebal posted:

Then if would e fair to charge the scientists who designed it with criminal negligence considering what a huge discovery they're missing. Maybe have them pay a % of the mission cost back to NASA since now we'll have to wait decades for another probe to get there

There really should be a penalty system for short shortsightedness on these things. Hell, even back on the Viking lander the test was all freaky. The cliff notes to that are that they'd decided "If the test for life gives result X it's a positive, and if it does Z it's a negative" and in the end it gave weird rear end results that didn't quite fit X or Z so the said "gently caress it, nevermind". And with all the poo poo they've chucked up there since they still haven't put much concerted effort into figuring out what the gently caress was going on back in 1976.

I mean I get that space is limited on these things, but come on.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Remember when anonymous actually did stuff and wasn't just a thin pretense of hacktivism for literally anyone to wear for any reason that they pleased?

good times.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Frankenstyle posted:

There really should be a penalty system for short shortsightedness on these things. Hell, even back on the Viking lander the test was all freaky. The cliff notes to that are that they'd decided "If the test for life gives result X it's a positive, and if it does Z it's a negative" and in the end it gave weird rear end results that didn't quite fit X or Z so the said "gently caress it, nevermind". And with all the poo poo they've chucked up there since they still haven't put much concerted effort into figuring out what the gently caress was going on back in 1976.

I mean I get that space is limited on these things, but come on.

I don't think you do get that, or how designing the things works in the first place. An instrument that can test for a huge variety of things to cover all the bases will not only be too bulky, but it just wouldn't get funded. There has to be a near guarantee on results (either positive or negative) for them to be approved, they won't let you put a space bee detector on because "maybe there will be some". First you'd have to observe some signature that at the very least suggests their existence, and then and only then can you start applying for funding to design your bee detector.

As for "not putting much concerted effort into it", they gladly would if people would vote more for politicians that actually want to increase NASA's funding.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't think you do get that, or how designing the things works in the first place. An instrument that can test for a huge variety of things to cover all the bases will not only be too bulky, but it just wouldn't get funded. There has to be a near guarantee on results (either positive or negative) for them to be approved, they won't let you put a space bee detector on because "maybe there will be some". First you'd have to observe some signature that at the very least suggests their existence, and then and only then can you start applying for funding to design your bee detector.

Yeh. That's why I pointed out the lack of direct follow up on a specific curiosity that reared it's head forty years ago.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeh. That's why I pointed out the lack of direct follow up on a specific curiosity that reared it's head forty years ago.

Valid projects get turned down all the time. I can't say for sure but I would be willing to bet it was applied for and other missions were given higher priority.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
"We found a possibility that maybe this environment on this planet about a bazillion light years away maybe has conditions that can support a bacteria to live. Invasion in 3 trillion years."

*raughs microscopically*

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

As for "not putting much concerted effort into it", they gladly would if people would vote more for politicians that actually want to increase NASA's funding.

Seems to me like "finding life" is only an afterthought at NASA or somewhere around 20% interest. Every time they launch something is to "test the rock composition that will tell us about the beginning of the Solar System" or " analyze the cloud structure on Saturn so we can send a cool picture of some gas"

It's never finding life. Sometimes they insert it, like an afterthought. "something something something that MAY also tell us if life could be possible" <------- a far cry from actually focusing on that.

I get it that science is vast and you have different specializations BUT if they want more funding how about you get the public excited with more that just spectroscopy raw data ?!

Europa is at least as interesting as Mars and we haven't sent 1(one) mission there !! We dropped poo poo on Titan an it's further away .

A bunch of jokers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decebal posted:

Seems to me like "finding life" is only an afterthought at NASA or somewhere around 20% interest. Every time they launch something is to "test the rock composition that will tell us about the beginning of the Solar System" or " analyze the cloud structure on Saturn so we can send a cool picture of some gas"

It's never finding life. Sometimes they insert it, like an afterthought. "something something something that MAY also tell us if life could be possible" <------- a far cry from actually focusing on that.

I get it that science is vast and you have different specializations BUT if they want more funding how about you get the public excited with more that just spectroscopy raw data ?!

Europa is at least as interesting as Mars and we haven't sent 1(one) mission there !! We dropped poo poo on Titan an it's further away .

A bunch of jokers

The problem with space is that it's boring.

In media space has aliens, lasers, mysteries left behind by the ancients... and everyone gets to cruise the galaxy with warp drive and artificial gravity. It's cool and exciting and a new adventure always awaits!

In real life space has nothing. No aliens, no lasers, no ancient mysteries... and you travel at glacial speeds while peeing in a bag and eating lovely food. It's tedious and lame and nothing is out there but new kinds of rock and radiation.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

In media space has aliens, lasers, mysteries left behind by the ancients... and everyone gets to cruise the galaxy with warp drive and artificial gravity. It's cool and exciting and a new adventure always awaits!

In real life space has nothing. No aliens, no lasers, no ancient mysteries... and you travel at glacial speeds while peeing in a bag and eating lovely food. It's tedious and lame and nothing is out there but new kinds of rock and radiation.

A millisecond pulsar is kind of cool :(

Decebal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 27, 2017

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
knowing the vastness of this universe and thinking all life in it resides on our rock is seriously so monumentally stupid you just have to laugh

ha!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

That's because we aren't looking properly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Decebal posted:

A bunch of jokers

That's a lot easier than removing 99.9999999% of earth bacteria from a spacecraft to avoid false positives.

• Locked thread