Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

itunes sucks, it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i travel a lot and use a vpn for everything, and apparently that sets apple's hax0r alarms off constantly. and if the reset process sucked any harder echi would have already posted about it in e/n

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yea itunes is awful. i wish there was a good alternative op

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
if someone made a good ui that just does the basic itunes stuff i bet people would pay money for it

good ui/ux is the trick to software

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

does "sync" still mean "erase everything"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
iTunes still works better on mac/ios vs windows to be sure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

RISCy Business posted:

i don't see the problem, itunes works just fine on my 15" 2015 MacBook Pro With Retina Display

no it doesnt, you're just used to everything in osx being slow as dirt.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

actually it's faster than light

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

how can you say that with a straight face

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
windows is loving notorious for being slow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
osx is the worst at everything.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows grants applications the potential to run quickly and its up to the developers to do it right. in osx, everything is gimped so nothing outshines the horrific baked in garbage like itunes.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i tried this first on my windows laptop but it was so dog poo poo slow that i have up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even trying to move the mouse in osx is terrible. its like you're dragging the cursor through molasses

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

windows grants applications the potential to run quickly and its up to the developers to do it right. in osx, everything is gimped so nothing outshines the horrific baked in garbage like itunes.

You are so full of poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

You are so full of poo poo

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

why do y'all bother getting shaggared? this is someone who unironically praised lotus loving notes

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Osx is probably the smoothest experience I've ever had with an OS, Windows still to this day has buggy feature in their software

Every so often I have to close Cortana so I can launch an app I haven't pinned yet cause the start menu is garbage now

I never remember having an issue with osx's search function where I have to force close something or issue some lovely console command

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger !!! :razz:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk how anyone could ever use safari unironically. its litterrally unusable and will just hang for seconds on every page you visit.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

idk how anyone could ever use safari unironically. its litterrally unusable and will just hang for seconds on every page you visit.

i wasn't talking about safari you massive tool

i bet iTunes is so garbage on Windows is because Apple actually had to compromise on key design decisions that would allow it run smoother because windows is just that bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Android migration tool works perfectly, OP. Moved all my stuff over in 5 mins and it all worked perfectly. Very simple. Perfect software and hardware without a single bug, OP. Try moving over to the best drat mobile OS around, yes, thats right - Android, and you'll have a better experience.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Smythe posted:

Android migration tool works perfectly, OP. Moved all my stuff over in 5 mins and it all worked perfectly. Very simple. Perfect software and hardware without a single bug, OP. Try moving over to the best drat mobile OS around, yes, thats right - Android, and you'll have a better experience.

you know ios is just becoming Android anyway maybe I will

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
OP would definitely feel more at home on android considering all the effort they're going through to avoid a $.99 charge.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

i wasn't talking about safari you massive tool

i bet iTunes is so garbage on Windows is because Apple actually had to compromise on key design decisions that would allow it run smoother because windows is just that bad

safari on osx is as fast as itunes on osx. both are unusable but you're so used to it in osx that you cant deal w/ it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the last time i used itunes was when i had a second gen ipod colour and i thought it was garbage because it didn't do ID3 tagging properly and it hosed allll my poo poo up. also when my brother got an ipod he managed to wipe it twice due to syncing an empty library so i had a good laff but it's dumb as hell that it lets that happen

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
quick update: just used itunes to listen to one of my favorite albums (animals by pink floyd)

verdict: it's good (both the album and itunes)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cheese-cube posted:

the last time i used itunes was when i had a second gen ipod colour and i thought it was garbage because it didn't do ID3 tagging properly and it hosed allll my poo poo up. also when my brother got an ipod he managed to wipe it twice due to syncing an empty library so i had a good laff but it's dumb as hell that it lets that happen

rockbox was unironically a better user experience

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use foobar 2000

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

OldAlias posted:

rockbox was unironically a better user experience

it sucks that it only works on ipods from 2005 and chinese crap that's probably from 2012 but already ancient by hardware development cycles

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fwiw the unstable port for ipod classic (the best ipod) works fine

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah iPod classic is still the best mp3 player ever made

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Doc Block posted:

hmm yes, instead of the backup thing that just automatically backs up all my stuff overnight

let me have to manually connect my phone to a computer, launch a program, mash the backup button, wait for it to sync, hit the eject button, then it's finally done

serious post don't you need to re-log in to all your Appz if you do this vs the iTunes backup? (i do the itunes backup because i do not want to sign in to Appz)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

i travel a lot and use a vpn for everything, and apparently that sets apple's hax0r alarms off constantly. and if the reset process sucked any harder echi would have already posted about it in e/n

lol this is my legacy isn't it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you may not be the hero we deserve, but you're the hero that we need right now

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

RISCy Business posted:

quick update: just used itunes to listen to one of my favorite albums (animals by pink floyd)

verdict: it's good (both the album and itunes)

actually wrong on both accounts

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

serious post don't you need to re-log in to all your Appz if you do this vs the iTunes backup? (i do the itunes backup because i do not want to sign in to Appz)

It Depends. honestly, I don't remember having to do that for any apps back in September when I got my iPhone 7 and restored my iPhone 6's last iCloud backup onto it. guess it just depends on how/where the app stores your password/login token/whatever. don't remember if the keychain gets backed up to iCloud or not.

in practice it's not that big of a deal and handily beats having to backup your phone in iTunes (which only backs up your passwords etc if you do an encrypted backup) and risking losing all your poo poo if you forget or get lazy and don't do it for a while and then lose/break your phone.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Granbar posted:

actually wrong on both accounts

gently caress yuo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
animals is good but i found i milked it dry quite quickly

division bell has some absolutely amazing moments and high hopes is so glorious

am on the fence and wondering if fletcher memorial home is the best floyd solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Doc Block posted:

It Depends. honestly, I don't remember having to do that for any apps back in September when I got my iPhone 7 and restored my iPhone 6's last iCloud backup onto it. guess it just depends on how/where the app stores your password/login token/whatever. don't remember if the keychain gets backed up to iCloud or not.

in practice it's not that big of a deal and handily beats having to backup your phone in iTunes (which only backs up your passwords etc if you do an encrypted backup) and risking losing all your poo poo if you forget or get lazy and don't do it for a while and then lose/break your phone.

i see.

i do icloud backups the normal way but just do new phone restore + OS upgrades (im that idiot doing betas) on my work mac that i'm at anyway, so nbd for me

• Locked thread