Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
trying to transfer a backup to an iPhone 7 and boy oh boy does iTunes suck

Hey timb instead of trying to figure out how to make the iPhone like an android how about you fix iTunes instead

Touch id behind the screen how about an iTunes backup and restore experience that doesn't give me a migraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

RISCy Business posted:

itunes is good

*very trump voice* WRONG!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Now my Apple id has been disabled

Despite not entering the password wrong once

Thanks timb

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

akadajet posted:

i haven't had to touch itunes in years.

op is fail

You haven't touched a woman in years either, coincidence???

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

why are you using itunes to back up your phone?

what is this, 2007?

What do you use

No really is there something else that I can use to transfer poo poo from my old phone to my new one cause god drat this iTunes poo poo sucks

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kirk posted:

lol just log into your apple id on the new device and start using it

I did

Everytime I do, timb bursts through my door, slaps the phone out of my hands and yells "ITS DISABLED"

timb

why

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

just loving sign in and choose the "restore from icloud backup" option

jfc

I can't cause my backup is bigger than five gigs and I don't care to buy a bigger account so I use my computer

Why should this be harder on a computer what the gently caress timb

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

just loving sign in and choose the "restore from icloud backup" option

jfc

http://appleid.apple.com to re-enable it and stop typing in the password wrong in the future

I did that! I can sign in and answer all the terrible security questions like what blood type is my cat, what was your dream job when you were five, are you a power bottom but it still loving comes up

i don't like you or your questions timb

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i don't even have a cat wtf timb!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

hmm yes, instead of the backup thing that just automatically backs up all my stuff overnight

let me have to manually connect my phone to a computer, launch a program, mash the backup button, wait for it to sync, hit the eject button, then it's finally done

did you try googling the exact error message it gives you? i mean :cmon: :drat:

I did, all I get are a list of timbs favorite sex positions and directions to his house

that's not gonna fix my phone timb!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

geonetix posted:

i'll have you know that itunes is actually pretty good, stop auto-synching and backupping and buy a proper mac

i'm doing this on a Mac!!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
now I'm on the phone with timb but he won't tell me how to fix it he just keeps playing dubstep music and breathes heavily into the phone

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

doc block please stop sending me links to sex toys I'm not interested

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

i just want you to have a great anal experience

well thank you but right now i need to fix my phone

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

geonetix posted:

what's the worst that could happen

well it could fail to fix my phone and then I'm really up poo poo creek!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
timb is still on the line but now the music has stopped and I hear a lot of loud rapid squishing noises???

does this mean my phone is getting fixed?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

no it doesnt, you're just used to everything in osx being slow as dirt.

how can you say that with a straight face

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
windows is loving notorious for being slow

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i tried this first on my windows laptop but it was so dog poo poo slow that i have up

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

windows grants applications the potential to run quickly and its up to the developers to do it right. in osx, everything is gimped so nothing outshines the horrific baked in garbage like itunes.

You are so full of poo poo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Osx is probably the smoothest experience I've ever had with an OS, Windows still to this day has buggy feature in their software

Every so often I have to close Cortana so I can launch an app I haven't pinned yet cause the start menu is garbage now

I never remember having an issue with osx's search function where I have to force close something or issue some lovely console command

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

idk how anyone could ever use safari unironically. its litterrally unusable and will just hang for seconds on every page you visit.

i wasn't talking about safari you massive tool

i bet iTunes is so garbage on Windows is because Apple actually had to compromise on key design decisions that would allow it run smoother because windows is just that bad

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Smythe posted:

Android migration tool works perfectly, OP. Moved all my stuff over in 5 mins and it all worked perfectly. Very simple. Perfect software and hardware without a single bug, OP. Try moving over to the best drat mobile OS around, yes, thats right - Android, and you'll have a better experience.

you know ios is just becoming Android anyway maybe I will

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Last Chance posted:

no, icloud backups store all userdata/logins/whatever AND restores redownload apps for you automatically. last i checked itunes backup restores don't redownload apps for you.

icloud backups have been superior for years now. although im not sure what happens to the health data in icloud backups

Well too bad my phone backup is larger than 5gb and I don't want to pay for a monthly service just to backup my phone

I guess the backups over Wi-Fi aren't bad though, I checked when iTunes last backed up my phone and apparently it was last night at some point so I guess it does backup automatically?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

how is your phone backup over 5 gb? if it's photos, you can just not have it back those up. my phone backup is 3.1 gb

Idk I just kept getting icloud alerts on my phone and I just shut it off

Maybe I'll janitor it a bit this afternoon and found out what the cause of that was

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

eric posted:

It's 99 cents a month for 50gb of backup storage you cheap skate

Perplx posted:

i have several TB that cost $0 a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Oh nevermind I can't turn on icloud backup again cause if I do it stops backing up to iTunes

for some reason

• Locked thread