Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Doc Block posted:

hmm yes, instead of the backup thing that just automatically backs up all my stuff overnight

let me have to manually connect my phone to a computer, launch a program, mash the backup button, wait for it to sync, hit the eject button, then it's finally done

serious post don't you need to re-log in to all your Appz if you do this vs the iTunes backup? (i do the itunes backup because i do not want to sign in to Appz)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Doc Block posted:

It Depends. honestly, I don't remember having to do that for any apps back in September when I got my iPhone 7 and restored my iPhone 6's last iCloud backup onto it. guess it just depends on how/where the app stores your password/login token/whatever. don't remember if the keychain gets backed up to iCloud or not.

in practice it's not that big of a deal and handily beats having to backup your phone in iTunes (which only backs up your passwords etc if you do an encrypted backup) and risking losing all your poo poo if you forget or get lazy and don't do it for a while and then lose/break your phone.

i see.

i do icloud backups the normal way but just do new phone restore + OS upgrades (im that idiot doing betas) on my work mac that i'm at anyway, so nbd for me

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

oh yeah that is true

still, more backups is never bad vOv

• Locked thread