Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I was talking to a friend about this the other day

For me, I have this fond memory of a single terrible movie called Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace though I remember it from the other subtitle "Jobe's War". It is rated 2.4/10 on IMDB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bRH_dVye7A

I got a copy of this VHS tape from my older brother (8 years older) who worked at Blockbuster and then quit without returning this video. I was 11 years old and have never seen the first Lawnmower Man movie. I thought this movie was amazing in every single way that I watched it multiple times and watched it with friends. I have no idea why I loved it as I sure as hell don't remember why.

Do any of you have similar memories of liking poo poo movies due to your simple yet growing brain as a young child?

I'm thinking of getting a copy of this movie and reporting what I think of it with this 20 year gap of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I watched A Knight's Tale a lot, mostly because it was the only medieval movie we owned and I loved that stuff. It's not really a terrible movie, just a corny and aggressively mediocre one. The result though was I was a Heath Ledger fan before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
I really liked Howard the Duck when I was a kid. I still like it, but for nostalgic reasons. Same goes for the Mario Bros. movie.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
for some reason we owned a dvd copy of austin powers: goldmember and my sister who was like, 8 was obsessed with it and watched it over and over again. my mom used to heavily police the media we consumed based on other people's hand-wringing but she kind of swung the other direction when she realized it was a futile effort and other people's hand wringing had prevented all of us from seeing actually good + cool things so she completely did not give a poo poo by the time this had happened.

we hadn't seen the other two austin powers but boy do i know that movie, scene for scene, line by line. there are a few good jokes but the entire thing is just aggressively mediocre but i guess the joke hadn't worn thin by the third movie since we had only seen that one

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Travolta's best film role since Look Who's Talking.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

ProfessorMurder posted:

Same goes for the Mario Bros. movie.
As a kid I loved this movie. I would never admit that outside this forum.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
bong and a blintz?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
crepe and a cigarette?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
pipe and a pancake.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
space jam

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jabberlock posted:

I watched A Knight's Tale a lot, mostly because it was the only medieval movie we owned and I loved that stuff. It's not really a terrible movie, just a corny and aggressively mediocre one. The result though was I was a Heath Ledger fan before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

same

King Diamond
Dec 26, 2005
The Park Is Mine with Tommy Lee Jones was on TV once and I found it so unbelievably badass that I daydreamed about it for months afterwards. Haven't had the courage to watch it since, I'm sure it's poo poo.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF9tgeo1HuA

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

I was talking to a friend about this the other day

For me, I have this fond memory of a single terrible movie called Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace though I remember it from the other subtitle "Jobe's War". It is rated 2.4/10 on IMDB.
i saw the first lawn mower man and it was def. worse than this

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Do any of you have similar memories of liking poo poo movies due to your simple yet growing brain as a young child?

Spaceballs! really does not hold up well.

It's painful to watch now

Night Pay
Nov 22, 2016

by Smythe
The Mighty Ducks sequel. It'd be way too cringey to watch that now, even ironically.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Young me loved every god damned scene.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Neverending Story.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

spog posted:

Hmmm, it's been a few years since I've seen it, but I might have to disagree on this one.

Escape Addict posted:

Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Young me loved every god damned scene.

This one, though is spot on. Loved the MK movies as a kid. Not so much now.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Blade Runner

Thought it was so cool but it was bad

Die Hard 2. Generic trash

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pretty much every nic cage movie. I still like his movies :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty much every nic cage movie. I still like his movies :shrug:

Zandelee is probably the best movie for children to watch.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

spog posted:

Yeah. It's really bad when you're not seven anymore. The same with Goonies.

...And I hate to admit it, but Predator. The problem is I saw it a bunch when I was little, and to little kid me it was an interplanetary battle of the bad asses. I love the gently caress out of it, and I didn't really notice the underlying goofiness. Then I didn't see it again until about a year ago when I realized it'd been decades since I'd seen it last. I was all stoked to watch it again, but couldn't make it halfway through because it was like wading neck deep in cheese. I've tried a couple times since, but I actually kind of hate it now.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah. It's really bad when you're not seven anymore. The same with Goonies.

...And I hate to admit it, but Predator. The problem is I saw it a bunch when I was little, and to little kid me it was an interplanetary battle of the bad asses. I love the gently caress out of it, and I didn't really notice the underlying goofiness. Then I didn't see it again until about a year ago when I realized it'd been decades since I'd seen it last. I was all stoked to watch it again, but couldn't make it halfway through because it was like wading neck deep in cheese. I've tried a couple times since, but I actually kind of hate it now.

I'll defend Spaceballs to the death, but I'm with you on Goonies. Haven't seen Predator in ages.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

crepe and a cigarette?

its Flapjack and a Cigarette you piece of poo poo

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
First title that comes to mind is Iron Eagle.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Predator still owns. The only cheesy part is the beginning when the ultramacho super badass soldiers are laying waste to some goons. And that part is completely supposed to be exactly like it is

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The first ace ventura movie. Not because of the "twist" that people have been complaining about in recent years but because it just isn't very funny.

The second one still owns though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

The first couple of acts of the movie are deliberately cheesy and over the top typical 80s action fare, the reason why the movie stands up is that the latter acts completely demolishes the macho idiocy that dominated the start of the movie. Arnie may have defeated the enemy, but the point is that now he knows better; he's an ugly motherfucker too.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I watched those angels in the outfield movies like 30 times as a child, Christopher Lloyd was uh the lead angel and they would cheat to help the Cubs win because the kids dad was in a wreck and died or something

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

communist kangaroo posted:

I watched those angels in the outfield movies like 30 times as a child, Christopher Lloyd was uh the lead angel and they would cheat to help the Cubs win because the kids dad was in a wreck and died or something

Speaking of baseball movies, I recently saw some of those Major League movies and they weren't nearly as funny or good as I remember as a kid. Also The Sandlot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I watched Tank Girl with my dad when I was 11 or 12 and thought it was the baddest-rear end thing I had ever seen. Thankfully it didn't inspire me to any idiotic pre-adolescent "phases," but I still don't really feel the need to revisit it.

Also, they technically don't count as "movies," but any and all syndicated TV movies with Kevin Sorbo as Hercules. I was obsessed with those loving things in fourth and fifth grade, but at least that obsession didn't extend to writing fanfiction, so thanks for that, past self.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Dragonheart fits the bill perfectly.

The dragonhunters looked so cool at the time! And Sean Connery voicing the dragon! :allears:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Predator is one of the most perfect films ever made. Every aspect of it is made to hit exactly where it's meant to. It's a precise and near flawless films.

I remember getting to the cinema an hour early to get my ticket for the premier of the Mario Bros film because it was the MARIO MOVIE of COURSE it was going to sell out and break all kinds of box office records! I'd have to fight to get a ticket, then claw my way to a decent seat. The showing was going to be a packed, heaving mass of rad, cool dudes just like me in my Mario t-shirt and shorts.

Like gently caress it was.

I was the only dummy there. I sat and watched the mario movie alone in the main screen and it was AWESOME.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

mac and me

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
robot jocks. i tried rewatching it. very bad.

also that movie about the crime fighting helicopter. also bad.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
...but Dragonslayer will always rule and nobody will ever be able to convince me otherwise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Wizard.

It's weird in that I genuinely loved it as a kid because hey, it was a movie with the princess bride kid and Nintendo! I played Mario 3 before I saw it, and my local theatre didn't play it, so I I missed out on that big reveal being some amazing thing. I love the soundtrack, Christian Slater and Beau Bridges trucking around being dysfunctional goofs, and really.... I still love it.

But I know it's bad. I just don't care. He touched her breasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

de_dust posted:

robot jocks. i tried rewatching it. very bad.

also that movie about the crime fighting helicopter. also bad.

I refuse to rewatch Robot Jox because it was so great to me as a kid and I don't want to sully it.

• Locked thread