Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
talkingvocoder
Nov 25, 2016

Lets all look back and see how we got here. After that, let's get as drunk as we can so we will never remember this story ever again.
Rules of Attraction

Why I watched it, I liked the whole weird Tarantino connection in regards to the director, and now I realized later that even if you're connected to Tarantino, there's still a chance you can't make a good movie for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

talkingvocoder posted:

Rules of Attraction

Why I watched it, I liked the whole weird Tarantino connection in regards to the director, and now I realized later that even if you're connected to Tarantino, there's still a chance you can't make a good movie for poo poo.

It's even worse if you consider it a spin-off of American Psycho, since the main character is Patrick Bateman's brother.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
On the Mel Brooks tip, I used to think Robin Hood: Men In Tights was hilarious when I was a kid/teenager. I bought it on DVD about five or so years ago and it clearly is not. I don't know about Spaceballs though because it's been way longer since I last saw that and I probably shouldn't.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ProfessorMurder posted:

It's even worse if you consider it a spin-off of American Psycho, since the main character is Patrick Bateman's brother.

way to out yourself, millenial.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched a lot of terrible 90s movies as a kid but the two I remember rewatching most were Dinosaur and Honey, I Shrunk Ourselves. Dinosaur ought to be obvious since every boy in the 90s was on the dinosaur bandwagon. I never figured out why we only had that one Honey X Shrunk Y iteration and not any of the others. Either way I thought it was hilarious at the time.

They'll always be perfect movies in my mind, right alongside Flubber, The Mummy, and The Prince of Egypt, since I haven't seen any of them since before I entered middle school

Edit: oh and Antz. I watched the poo poo out of that one

Antivehicular posted:

I watched Tank Girl with my dad when I was 11 or 12

username checks out

kalel fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 27, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie. I'm honestly amazed my parents didn't drown me in the bathtub.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

FizFashizzle posted:

way to out yourself, millenial.

I was born in 1984 and I read American Psycho before it was a movie. I'm, like, so offended right now, I can't even. I'm literally shaking.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
I haven't seen it in a while, but I may have to agree with Spaceballs being a bit stale. Does everyone else fast forward through the 5 minute panning across the ship scene right at the beginning?

I also used to love that Disney all stars "don't do drugs" movie.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_All-Stars_to_the_Rescue

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie. I'm honestly amazed my parents didn't drown me in the bathtub.

the antagonist was made of purple Nickelodeon slime and I feel like that eagle zord trying to imitate metro tracks would have murdered everyone on that train

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Drunken Baker posted:

I refuse to rewatch Robot Jox because it was so great to me as a kid and I don't want to sully it.

I love Robot Jox even as an adult, it is so bad and hilarious. Every second is amazing.

This movie gets two thumbs up.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ProfessorMurder posted:

I was born in 1984 and I read American Psycho before it was a movie. I'm, like, so offended right now, I can't even. I'm literally shaking.

wtf i just confused true romance and rules of attraction holy poo poo i thin k i had a stroke mid post

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Batman Forever and Batman & Robin

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

nigga crab pollock posted:

for some reason we owned a dvd copy of austin powers: goldmember and my sister who was like, 8 was obsessed with it and watched it over and over again. my mom used to heavily police the media we consumed based on other people's hand-wringing but she kind of swung the other direction when she realized it was a futile effort and other people's hand wringing had prevented all of us from seeing actually good + cool things so she completely did not give a poo poo by the time this had happened.

we hadn't seen the other two austin powers but boy do i know that movie, scene for scene, line by line. there are a few good jokes but the entire thing is just aggressively mediocre but i guess the joke hadn't worn thin by the third movie since we had only seen that one

If only your mother knew that you are a goon.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

HJE-Cobra posted:

I love Robot Jox even as an adult, it is so bad and hilarious. Every second is amazing.

This movie gets two thumbs up.

Didn't someone in BYOB do a "let's watch" thread on it back in the day? And Starship Stroopers too. Both were cool and good.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Star Wars. I cannot imagine seeing it for the first time as an adult in TYOOL 2017. It's loving dire.

I was really into the Pippi Longstocking movies when I was a kid, but I may have just had a boner for Pippi, if my lifelong infatuation with slightly ugly, insane redheads is any indicator.

SniperFox
Mar 19, 2015
Brain Donors. back when John Turturro was a nobody. Mel Smith was in it too. I would cry from laughing so hard, now it's just a slight chuckle here and there. *sigh*

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
kevin smiths dogma. seemed so deep making fun of christianity as a teen, but when i stumbled into it on tv a few years ago it was all characters talking about how bible things weree tooootally rad and crazy piss poo poo stuff. some fourthgrader could write this stuff. "jesus is poopy"

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Jaws 2. Yeah yeah Jaws 3 and 4 usually get poo poo on for being absolutely terrible movies, but Jaws 2 is usually considered 'ok'. It's really not.

As a kid I loved it, thought it was just as good as the original since it had a little more violence and a cool shark death. Plus the whole teenagers stranded on boats thing was cool.

But I saw it a few years back and it's actually really bad. At least 3 and 4 tried something new and went nuts with it. 2 is just a bland copy of the original, including a contrived 'is Brody losing his mind?' and I guess a little teen slasher flare. It's just so aggressively mediocre and unoriginal that it's now my least favorite of the four.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the smb movie still owns as an adult, I just rewatched it last year

the pacing is perfect, the plot is interesting for a game based on running to the right, the score is fantastic 90's action-adventure fare with stuff like joe satriani thrown in for flavor, koopa is literally trump, and daisy is jus hot as all gently caress

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

facebook jihad posted:

Jaws 2. Yeah yeah Jaws 3 and 4 usually get poo poo on for being absolutely terrible movies, but Jaws 2 is usually considered 'ok'. It's really not.

As a kid I loved it, thought it was just as good as the original since it had a little more violence and a cool shark death. Plus the whole teenagers stranded on boats thing was cool.

But I saw it a few years back and it's actually really bad. At least 3 and 4 tried something new and went nuts with it. 2 is just a bland copy of the original, including a contrived 'is Brody losing his mind?' and I guess a little teen slasher flare. It's just so aggressively mediocre and unoriginal that it's now my least favorite of the four.

Yup. I had loving TERRIBLE taste in my teens, just unforgivably bad.

The phrase "tits like a sparrow" still sticks in my mind after all these years, though. I mean, what?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Auritech posted:

On the Mel Brooks tip, I used to think Robin Hood: Men In Tights was hilarious when I was a kid/teenager. I bought it on DVD about five or so years ago and it clearly is not. I don't know about Spaceballs though because it's been way longer since I last saw that and I probably shouldn't.

Eh, I think it holds up better than most of Mel Brooks' work. There are a few cringey bits and it's nothing amazing but it's a decent enough comedy flick all told.

As for the topic:

YOU GOT THE TOUCH

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm gonna say Killer Klowns From Outer Space. I remember loving that stupid movie as a kid, then I watched it recently and it was just really boring.

That awesome theme song is the only good thing about it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Starship troopers

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Straight White Shark posted:

YOU GOT THE TOUCH

This film ruled as a kid because it's like you watched these transformers fight each other for however many seasons there were before the movie, and then bam, you've got the same robots killing each other in the movie. It's like going from nerf guns to high caliber rifles.

The line, "I've got better things to do tonight than die," still owns.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

When I was a kid I would watch this scifi movie called Screamers over and over again. The premise was some soldiers were fighting this never ending war on some fuckin sand planet and there were these robot things covered in buzzsaws called screamers that had been dropped into the sand to act as like mobile landmines, basically. Anyway, to young me this made total sense was a super awesome.

Then as time went on I started doubting my memories of the movie, especially since I had never met anyone who had heard of this movie, and the premise seemed too absurd to be true. I decided I'd probably dreamed the movie up.

But then lo and behold it was real, starring Peter Weller, no less. Does not hold up well on re-watch, especially the "twist" they reuse like 5 times in the movie where it turns out X character was a screamer all along. By the end something like 75% of the cast turned out to be hidden robots.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Tomato Burger posted:

I also used to love that Disney all stars "don't do drugs" movie.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_All-Stars_to_the_Rescue

I was like 7 when they showed this in class and I didn't know what the gently caress drugs were so I thought the bad guy was supposed to be a cigarette, good job D.A.R.E.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Any sci-fi movie like Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. I hadn't realized none of that stuff is allowable according to the rules of physics. :goonsay:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jukeboxblues posted:

its Flapjack and a Cigarette you piece of poo poo

I'm sorry I misremembered the joke from the bad Austin powers movie

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ITT goons with bad taste in movies

kecske posted:

mac and me

I thought it was poo poo as a kid but Paul Rudd using it as a running gag on Conan more than makes up for the time I wasted watching it.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
I asked my mom to rent this movie from the video store so much, she eventually took our VCR over to my uncle's house and taped this off of his HBO (he didn't have a vcr but did have HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1NpZxn860M

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
BMX Bandits

Nicole Kidman's first film, its how 3 kids stop some bad guys doing something (I forget) with their BMX's.

I had a lot of cousins and such my age, and we all raved and loved this movie. One of us would rent it, go to their house to watch it, then another would rent it again after and we would watch it at theirs.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Definitely Star Wars. Cheesy acting, non-sensical setting and a simplistic gud guys vs evil guys plot. The fact that it's such a major thing in modern popculture is a testament to lovely taste and bad sci-fi.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I used to like the movie TerrorVision as a kid.

It's goddamn terrible to watch these days but I'm still in love with its title music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzjYB8fuos

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
The ending to the Digimon movie is played out by Smash Mouth. The VHS also has a 4 minute Angela Anaconda short beforehand. If you don't know what Angela Anaconda is google it with a barf bag ready.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Definitely Star Wars. Cheesy acting, non-sensical setting and a simplistic gud guys vs evil guys plot. The fact that it's such a major thing in modern popculture is a testament to lovely taste and bad sci-fi.

Yeah except the score which is a brilliant masterpiece and perfectly ties all of the otherwise low budget and cheesy elements together and makes it all go.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Nick Rivers posted:

I asked my mom to rent this movie from the video store so much, she eventually took our VCR over to my uncle's house and taped this off of his HBO (he didn't have a vcr but did have HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1NpZxn860M

Oh hell yes. My friends and I used to make sarcastic Megaforce vehicles with legos.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Aix posted:

kevin smiths dogma. seemed so deep making fun of christianity as a teen, but when i stumbled into it on tv a few years ago it was all characters talking about how bible things weree tooootally rad and crazy piss poo poo stuff. some fourthgrader could write this stuff. "jesus is poopy"

I still like Dogma, but I tried to watch Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back recently and holy poo poo it was so painfully unfunny I shut it off maybe 1/3 of the way through cause I couldn't take it anymore

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

This horrible and (upon rewatching recently) pretty deeply racist film called "Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend" which was about finding dinosaurs in the Congo

This was the quality of the animatronics:

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
I never cared too much for the original Superman movies, mostly because he wasn't Batman and Spiderman and also because of all the liberties the filmmakers took, such as reversing the globe/time and ripping the S of his chest and throwing it at that guy. But I did like Superman 3 due to Richard Prior and it all being based on computers or what have you. Would watch every time it came on HBO/Showtime. Last year around when BvSDoJ came out Superman 3 was on a cable channel and I watched. Boy, was it horrible. Cheesy action, dialog, effects, you name it. I was astounded this had ever been made and I hadn't even made it out of the opening scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Mr.Tophat posted:

This film ruled as a kid because it's like you watched these transformers fight each other for however many seasons there were before the movie, and then bam, you've got the same robots killing each other in the movie. It's like going from nerf guns to high caliber rifles.

The line, "I've got better things to do tonight than die," still owns.

My first email address was bahweepgrahnahweepninibong@

• Locked thread