Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBI46ZkQpuM&t=86s

Nessa posted:

That's exactly why Ernest Scared Stupid was the best one.

My dad let me watch lots of r-rated movies when I was 4 years old, including the 80's remake of The Blob, Total Recall, and Rocky Horror Picture Show. He got me to laugh at the gory special effects so I wouldn't be scared.

From what my parents tell me, the only show that actually scared me as a child was an episode of Babar that featured a lake monster. I refused to take a bath until my parents swapped out the dark green tub mat with a different colour.

There was also an X-Files episode that creeped me out a lot too. I remember having a dream about hoards of glowing, green bugs in a dark forest.

that was a great episode, i love stuff where people struggle against monsters together. thats why i loved the Romero Dawn of the Dead so much as well. my dad and I used to watch the IFC halloween marathons.The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, all that good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I remember being seriously spooked out by the made-for-TV version of The Langoliers as a kid, only to rewatch it a bit later and realized just how completely laughable it is. Especially the incredible special effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxpXWBRjng

:laffo:

So this aired in 2 parts when I was in grade 7, I think. I remember because I missed the first part and my friend at the time sold me on the concept: A bunch of people wake on a plane, everyone else is missing, land at an airport, time is frozen, they hear this munching sound in the distance, turns out there's monsters that eat time, they're trapped in the past, that's why time travel doesn't exist or something.

Sounds sellable as an Outer Limits episode.

Then the second part had the titular Langdoliers you see in the above youtube.

It had Balki from Perfect Strangers just hamming it up.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Dubplate Fire posted:

This but I was 6 when my dad gave up. Earnest scared stupid was p good tho.

My parents left me at my grandmother's house overnight when I was like 6 and she fell asleep on the couch with Fox on. This was when Fox was a UHF network showing syndicated garbage. So I saw C.H.U.D. when I was in first grade. It's okay, as 80's horror goes.

The only movie I ever had taken away was some vampire movie called Graveyard Shift, because it starts in a strip club and there are boobies. (Horrific vampire murder was perfectly okay.) I wanted the Stephen King one anyway. I have seen the vampire Graveyard Shift as an adult. It is bad, but I'm pretty sure child me wouldn't have liked it either.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Nessa posted:

There was also an X-Files episode that creeped me out a lot too. I remember having a dream about hoards of glowing, green bugs in a dark forest.

Did you by any chance grow up in a logging town? That episode really creeped me out as well and the fact that the bugs were released from the rings of trees that got cut down mixed with me growing up in a logging town turned the creepout dial to the max.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i loving loved bee movie when i was a kid

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tumble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBI46ZkQpuM&t=86s

that was a great episode, i love stuff where people struggle against monsters together. thats why i loved the Romero Dawn of the Dead so much as well. my dad and I used to watch the IFC halloween marathons.The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, all that good stuff.

Oh my gosh, I haven't seen that scene in years! The blob coming out of the sink was something that really stuck with me.

I'm also reminded of it every tine I watch Ghostbusters 2 with the goo coming out of the bathtub.

I always liked Ghostbusters 2.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Corny Cornflake posted:

Did you by any chance grow up in a logging town? That episode really creeped me out as well and the fact that the bugs were released from the rings of trees that got cut down mixed with me growing up in a logging town turned the creepout dial to the max.

Nope! Grew up in the prairies. No idea why that was the one episode that got to me.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

i was getting p old by the time that came out, but still dumb enough not to realize it so yeah. i watched a lot of similar aggressively mediocre ones like dragonheart, thee musketeers, and first knight(i used to think this was one of the best movies ever made lol). i still like three musketeers tho

also goes without saying but ever Jim Carrey movie of the 90s. loved the poo poo out of them then but awful now (except truman show is still p good)

Ace Ventura is good. It's a bad comedy but with a main character so bizarre he doesn't belong at all and it owns

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

3 Ninjas

Thanks to a gay sibling I have seen Bring It On no fewer than 50 times. Bring It On is not a good movie and I will fight you with a rusty potato peeler.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I grew up in the 70s, so probably every movie I saw as a kid.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

nigga crab pollock posted:

Ace Ventura is good. It's a bad comedy but with a main character so bizarre he doesn't belong at all and it owns

have you actually watched them in the past 10 years?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
the heman movie, i think that is the first ending credits scene that i remember in a movie and it scared the poo poo out of me as a kid

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

cool new Polack jokes posted:

3 pages and nobody has said Twister?

I was inexplicably obsessed with tornadoes as a kid to the point where I'd watch the Weather Channel for several hours in the hopes that they'd show a couple seconds of footage from one. Likewise, I probably watched Twister, as well as several made-for-T.V. movies about tornadoes, 10+ times each. They were pretty awful in hindsight but all 10 year old me cared about was seeing nature gently caress poo poo up. :black101:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My siblings and I also rented Gremlins 2 like 20 times and pissed off our parents to no end, but I stand by that one as still awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2K1vqcuuc

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

kumba posted:

I still like Dogma, but I tried to watch Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back recently and holy poo poo it was so painfully unfunny I shut it off maybe 1/3 of the way through cause I couldn't take it anymore

If you're really, really stoned this is the funniest movie ever made. If you're sober it is perhaps the worst.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Tumble posted:

We hated Ernest Scared Stupid though. I think both of us were just way too loving scared by it, because we used to love the other Ernest movies, but we'd always skip over Scared Stupid because it's actually pretty drat scary.
I really loved Ernest Scared Stupid and still think it's a good children's movie. I didn't know how many parents were upset about it being frightening until I was an adult. That still confuses me, because Ernest Goes to Jail features Ernest being on death row and executed by the electric chair which instead gives him super powers but whatever. I'd hesitate showing that to kids over an R-rated movie just on how tone-deaf it is.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

3 Ninjas

Thanks to a gay sibling I have seen Bring It On no fewer than 50 times. Bring It On is not a good movie and I will fight you with a rusty potato peeler.

Surf ninjas is worse. :smith:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

mind the walrus posted:

My siblings and I also rented Gremlins 2 like 20 times and pissed off our parents to no end, but I stand by that one as still awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2K1vqcuuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

3 Ninjas

Bring It On is a substantially better film than most of the other movies being discussed in this thread, sorry it's been ruined for you

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Now as a kid I watched a shitload of horror films, I loved gore effects and never had any problems or nightmares even from the worst of them.
But there is a scene at the start of Red Sonja where they throw some Druids/Priests into a pit that has a door at the top, that is opened with a key.
And they toss the people in and remove the key that starts it to close. And the guy throws in the key into the pit so it could never be opened.

Now that simple scene scared the gently caress out of me, shock scares dont phase me, but that knowledge of the people left to starve to death in the dark unsettled me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LGD posted:

Bring It On is a substantially better film than most of the other movies being discussed in this thread, sorry it's been ruined for you
Brrrrrrrrr. Is it cold in here? There must be some Toros in the atmosphe.....e....e....ee...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dubplate Fire posted:

Earnest scared stupid was p good tho.

Speaking of, has anybody actually sat through Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam? I figure that any kid who was an Ernest fan would enjoy that movie too, but it was just one of those things that nobody really talked about. I never saw it, I never heard of anybody seeing it, I just remember that cover art and wondering what the gently caress was up with Ernest and why he had a hand on his head.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Brrrrrrrrr. Is it cold in here? There must be some Toros in the atmosphe.....e....e....ee...

Roger Ebert once called Bring It On "the 'Citizen Kane' of cheerleader movies."

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017
I was a huge fan of Pauly Shore movies as a pre-adolescent. It led to me assuming one could be a tool and still get incredibly hot women. It turned out to be a false assumption.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

LGD posted:

Bring it On is a better film that it should be. Josie and the Pussycats is another one like that. By all rights they should suck, but they're just clever enough to be fairly watchable.

A kids movie that is actually The poo poo despite not really having any right to be? Babe 2, a Pig in the City

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Know what movie still holds up?

From Dusk to Dawn.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Boyz n the Hood is absolutely terrible. When I saw it in middle school, I thought it was great.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bimmi posted:

The phrase "tits like a sparrow" still sticks in my mind after all these years, though. I mean, what?

Sparrows attack and kill the birds commonly known as tits.

Also, basically every comedy from the 90s was awful, just awful. Weird thing I noticed watching late night hotel TV: Almost every single Adam Sandler movie has him horribly injure or kill an innocent person.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lordshmee posted:

If you're really, really stoned this is the funniest movie ever made. If you're sober it is perhaps the worst.

Don't lie, it's terrible stoned too.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

de_dust posted:

Know what movie still holds up?

From Dusk to Dawn.

It's still poo poo? This is the vampire movie, right?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

It's still poo poo? This is the vampire movie, right?

yes to one of those questions

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-ftZyb4rw

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

Boyz n the Hood is absolutely terrible. When I saw it in middle school, I thought it was great.
There's some legit stuff in there, even if it is a parable start to finish.

poisonpill posted:

Also, basically every comedy from the 90s was awful, just awful.
That reminds me of another favorite from when I was a kid. Biodome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZzRI0JJwNM
These are the loving highlights people.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

M.C. McMic posted:

gently caress you.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
For me it would have to be Clash of the Titans. We had just got HBO, this was probably around 1982.
It was on every afternoon when I got home from school, so I watched it like 20 times and thought it was amazing.
I have since seen clips that prove otherwise.
The sinful boner I had for Ursula Andress remains, however.

e:

gnarlyhotep fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 28, 2017

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The American godzilla movie

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Reign of Fire

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

gnarlyhotep posted:

The sinful boner I had for Ursula Andress remains, however.

There are no heterosexual men of your generation who can cast the first stone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Half Baked sucks and I can't imagine why I even liked it in the first place aside from being about a "taboo" thing like weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Half Baked sucks and I can't imagine why I even liked it in the first place aside from being about a "taboo" thing like weed.

I will sometimes drop an "Abba-Zabba, you're my only friend" from that movie, and I have no idea why that stuck with me. Half Baked is not good.

• Locked thread