Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I care deeply what other people think of my entertainment. This is a priority in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

The undertaker retired this year after nearly 30 years in the WWF.

They had him lose his last match to the least popular high-profile wrestler in the company.

No Randy Orton beat Bray Wyatt

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

Anyone else have any tips?

Don't use terms like "heel" "face" and "kayfaybe" in normal conversation. Us normos know they're wrestling terms now

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My honest opinion about wrestling as someone who tries to keep up with it now and then more out of nostalgia than anything else:

It was a lot of fun back in the good old days of like the late 80's-early 2000's but it's really bad now. I think part of the reason why was that the characters were just larger than life and you had some guys who just bled charisma (Hogan, Flair, the Rock, Austin) and you just really got into them.

Nowadays I feel like everyone kind of looks the same and it has more of a focus on athleticism than character and story. Plus I don't think WWE has had an original idea creatively on over a decade. I kind of blame internet fans on this one, since they make up a significant portion of the smaller fan base than the old days and they seem to want this. The types who lined Chris Benoit over the Rock, for instance. The other large portion is kids who will just eat up anything.

Maybe I'm completely off base but I honestly don't like any of the wrestlers these days. Like the New Day (if they're still around) are pretty cool and AJ Styles is just a beast. The women's division is actually pretty good so I applaud that, but goddam Roman Reigns and the Miz and those types are just so boring I can't get into it and wind up turning it off after trying to watch for 20 minutes.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
ITS STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
*weeps openly*

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
The best part of wrestling is the back stage stuff, like how Jimny Snuka got off of a murder because lawyers convinced the jury that his character was real.

Or how Stephanie McMahon fired Patrice O'Neal over the phone several times over the course of a day because he didn't seem upset when she did it the first time.

Or how Chris Benoit murdered his wife and child with wrestling moves.

Or how Randy Orton has a reputation for making GBS threads in people's luggage.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

facebook jihad posted:

Maybe I'm completely off base but I honestly don't like any of the wrestlers these days. Like the New Day (if they're still around) are pretty cool and AJ Styles is just a beast. The women's division is actually pretty good so I applaud that, but goddam Roman Reigns and the Miz and those types are just so boring I can't get into it and wind up turning it off after trying to watch for 20 minutes.

It's become very much a case of the wrestlers that are actually entertaining on their own merits vs. the wrestlers that WWE keeps trying to convince you are entertaining.

I mean, they've pretty much acknowledged that Reigns is a bit poo poo and no one likes him but they are going to keep putting him in main events until you loving accept it and learn to love him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
the miz is really really really really really really really really loving terrible

i listen to a wrestling podcast these days to keep up, because i used to watch wrestling from about the mid-90s to the mid-00s but became disillusioned with weird racist gimmicks

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
There recently was a wrestle mania near where I live and the amount of people that I know that went to it was to drat high. I have since started to purge those friends and onboard new ones.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
OP i tell everyone I love wrasslin and then we joke about it because im a normal person and self deprecating humour is a good bond builder

gently caress roman THE BIG DOGG ITS MY YARD reigns
gently caress bray <--- always will be fat dumb husky harris
gently caress raw in general i hate myself thats why i watch it
push the fashion police to the moon
rusev for heavyweight champion
where the gently caress is AJ anymore?

its still real to me dammit

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shinsuke all day every day.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If you don't like lucha underground I don't care about your other opinions

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think Sasha Banks is hot and want to make her my waifu

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Her husband is a total goon. He's living the dream.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

YeahTubaMike posted:

i listen to a wrestling podcast these days to keep up, because i used to watch wrestling from about the mid-90s to the mid-00s but became disillusioned with weird racist gimmicks

i guess the people itt who say wrestling is bad but the people who like it are good are right.

wrestling bad:

fans good:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah Bray Wyatt that gently caress rear end. I remember he was supposed to have some legs but he loses every big match he has and lost all momentum he could have ever hoped for.

And Sheamus. Boring gently caress.

Didn't they bring back Goldberg and try to make that into a big deal? In 2016? They ruined him in 2002 who wants to see him again?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Actually OP wrestling is having a lot of trouble getting kids to watch it. It's why they've started making a bunch of cartoon movies with Scooby Doo and those surfing penguins, most of their fans are middle-aged dudes and they know that if they don't start attracting new blood their audience is going to start literally dying off.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

facebook jihad posted:

Didn't they bring back Goldberg and try to make that into a big deal? In 2016? They ruined him in 2002 who wants to see him again?

Good news they booked Goldberg like 1998 Goldberg and not 2002 Goldberg and everyone loved it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

facebook jihad posted:

Nowadays I feel like everyone kind of looks the same and it has more of a focus on athleticism than character and story. Plus I don't think WWE has had an original idea creatively on over a decade.

Please don't downplay WWE Champion Jinder Mahal and the Punjabi Prison.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHWmOEVd63E

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

exploded mummy posted:

Good news they booked Goldberg like 1998 Goldberg and not 2002 Goldberg and everyone loved it.

But he's old as gently caress now. Dude looks my uncle out there

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

facebook jihad posted:

he only had like 3 matches or something and none of them lasted more than 5 minutes. i liked the wrestlemania one with brock lesnar, it was the type of match you have when playing the video games but in real life.

Benjamin Danklin
Jun 9, 2017

Who doesn't wana watch their uncle fight

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Guy Mann posted:

Actually OP wrestling is having a lot of trouble getting kids to watch it. It's why they've started making a bunch of cartoon movies with Scooby Doo and those surfing penguins, most of their fans are middle-aged dudes and they know that if they don't start attracting new blood their audience is going to start literally dying off.

This gives me hope for today's youth.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uh bayley is not thick or hot

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm going to see RAW and SmackDown Live when they come to town next week.

Me when I get into the arena.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I had it on tv like a year or two ago and apparently the Dudley Boyz came back and it was a big deal. I texted my brother and was like 'whoa the Dudley Boyz are back' that's kinda cool. Then I changed the channel.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

Oh yeah Bray Wyatt that gently caress rear end. I remember he was supposed to have some legs but he loses every big match he has and lost all momentum he could have ever hoped for.

And Sheamus. Boring gently caress.

To the surprise of literally everyone they've been booking Goldberg even better than wcw did in his prime

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

Congrats on your huge terrifying uncle I guess?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I want to suck the dick of that poster's hot bearish uncle.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
and this is why old wrestlers who gas in two minutes like goldberg headline mania its cause normies want to pop in once a year to "update" themselves on wrestling cause they know itll be a hashtag that night :eyeroll:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Do it ironically posted:

and this is why old wrestlers who gas in two minutes like goldberg headline mania its cause normies want to pop in once a year to "update" themselves on wrestling cause they know itll be a hashtag that night :eyeroll:

I think it's actually because the wwe doesn't put any effort in actually trying to build new stars and will actively stiffle people who start getting over on their own

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Idk about wrestling but I found a medium sized tap out shirt and I'm pretty sure it's the only one in existence so I wear it like some kind of rare treasure

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

tao of lmao posted:

I care deeply what other people think of my entertainment. This is a priority in my life.

says the guy peer pressured into having the Correct Politics Opinion For Smart People

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think it's actually because the wwe doesn't put any effort in actually trying to build new stars and will actively stiffle people who start getting over on their own

excuse me hard body mahal would like a word with you #maharaja

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aesop Poprock posted:

To the surprise of literally everyone they've been booking Goldberg even better than wcw did in his prime

Your informed posts show how little I keep up with it today. If they are doing a good job with him that's awesome. Hopefully he owns the poo poo out of Roman Reigns

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

Your informed posts show how little I keep up with it today. If they are doing a good job with him that's awesome. Hopefully he owns the poo poo out of Roman Reigns

I'll be honest I don't watch too regularly and I was never a fan of goldberg in the past but since he barely wrestles and is in so few spots it's been easy to go through and notice they've been owning it the way he's presented. His match at WM with Brock Lesnar was a lot of fun considering how little they actually did

There's something going on with Brock and Samoa Joe now that looks promising too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

Eh, it's not like they don't put in effort, but they tend to focus more on bigger dudes instead of the flippy constantly injured dudes

They did a hell of a job with Braun and by god it's not like they don't push Roman. They're also attempting to break the record for fastest jobber to champion push ever with Jinder.

• Locked thread