Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is best in optimizer pipeline
value numbering
code motion
peepholing
loop idiom recognition
legalization
thread gassing
op banning
View Results

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ssa form: cool and good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
how do you feel about the tendency to call compilers whose output is not assembly language "transpilers"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
alright those were all easy let's do a fun one. what optimization passes do you think are most dangerous? i'm not referring to how they interact with a buggy program, because that would vary based on the program, i mean the compiler code itself. which aggressive optimizations are most likely to accidentally generate incorrect code because they're hella complicated/old/unmaintained/no one sane ever uses them? and don't tell me none or i'll ask for a formal proof :v:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you didn't answer my hard question so here's another easy one: to compile a compiler, do you need a compiler compiler? if so, how do you compile the compiler compiler?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that'll teach you to program in C :colbert:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you should try java, it will teach you how to actually program and get a real legitimate job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you feel the need for typedef you probably need to make a class

• Locked thread