Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is best in optimizer pipeline
value numbering
code motion
peepholing
loop idiom recognition
legalization
thread gassing
op banning
View Results

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I prefer assemblers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rjmccall posted:

on the other hand, how exactly are we writing the machine code without a computer? once upon a time i think you could toggle this stuff directly into memory using switches or something on the side of the storage system, but those days are gone.

are they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV1ki6LiEmg

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yours for only $621

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

c/++ are supposed to compile down to asm in a very direct manner. if you want higher level functionality, you need to look elsewhere

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

again, totally not the use case for C (operating systems, low level programs and embedded code too big for assembly)

use java or Visual Basic or whateverthefuck

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s the kind of thinking that gets you systems so bloated they can’t even run on a calculator

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah but then I won’t be able to run it on my Atari 800XL

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

c allows you to write code that can be ported to different hardware with minimal effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I would like to write a toy compiler (or even just an interpreter for a toy language) but not want to have to read 10,000 pages first. Where should I realistically start?

http://www.atariarchives.org/2bml/

• Locked thread