Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is best in optimizer pipeline
value numbering
code motion
peepholing
loop idiom recognition
legalization
thread gassing
op banning
View Results

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
https://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

rjmccall posted:

it's the dominant way of handling data flow when control flow merges in ssa

here's a dumb c program

C code:
int x;
if (whatever) {
  x = foo();
} else {
  x = bar();
}
baz(x);
in a more explicit representation that isn't yet in proper ssa form, this looks like:

code:
  if %whatever goto trueBlock else goto falseBlock
trueBlock:
  %fooResult = call @foo()
  store %fooResult to %x
  goto contBlock
falseBlock:
  %barResult = call @bar()
  store %barResult to %x
  goto contBlock
contBlock:
  %mergedValue = load %x
  call @baz(%mergedValue)
the purpose of ssa is to make this data flow explicit, i.e. we don't want to see this opaque load from a variable, we want to see the last value stored there. in a lot of cases, that's easy enough to do, but how do we talk about it after this kind of control-flow merge, where the value is different based on where we came from?

phi nodes are the dominant answer. a phi node is a sort of pseudo-instruction you can put at the start of a block when it has multiple predecessors like this, and it basically says what the value is when coming from all the predecessors:

code:
trueBlock:
  %fooResult = call @foo()
  goto contBlock
falseBlock:
  %barResult = call @bar()
  goto contBlock
contBlock:
  %mergedValue = phi %fooResult from trueBlock, %barResult from falseBlock
  call @baz(%mergedValue)
they suck because they're a weird orthogonal special case. they look like instructions, but they can only go at the start of a block, and the values they use are not normally valid to reference in the block. if you were writing some optimization involving calls to @foo, and you wanted to insert code everywhere the return value is used, you can't add it here; you have to recognize that the use is a phi node and put the code at the end of trueBlock instead

the way better alternative is to say that basic blocks can have parameters and gotos can have arguments, which ends up looking kindof like a functional program with a lot of explicit tail calls:

code:
trueBlock:
  %fooResult = call @foo()
  goto contBlock(%fooResult)
falseBlock:
  %barResult = call @bar()
  goto contBlock(%barResult)
contBlock(%mergedValue):
  call @baz(%mergedValue)

CPS >> SSA

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

rjmccall posted:

you should read the spj paper linked from the tweet in the op

yeah but equivalent doesn't mean better than

continuations for life

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

rjmccall posted:

you should read the spj paper linked from the tweet in the op

but that paper is cool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/join-points-pldi17.pdf

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

peep my neg hole

• Locked thread