Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is best in optimizer pipeline
value numbering
code motion
peepholing
loop idiom recognition
legalization
thread gassing
op banning
View Results

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JewKiller 3000 posted:

how do you feel about the tendency to call compilers whose output is not assembly language "transpilers"

"transpiler" just means "compiler that i sneer at" and js people are trying to claim it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

i like how once a C compiler encounters undefined behaviour, not only is that behaviour and what follows undefined, but stuff before the undefined behaviour becomes undefined as well.

later undefined behavior can loosen constraints on earlier behavior

like fro m http://blog.llvm.org/2011/05/what-every-c-programmer-should-know.html "Knowing the multiplication "cannot" overflow (because doing so would be undefined) allows optimizing "X*2/2" to "X"."

idk what the order of operations in c is and in what order x*2/2 should get evaluated but yeah

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

redleader posted:

oh yeah, that's right

related (but possibly a little off topic) question: what's up with the c/c++ standards committees that makes them prefer undefined over implementation-defined behavior? i mean surely most compilers would know their target's behavior with (un)signed overflow (for example)

undefined is implementation-defined

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

compilers are black magic to me op

write one to disabuse yourself of that notion

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

or just crack open a cold one and spend a few minutes compiling a lovely postscript/forth style calculator to c

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

do I know anyone stupid enough to run the linker as root 🤔

uh literally anyone running it in a docker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!