Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is best in optimizer pipeline
value numbering
code motion
peepholing
loop idiom recognition
legalization
thread gassing
op banning
View Results

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
whats a runtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RISCy Business posted:

not much what's up with you

p good, almost rumtime

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Gazpacho posted:

yosproject: successfully toggle a program that beeps into an x86 using a manually switched JTAG fixture
you're controlling the clock, so the mechanical part isn't all that taxing just tedious, hundreds but not thousands

you'd catch the reset, then key in a write of like 6 bytes to the reset vector which would land in the cache, release reset and go

2 bytes to port, 2 bytes to mangle the arg, 2 bytes to jump back to 0xfffffff0

hifi posted:

i remember reading an article about what would we do if all the hard drives everywhere were wiped but i can't find it
some goon, swsp?, did a paper or something about that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
whats the worst ABI you've actually had to emit against

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i got tricked by a compiler

i left a status thing uninitialized, it determined that the only value assigned was ERROR, elided the entire function and just kicked that back

that all makes sense, but why wouldn't volatile writes prevent the total collapse? shouldn't those get preserved even if the rest of the code drops away?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rjmccall posted:

something you were doing was undefined behavior
:mad:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DuckConference posted:

the volatile write was to a global variable, right, and not to something local like a pointer you declared locally within the function?
rjmccall was right, control flow

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 11, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's the over/under for how long before BDCE gets too clever and exposes a timing attack

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

on the other hand, Ive been stuck with gcc for the last month and I forgot how bad it is. clang is so good.

lol here i am whining that clang doesn't keep the inferred guess at a signature flexible enough to admit the later decl is good enough

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Silver Alicorn posted:

c/++ are supposed to compile down to asm in a very direct manner. if you want higher level functionality, you need to look elsewhere

also i don't understand this argument, if i wanted to write asm id write asm

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's the worst overloading on a single word

i bet it's 'weak' is it weak

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

weak is pretty bad

i blanked on the various places 'static' can get jammed in, and i limit my exposure to auto, def at the top of my list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

agreed. let me post this to the mailing list of a few thousand developers and see how that turns out

i know not what trick the first reply will hold

but the second will begin with "Please, don't do this,"

• Locked thread